When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would like to see flying banned for journeys than can be done with a train time of < 4 hours though. Given airport security times etc there is absolutely no reason why people should be flying from London to Edinburgh or Paris, for example. 

A good start would be making sure the trains were actually cheaper!

6 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yes Cummings isnt stupid... he is waiting for Hancock to hang himself even more before releasing any evidence. 

That or Cummings is a compulsive liar and was just full of shit? 

Well as we've seen evidence with our own eyes of Hancock denying things he said on national TV a few months before its not a huge leap that much of what Cummings said about him at least is true 

Edited by efcfanwirral

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would like to see flying banned for journeys than can be done with a train time of < 4 hours though. Given airport security times etc there is absolutely no reason why people should be flying from London to Edinburgh or Paris, for example. 

Pretty sure I've only flown once within this country (Edinburgh to London, about 10 years ago). And while it was only marginally quicker than train, possibly slower even when you factor getting from Heathrow, it was a shit tonne cheaper.

Edited by philipsteak

Just now, philipsteak said:

Pretty sure I've only flown once within this country (Edinburgh to London, about 10 years ago. And while it was only marginally quicker than train, possibly slower even when you factor getting from Heathrow, it was a shit tonne cheaper.

You can fly from Manchester to Newquay now.

43 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What it was? Maybe not. We've been through a huge thing. And we might reopen here this year but it'll still be going on in the rest of the world. It will change everything, for sure. It's similar to the world wars in that way - it's a huge global event that will change how we look at things for a long time to come.

From the direct and obvious: pandemic planning, hospital capacity and so forth will all be looked at and improved and there will be big news stories every time a potential pandemic rears its head (which is actually fairly often - this one just happened to be "the big one") - through to the smaller and less obvious: the work from home rabbit won't go back in the hat, which will change lifestyles for many and the distribution of certain services for all.

So yeah, it's going to change things. There might even be casualties along the way: some things we used to have may not really come back in the same way. And some things that were already dying may have been speeded along. Nightclubs and pubs were already in massive decline pre-pandemic. As people learn to live without them, and a generation grow up without being introduced to them, that gets worse.

But gigs and festivals were on the rise pre-pandemic and won't be going anywhere (arguably the massive explosion in live music and comedy over the past decade is one of the reasons that regular pubs and nightclubs are struggling in the first place).

It'll be a different world, and it'll be a few years before the world as a whole emerges out of this, and we stop seeing news stories on it. But it won't necessarily be worse. And much of the change will be things that would have happened over the next decade anyway. It'll just feel a bit more bumpy as it'll all happen at once.

(Like, I'm sure in 20 years time the idea of regularly being able to fly places on holiday for a long weekend in Europe or such will be gone entirely - but we'll barely notice as it'll happen slowly, flight prices going up and up year by year)

The most depressing thing I've read in a while. That people are so resigned to the new mediocre half-life that is being created makes me feel a bit hopeless. To think in 1968 there was a pandemic that killed a few million worldwide when the world's population was half of what it is now. Things didn't change at all and when I speak to people who lived through it, they don't even remember it. Now we have people acceptant of living in a dystopian, biosecurity state for the rest of their lives because of the illogical psychological trauma created by the media during this last year and a half. You speak solely for yourself when you say 'it won't necessarily be worse'. It will be worse. We shouldn't learn to live without nightclubs and travel and pubs opening properly. Many of my best friends I met travelling or when mingling at a bar. We are robbing people of human connection and friendships and memories and I hope people have enough fight in them to demand a real life back, rather than this current half-life than shows no sign of ending cause people have lost all concept of risk and mortality. I would trade the final five years of my life to get back the time in my twenties lost to lockdown.

Edited by ryan1992
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah, I think this is totally reasonable. But it needs governments with some fucking backbone and gumption to implement and not listen to the whining from the public.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I genuienly think it's concerning and we are not out of the woods by a long shot personally. September/October will be telling/.

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I assume the findings that it's more deadly will be released just before the end of the 2-4 week delay...

fake SAGE running their hands with glee over the extra papers and tv appearances they can make calling for backwards steps and 'painless' 3 week total lockdowns 'just in case'

Edited by zahidf

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

How on earth is it not taking off everywhere else then like the Kent one did? Seriously I am perplexed.

I suppose it could be argued it hasn't had the time to travel but as you say after we'd discovered the Kent variant cases exploded absolutely everywhere and that was with most places having tighter restrictions than they do now 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

fake SAGE running their hands with glee over the extra papers and tv appearances they can make calling for backwards steps and 'painless' 3 week total lockdowns 'just in case'

Here is he - wheres your hourly Daily Mail update.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Chapple12345 said:

I suppose it could be argued it hasn't had the time to travel but as you say after we'd discovered the Kent variant cases exploded absolutely everywhere and that was with most places having tighter restrictions than they do now 

Wasn't Kent virus taking off in parts of SE for a month or two before it spread throughout the country?

8 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yeah, I think this is totally reasonable. But it needs governments with some fucking backbone and gumption to implement and not listen to the whining from the public.

This is all under the assumption they haven't already implemented it, and are just slowly easing in the changes. 

It's looking like there will be more restrictions on travel in summer 2021 than summer 2020.

I do wonder if it's a drip feed situation. It's fair to say I wouldn't be booking any travel for 2022

Things like Boris flying to Cornwall, the leaders flying in for G7 without quarantine - all of it sets the scene that the elite are allowed these things and the rest of us are not. Just to offset any expectations that they'll have to follow it too 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

I genuienly think it's concerning and we are not out of the woods by a long shot personally. September/October will be telling/.

The reason I'm so in favour of people having some freedom over summer is it's never been in any doubt to me that this winter will be restricted, just as there was no doubt what would happen last winter

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I'm not sure about everywhere, but maybe parts of Europe will have the same levels of vaccination in the autumn that we have now...so will likely be facing a similar dilemma..

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

He can fuck right off. Between this and the Boris comments about private tuition being down to "parents hard work" the mask is properly slipping

I think it says a lot about Hancock that he thinks like that and of ways to game the system

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

The reason I'm so in favour of people having some freedom over summer is it's never been in any doubt to me that this winter will be restricted, just as there was no doubt what would happen last winter

Once we are out of restrictions and people are vaxxed, they won't agree to going back in. Hence the fake SAGE and other lockdown fanatics desperate for an excuse to draw out this stage.