When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Is it just me that seems to think this is the biggest news we've had in weeks?  Am I over-reacting @Toilet Duck?

All this talk of being back at square one can get in the sea, where it belongs.

Howdy, yes, it’s great news and mirrors pretty much what we’ve seen reported recently with both Pfizer and Moderna. Basically, while we see a big enough drop in antibody titres against the Brazil and SA variants, the magnitude of the response in the first place is huge, so even those reduced titres have a strong level of protection. There have been suggestions that we could stretch out doses by halving them (remember, while HD:SD efficacy in the Oxford trial was shown to be mainly due to the gap, HD:SD was just as good as two full doses, so hypothetically we could be using less to get the same impact, but vaccinating even more people). The fact that the doses we are using (even if we are over dosing) appear to elicit an immune response that can potentially protect from every variant though supports sticking with what we have (unless we find that lower doses can do this too). Also starting to see the immunological response observed reflected in clinical outcomes too, so all bodes well. Think updated vaccines will still be useful for those most at risk (and that’s pretty much the plan for their use later in the year).  But honestly, the vaccines have exceeded expectations across the board. I remember many months ago my mate in Chicago saying he’d heard rumours the mRNA vaccines would be around 90% effective, but we didn’t really believe it...turns out it was true! 

In other good news (at least for me), father in law got a surprise call this evening for his first dose of Pfizer (all done!) and my Mam and Dad are booked in for theirs tomorrow morning! Finally seeing a personal end to all this! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Just a small point, while JCVI independently came to this conclusion, the Oxford team had already figured this out and spelled it out for them in black and white in the approval submission (anyone would have reached the same conclusion when they looked at the supporting data...EMA did too). If you went by what was in the Lancet paper, you would have gone with HD:SD for younger folk and SD:SD for older...but they had 100 odd events when they unblinded and wrote the paper...by the time the approval application went in, they had 500 events! (And a much clearer picture of how to use the vaccine). Not having a pop at JCVI, they’ve done excellently, but the credit for interpreting the data properly really goes to the team at the Jenner (who really have played a blinder!)...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

Read 9 pages of this thread after work tonight, think I could have comfortably skipped 90% of it. Just sniping childish messages for 9 pages! Wish we could get back to a few weeks ago where this thread was useful.

I’ve never used the ignore feature before, and probably won’t again, but for this thread it’s helped me restore it to being useful again and avoid all the BS!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy, yes, it’s great news and mirrors pretty much what we’ve seen reported recently with both Pfizer and Moderna. Basically, while we see a big enough drop in antibody titres against the Brazil and SA variants, the magnitude of the response in the first place is huge, so even those reduced titres have a strong level of protection. There have been suggestions that we could stretch out doses by halving them (remember, while HD:SD efficacy in the Oxford trial was shown to be mainly due to the gap, HD:SD was just as good as two full doses, so hypothetically we could be using less to get the same impact, but vaccinating even more people). The fact that the doses we are using (even if we are over dosing) appear to elicit an immune response that can potentially protect from every variant though supports sticking with what we have (unless we find that lower doses can do this too). Also starting to see the immunological response observed reflected in clinical outcomes too, so all bodes well. Think updated vaccines will still be useful for those most at risk (and that’s pretty much the plan for their use later in the year).  But honestly, the vaccines have exceeded expectations across the board. I remember many months ago my mate in Chicago saying he’d heard rumours the mRNA vaccines would be around 90% effective, but we didn’t really believe it...turns out it was true! 

In other good news (at least for me), father in law got a surprise call this evening for his first dose of Pfizer (all done!) and my Mam and Dad are booked in for theirs tomorrow morning! Finally seeing a personal end to all this! 

Fantastic news all round! Happy for you 🙂

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Fantastic news all round! Happy for you 🙂

Thanks! It really is taking a weight off my mind! I also now know more people who have been vaccinated than caught the virus...that’s definitely starting to make it all seem real! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

Great news!

So we will hit page 3000 tomorrow..

Please play nicely folks, the mental health issue mentioned is far more important than any petty squabbles or reputation arrows or other shit people are arguing about.

Look after each other 😘

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Great news.

Claire Fox is an interesting character. IRA supporter, leading light in the Revolutionary Communist Party, Brexit MEP and now cross-bench member of the House of Lords (elevated by Boris no less). Obviously intelligent and analytical as evidenced on tonight's News night. 

Complex person with complex views who weighs up all of what she sees and draws her own conclusions. Able to project and debate these views with clarity while respecting the views of others. 

Just like we find on this thread.... 

3 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

I’ve never used the ignore feature before, and probably won’t again, but for this thread it’s helped me restore it to being useful again and avoid all the BS!

I find that there is very little bleed outside this thread to the rest of the forum so the ignore tool is helpful. 

I might have used it too liberally though as the thread seems quite cheery to me. 🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I find that there is very little bleed outside this thread to the rest of the forum so the ignore tool is helpful. 

I might have used it too liberally though as the thread seems quite cheery to me. 🤣🤣

If you carefully choose who/what to ignore, this thread can be very informative. It's certainly been my sole source of COVID information over the past six months or so

20 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

If you carefully choose who/what to ignore, this thread can be very informative. It's certainly been my sole source of COVID information over the past six months or so

Indeed, there’s still a good lot of information being provided and decent chat plus there’s also Stevie too 😛 sorry Stevie 😂

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1