When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I’d imagine most will keep the apps but also offer bar service too. 

Wetherspoons always managed to make it work well before all this. The main one I'd go to was at Liverpool lime Street so always on a time limit with trains, and I always ended up getting drinks much quicker with the the app!

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Table service only means less capacity so less profit making ability. No way bars will keep it when we get to big nights like Xmas eve and Hogmanay etc. My local is rammed on Xmas eve to the point you can barely move - nowhere is gonna turn that down.

Bars may need to compete for customers and also need to attract staff back from other jobs. Both could lead to a retaining table service, convenience for customers and tips for staff. Everyone wins. 

Major events will always diverge from this of course. 

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wetherspoons always managed to make it work well before all this. The main one I'd go to was at Liverpool lime Street so always on a time limit with trains, and I always ended up getting drinks much quicker with the the app!

I’ve never really used the Spoons app. 

Is it just for table service, or can you collect from the bar if ordering through the app? 

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I’ve never really used the Spoons app. 

Is it just for table service, or can you collect from the bar if ordering through the app? 

I'm actually not sure! I've always only used it for table service. Bars usually mental (was! Will be again) at the one I go to so not sure picking up would be so easy! 

9 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Bars may need to compete for customers and also need to attract staff back from other jobs. Both could lead to a retaining table service, convenience for customers and tips for staff. Everyone wins. 

Major events will always diverge from this of course. 

I imagine it'll be a gradual thing some bars might keep on doing table service or app ordering for a bit which over time reduces back to how things were. Saying that though it does seem a few around me are happy with ordering at your table online and a member of staff brings it over. It might make the staff feel more comfortable if they haven't been fully vaccinated not having loads of people age the bar?

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I just think it’s so bizarre to outright reject it and be kinda aggressive about it. It just stinks of insecure management that refuse to trust their employees or treat them like adults.

I’ve worked in environments that could be seen as toxic, and this is always the case. Irrational fears that your employees can’t be trusted without your supervision, to be point where the boss won’t even take a holiday.

I've spent a lot of the last year analysing labour market information as part of my job, and it's fascinating to see the completely differing approaches companies are taking. Some absolute fucking dinosaurs about. 

Really makes you appreciate working for a decent company! I know I really have this last year and a half. 

Edited by Zacko

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm actually not sure! I've always only used it for table service. Bars usually mental (was! Will be again) at the one I go to so not sure picking up would be so easy! 

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Table service only 

Ta. Hmmm, designing the pub of the future in my head now… 😂 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

At the end of the day there is going to be an exit wave whenever freedom day is announced. The virus has enough people to infect, between those who have chosen not to have the vaccine, those who can’t have it (children or those who are exempt for some medical reason) and the unlucky few who it doesn’t work on.

The argument is that waiting until all adults have been offered a second vaccine pushes that exit wave into September and October when the NHS is likely to be busier due to other respiratory viruses having the upper hand. If you think of who is protected by leaving it until then, it’s mainly healthy under 40’s who are highly unlikely to need hospital treatment if they’re infected. 

You basically have three choices:

1) Reopen now and deliberately infect a shit load of healthy young people (on top of the inevitable exit wave). Accept the long covid repercussions as well as a few unlucky hospitalisations and deaths. 

2) Reopen in September and have a smaller exit wave in terms of cases but the same if not higher in deaths, with serious pressure on the NHS.

3) Wait until spring 2022.

Option 2 is the one with the highest risk of overwhelming the NHS so that one is out and I don’t think the economy or society could handle another 9 months of lockdown so option 3 is a non-starter. That leaves option 1, where we take the exit wave on the chin now and reap the economic and personal freedom benefits. The big downside is that a lot of young people will end up with long covid, but that’s the least worst option IMO compared to potentially putting the NHS in danger in the autumn or another 9 months of lockdown. 

And you can catch it jab or not. We're all going catch it at somepoint. The most at risk at the most protected, everyone else has has the chance of some protection. 

People will end up in hospital and people will sadly die but that's unavoidable sadly.

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

TND has been briefed about potential vaccine passports for events and face nappies back on public transport in the winter. No legal limits on social contact.

That's just about OK. Anything more than that is unacceptable 

1 hour ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Yup, table service is definitely 'a good thing' in my book. Very civilised. I hope a few places keep it going. I do tip for table service to encourage this in my own small way. 

That's been the one good thing at work. Tips have gone through the roof. Everything else has been shit. 

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's an interesting article. Worth reading for anyone nervous about the 19th and beyond 

It is interesting, I’m nervous about about it and I’ve found it helpful to be honest.