When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

If you fancy a holiday but Europe is off the cards you can just think Phuket and go here instead.

They announced 45+ are eligible for vaccinations in Singapore this week so I’m not too far away.

To be honest, I’ve been looking at the Uk roadmap with a little jealousy which might sound strange considering I’m off to the pub for dinner tonight. It might be too slow for some, but at least it’s a plan with a time frame that you can manage your expectations on.  

For all the good Singapore and the other Zero-Covid nations have done so far, the “what’s next” is a giant big hole that has been missing in the exit plan. The concern here is obviously being so risk adverse that the level of restrictions doesn’t keep pace with the actual risk (we’ve just had our first community case in 13 days announced as I write this…Jinx)  That’s still a big concern, but seeing the neighbors start to be a bit more vocal will help put a bit of pressure on them to publish their plans.

For me, this is one of the first announcements that has got me excited as it gives a bit of hope for the future.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

If you fancy a holiday but Europe is off the cards you can just think Phuket and go here instead.

Covid is the least of your worries about catching something nasty there.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

what about US?  They should be in pretty good shape by the summer also...?

Aye that was my thought. I can change the flights for my Japan trip to anything else with BA and my plan B was California, so I’m now wondering if that might be more realistic for late summer/autumn. It would be really bizarre if we could travel easily to the US and Thailand but not Europe..!

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Aye that was my thought. I can change the flights for my Japan trip to anything else with BA and my plan B was California, so I’m now wondering if that might be more realistic for late summer/autumn. It would be really bizarre if we could travel easily to the US and Thailand but not Europe..!

Japan might be ok by late summer/autumn too, apparently they are going to start mass vaccinations in April. My missus is Japanese and wants to get over there sometime, probably in the autumn.  Cases/deaths from covid have never really got that high in Japan, nothing like we've seen in Europe.

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If anything it could be the opposite. If firms don’t give their staff the flexibility to continue working remotely then they might leave. 

We were already seeing this pre Covid, with people turning down contracts unless they could WFH 2 days a week, and all of the polling on things like LinkedIn are calling for flexibility.   Rishi coming out with that just makes him look out of touch and stupid....

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

when does he mean? April 12th? May 17th? or June 21st?

When does the "work from home if you can" order stop? I havent seen it outlined properly. I told my boss it was the 21/6 (he doesn't keep an eye on the news - so at least i can have as long as possible WFH until they try to bring us back!)

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If anything it could be the opposite. If firms don’t give their staff the flexibility to continue working remotely then they might leave. 

Flexibility is key here. For every person that loves working from home, there’s someone that hates it or can’t make it work. We are shrinking our office in size and giving people the choice, along with introducing hot desking and keeping meeting space. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Flexibility is key here. For every person that loves working from home, there’s someone that hates it or can’t make it work. We are shrinking our office in size and giving people the choice, along with introducing hot desking and keeping meeting space. 

That’s exactly it, give people the option. Nationwide have done that this week, their plans seems ideal to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

We are doing a consultation at my place currently. I suspect we will have a hybrid system

If they force people back into offices it’ll lead to unhappiness but if they take away the option of a work place then that will lead to unhappiness too. I just hope businesses will learn from this past year and listen to their workforce more. 

7 minutes ago, phimill said:

When does the "work from home if you can" order stop? I havent seen it outlined properly. I told my boss it was the 21/6 (he doesn't keep an eye on the news - so at least i can have as long as possible WFH until they try to bring us back!)

My manager reckons we'll be told to go back April 12th...but he doesn't know for sure.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If they force people back into offices it’ll lead to unhappiness but if they take away the option of a work place then that will lead to unhappiness too. I just hope businesses will learn from this past year and listen to their workforce more. 

wut?

Someone in this thread asked about Oktoberfest in Munich some time ago, seems unlikely to happen now. Munich Mayor Dieter Reiter (SPD): "One can be very skeptical." The decision should be made by May at the latest, said Reiter. "But I wouldn't place any bets on an Oktoberfest in 2021." The Oktoberfest was canceled last year due to the corona pandemic.