When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Think that CureVac belong in a totally different discussion - at least part of the reason they've not produced anything so far is because they're now looking at variants. It's very likely that if there's a need to re-vaccinate the UK later this year / some time next year with a 3rd "booster" dose adapted for variants then it'll be produced by CureVac.

Just now, incident said:

Think that CureVac belong in a totally different discussion - at least part of the reason they've not produced anything so far is because they're now looking at variants. It's very likely that if there's a need to re-vaccinate the UK later this year / some time next year with a 3rd "booster" dose adapted for variants then it'll be produced by CureVac.

Why CureVac in particular? AZ and Pfizer (and probably everyone else) are looking into the variants.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Why CureVac in particular? AZ and Pfizer (and probably everyone else) are looking into the variants.

Mainly because we've signed a contract with them for that exact purpose with scale manufacturing available at the VMIC.

Not to suggest other companies aren't going to produce anything, it's just that in a UK context the prep work is being done with CureVac now.

Just now, jannybruck said:

So.. what's the point of even having one if the vast majority of people have been vaccinated? Am I missing something?

the only use I see for them is the talk of them coming into existence encouraging people to get jabbed because they think they will happen .... like others I cant see them being used domestically but maybe internationally where systems and check ins are already in play 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

the only use I see for them is the talk of them coming into existence encouraging people to get jabbed because they think they will happen .... like others I cant see them being used domestically but maybe internationally where systems and check ins are already in play 

So the idea of it is potentially being dangled in front of people to push people over the line who might not jump at the chance normally, and don't want the hassle of being theoretically 'denied' into places? I suppose that makes sense.

Personally none of the people I know that work in restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc could ever be arsed dealing with this sort of thing for every customer who enters. They have enough crap to deal with.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

So the idea of it is potentially being dangled in front of people to push people over the line who might not jump at the chance normally, and don't want the hassle of being theoretically 'denied' into places? I suppose that makes sense.

Personally none of the people I know that work in restaurants, pubs, coffee shops etc could ever be arsed dealing with this sort of thing for every customer who enters. They have enough crap to deal with.

totally agree ... I cant see it because it just makes these places an absolute nightmare to operate ... and make money !!! staffing levels are very likely at a tipping point anyway without checks having to be done too ....  

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The Idea behind the passport is to get travel going again, other things like pubs and shops are not really relevant now and not in the original intention, but of course with new variants or other waves also this could change then. they simply have to weigh the concerns with pros and cons.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

LFT’s can be done at home.

Every teacher, healthcare worker, school child etc in the UK is being sent a supply of LFT kits to take them at home twice a week and upload their result. The only thing stopping this being rolled out to the entire unvaccinated population is supply and that can be ramped up. You don’t need staff, test centres or labs. 

In my council area any business that has people in the office can access later flow tests regardless if sector. I assume it will be similar elsewhere. 

I think it's far more likely people will end up being tested through work 2-3x a week and use that test as evidence should it be needed for social use. 

Wouldn't cover everyone but with schools it does most people. All the retired folk would have had the vaccine by now.

41 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Boris now saying no vaccine passports until everyone has been offered one, which is good news 

One of the CRG lot made a good point (incredible, I know!) yesterday - where does this leave pregnant women? You can’t just exclude them from society, surely?

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

Dunno about you - but I don't think I'll know what my opinion on passports for pubs is until Tim Martin has been prattled on about it on the news for no apparent reason.

It's inevitable they'll do a "no passport required, everyone welcome" PR blitz, and I suspect they'll do very well out of it too.

11 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

One of the CRG lot made a good point (incredible, I know!) yesterday - where does this leave pregnant women? You can’t just exclude them from society, surely?

The government probably don’t even know what they are going to do yet, they’ll decide last minute then U-turn 5 days later.

Just now, jimmillen said:

Idly curious: is this now the longest ever eFests thread? 🤔

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, forgive my not reading every page so far. Seems a shame it’s been for such a crappy reason really...

I think it is. This thread will be preserved in museums for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Idly curious: is this now the longest ever eFests thread? 🤔

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, forgive my not reading every page so far. Seems a shame it’s been for such a crappy reason really...

There is a good news thread apparently...can't ever think of anything to post in there though.