When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

43 minutes ago, zahidf said:

That's interesting, models showing that releasing restrictions now could save more lives than waiting till all adults double jabbed...but at same time doesn't take into account booster jabs in the autumn.

Three things:

1) if India had been put on the red list when it should rather than when it was, we would be 2 weeks into freedom.

2) I’m already seeing venues that are planning on sticking with fixed tables, etc. I suspect those that can will those venues that can’t won’t

3) people who don’t feel safe won’t go out, no matter what you save you can do. Remember it took eat out to help out to kick start people going out last year. 

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

Three things:

1) if India had been put on the red list when it should rather than when it was, we would be 2 weeks into freedom.

2) I’m already seeing venues that are planning on sticking with fixed tables, etc. I suspect those that can will those venues that can’t won’t

3) people who don’t feel safe won’t go out, no matter what you save you can do. Remember it took eat out to help out to kick start people going out last year. 

3 good points.

Some of the venues in my town on their social media pages are saying they'll stick to mixed tables etc and won't go back to people queuing at the bars which is interesting.

I quit like the table service thing, as long as you don’t have to pre-book and there’s no limit on group size. 

Plenty of places in Europe pre pandemic were table service only and it worked fine. 

Queuing at the bar is a ball ache. As much as I hate Wetherspoons.. some nights we would go there just because of how quick you get served your drinks through the app versus the scrum at a bar, and then move on to somewhere more interesting later in the night. 

Edited by BobWillis2

5 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

Three things:

I think nightclubs are going to be packed

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That's interesting, models showing that releasing restrictions now could save more lives than waiting till all adults double jabbed...but at same time doesn't take into account booster jabs in the autumn.

Well that ISNT what the models say. The models they have is that the exit wave in winter would be worse.

3 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

I quit like the table service thing, as long as you don’t have to pre-book and there’s no limit on group size. 

Plenty of places in Europe pre pandemic were table service only and it worked fine. 

Queuing at the bar is a ball ache. As much as I hate Wetherspoons.. some nights we would go there just because of how quick you get served your drinks through the app versus the scrum at a bar, and then move on to somewhere more interesting later in the night. 

Yup, table service is definitely 'a good thing' in my book. Very civilised. I hope a few places keep it going. I do tip for table service to encourage this in my own small way. 

3 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I’m not saying they won’t be, but you will see a split night time economy where some venues will hold back on numbers and others won’t 

I dont think any clubs will limit numbers. They can't afford to do that.

At the end of the day there is going to be an exit wave whenever freedom day is announced. The virus has enough people to infect, between those who have chosen not to have the vaccine, those who can’t have it (children or those who are exempt for some medical reason) and the unlucky few who it doesn’t work on.

The argument is that waiting until all adults have been offered a second vaccine pushes that exit wave into September and October when the NHS is likely to be busier due to other respiratory viruses having the upper hand. If you think of who is protected by leaving it until then, it’s mainly healthy under 40’s who are highly unlikely to need hospital treatment if they’re infected. 

You basically have three choices:

1) Reopen now and deliberately infect a shit load of healthy young people (on top of the inevitable exit wave). Accept the long covid repercussions as well as a few unlucky hospitalisations and deaths. 

2) Reopen in September and have a smaller exit wave in terms of cases but the same if not higher in deaths, with serious pressure on the NHS.

3) Wait until spring 2022.

Option 2 is the one with the highest risk of overwhelming the NHS so that one is out and I don’t think the economy or society could handle another 9 months of lockdown so option 3 is a non-starter. That leaves option 1, where we take the exit wave on the chin now and reap the economic and personal freedom benefits. The big downside is that a lot of young people will end up with long covid, but that’s the least worst option IMO compared to potentially putting the NHS in danger in the autumn or another 9 months of lockdown. 

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

3 good points.

Some of the venues in my town on their social media pages are saying they'll stick to mixed tables etc and won't go back to people queuing at the bars which is interesting.

It’s been a very very long time since I worked behind a bar 🤦🏻‍♂️ But I reckon for larger venues with lots of space & tables they could serve at full capacity more efficiently through an app & table service.

From the publican’s point of view, the longer you’re queuing up, the longer you’re not drinking. If you can just order more to your table you drink more and spend more. And you’ve got to have staff out on the floor collecting glasses anyway - if they can do it on their way back from dropping off fresh ones, all the better.

Clearly that doesn’t work for all venues. If you’ve got a lot of customers standing then table service is no good!

Mind you, even then there’s room for improvement… click and collect drinks orders via app, like at McDonalds, maybe? 

It’s got to be better than the antics people go through to catch the barman’s eye in normal times 😂 Although maybe less likelihood of tips…

Edited by jimmillen

1 minute ago, dotdash79 said:

I’m not saying they won’t be, but you will see a split night time economy where some venues will hold back on numbers and others won’t 

Why would a venue hold back? They need the revenue, and now don't need to worry about an outbreak meaning having to close (or do they?)

Also, if don't need to do the table service thing why bother? Get more people in. Unless there are fewer people going out because nervous, but I think there will be a lot of people out. I can't wait to buy a drink at the bar.

4 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

It’s been a very very long time since I worked behind a bar 🤦🏻‍♂️ But I reckon for larger venues with lots of space & tables they could serve at full capacity more efficiently through an app & table service.

From the publican’s point of view, the longer you’re queuing up, the longer you’re not drinking. If you can just order more to your table you drink more and spend more…

Clearly that doesn’t work for all venues. If you’ve got a lot of customers standing then table service is no good!

Mind you, even then there’s room for improvement… click and collect drinks orders via app, like at McDonalds, maybe? 

It’s got to be better than the antics people go through to catch the barman’s eye in normal times 😂 Although maybe less likelihood of tips…

Haha yeah it's a bit better than waiting to catch the bartenders eye that's for sure. I think you are right about it working more for larger venues but then again as you say it means less people waiting at the bar so more drinking and money being spent.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Table service only means less capacity so less profit making ability. No way bars will keep it when we get to big nights like Xmas eve and Hogmanay etc. My local is rammed on Xmas eve to the point you can barely move - nowhere is gonna turn that down.

Depends if they can staff it I guess … the struggles to recruit hospitality workers are very real … they will max out whatever they can with the staff available I agree