When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

I get your point but if you were previously working in a very disruptive environment with constant distraction and interruption (which I was) then it's still possible to be more productive at home, even with the odd bit of downtime on here. 

Absolutely. But some people it is a lot more than a bit of downtime, especially over the winter months.

13 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Come off it mate. No one has that many breaks! It's simply when your boss isn't in the same room as you can do more of what you want on your computer.

What do you do for a living?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

I'm basing it on a discussion in here a few months ago, in which a good few people who are regulars were adamant that they were more productive at home. I find that hard to believe based on what I have seen on here for the last 18 months.

I guess those things would get picked up in appraisal type things ? presumably wfh and productivity is monitored and decisions made accordingly either from the business as a whole , the team or even down to an individual . So those businesses have made a choice and will continue to monitor things .... having been on here for quite a while efests is much busier during weekdays pandemic or no pandemic ... I dont think there has been a seismic shift in peoples behaviours 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

Excuse me? Haha. It's pretty obvious what I mean. If I was in the office and my boss walks past me watching youtube videos then I doubt she would be thrilled. No issue with that in my own flat. 

If you’re delivering what you’re meant to be delivering - or more - and meeting all the standards expected of your role, why should she care what you’re looking at?

Far too much of work life is still dictated by bad managers who can’t manage by output instead of hours.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

I get your point but if you were previously working in a very disruptive environment with constant distraction and interruption (which I was) then it's still possible to be more productive at home, even with the odd bit of downtime on here. 

If my kid isn't home and bored I get more done at home. Don't waste 90mins commuting, people talking to me about fuckknowswhat, and a cleaner who likes to come in mid afternoon and make a racket. My home working environment is so much more pleasant too...only problem is sometimes could really do with being in same room as someone to discuss something using  whiteboards etc....

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

If you’re delivering what you’re meant to be delivering - or more - and meeting all the standards expected of your role, why should she care what you’re looking at?

Far too much of work life is still dictated by bad managers who can’t manage by output instead of hours.

Are you kidding me on haha? Your boss would be fine with you sitting on here regularly or watching youtube videos? Hardly makes someone a slave driver for expecting people to not do that (at least when she is around).

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

are you referring to anyone in particular here ? ive no idea of anyones shift patterns and im not watching anyone that closely to know ... but it is a possibility ... If people studied my posting habits they could quite easily work out my day ... It might also seem like i spend all day on here as was mentioned yesterday .... which isnt totally accurate 

Indeed mate, sometimes perception isn't reality.

Some people are more productive without the distractions of the office environment with people around them all day long and have can the flexibility to manage their day how they see fit.

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sadly, I very much doubt that countries will welcome in anyone with a case rate of 50,000 per day, vaccinated or not

Fair- the UKs restrictions are only half the puzzle, but it depends on much they need the tourism revenue I guess. I wrote off foreign travel this year very early on anyway.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why do people get so het up about what other people do? Whether they work from home or not, whether they're productive or not, whether they plan to wear masks or not. You do you, why would you care how productive or not some strangers on the internet are? Baffling.

It's a discussion on a discussion forum...

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Absolutely. But some people it is a lot more than a bit of downtime, especially over the winter months.

It very much depends on what your job is. I have posted today more than I normally would and that's because I am doing a very boring task that involves waiting a huge amount of time for the system to respond. I have filled some of that time by browsing and posting on here. If I were in an office I'd have filled it with chatting to colleagues (probably making them less productive) or just staring into space. My point being I wouldn't have achieved a great deal more. The fact that I can use days doing these tasks to interact with people about things I am interested in probably keeps me happier in my job than I would be if I had to just stare into space waiting for a computer to respond. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Why do people get so het up about what other people do? Whether they work from home or not, whether they're productive or not, whether they plan to wear masks or not. You do you, why would you care how productive or not some strangers on the internet are? Baffling.

Actually this has been a major feature of the pandemic. People policing each other's behaviour. We have all been guilty of it at times, me included, but it can't be healthy.

6 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Excuse me? Haha. It's pretty obvious what I mean. If I was in the office and my boss walks past me watching youtube videos then I doubt she would be thrilled. No issue with that in my own flat. 

I've supervised different numbers of people at different times. I can't do my job from home but I've always worked on the basis that if the work is done to the required standard, I don't give a monkeys what else you get up to. Just don't take the piss. Might not be company policy (it never is) but it works for me

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

100% this. I don't see the fascination either.

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

I've supervised different numbers of people at different times. I can't do my job from home but I've always worked on the basis that if the work is done to the required standard, I don't give a monkeys what else you get up to. Just don't take the piss. Might not be company policy (it never is) but it works for me

That works well for people who a set number of 'tasks' to do a day. 

If you have a job where people can always do more or they always have more work to do you can't just measure outputs also you have those people who might be working insane hours because there I nobody making them go home or locking up. 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

If you aren’t fascinated then why did you constantly get involved in the discussion/arguing a few months ago? 

I meant I don't see the fascination in whether people are productive in their work or not. I'm interested in the overall discussion regarding future of working though.

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Yep working smarter not harder is always my thing as well. In the first month I started working at my current company I changed a process that was taking approx 2 hours to something that could be done in 20 minutes. If I put my feet up and did sweet fa for a month they'd still have saved a fortune by employing me. 

2 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

also you have those people who might be working insane hours because there I nobody making them go home or locking up. 

This is actually a bigger concern and one I am most guilty of. I am still working because I want to get the annoying boring task out of the way and will probably spend most of the night doing it even though they stopped paying me an hour ago. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

This is actually a bigger concern and one I am most guilty of. I am still working because I want to get the annoying boring task out of the way and will probably spend most of the night doing it even though they stopped paying me an hour ago. 

I do that too, it's a symptom of my OCD though where if I get an email come in late in the day, I find it very hard to leave it till the next day.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yep - I've been the same (and I'm and official home worker anyway) I'm hoping when there are other options I will finish work at more reasonable hours again but it's hard to break routine... And unlike my old office it's effort to go to the pub now.