When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Lol what? He distinguishes between mask wearing and social distancing.

I dont think its good leadership to say gloomy stuff like that without a proper explanation as to why

Social distancing incorporates measures such as mask wearing and besides Chris Whitty has also said that some of social distancing might be required this coming winter too. Drakeford is letting his country know that it might be required, it’s not gloom, it’s leadership. It’s what Johnson should’ve been doing last Autumn with the Christmas message.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Social distancing incorporates measures such as mask wearing and besides Chris Whitty has also said that some of social distancing might be required this coming winter too. Drakeford is letting his country know that it might be required, it’s not gloom, it’s leadership. It’s what Johnson should’ve been doing last Autumn with the Christmas message.

yeah...but it doesn't win you elections.

1 hour ago, jimmillen said:

Idly curious: is this now the longest ever eFests thread? 🤔

Sorry if it’s already been discussed, forgive my not reading every page so far. Seems a shame it’s been for such a crappy reason really...

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think it is. This thread will be preserved in museums for years to come. 

It only recently surpassed the General News thread, I think it managed to pass the milestone without comment as people as it's been the longest thread in the Glastonbury section for ages.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Is it cause of stuff like that he is becoming more unpopular?

The vaccine rollout in Wales seems to be going well.

It’s a bit like what Barry Fish said, politicians who can’t sell a bright future, ain’t going to be around for long. But also, for a lot of people I talk to he has got a way of coming across as unpleasant in his briefings, and the more I see of him I’ve got to agree. He seems to be enjoying his 15 minutes of fame and revelling going against U.K. Government at the expense of what might be right for the whole country  

1 minute ago, TheSheriff said:

It’s a bit like what Barry Fish said, politicians who can’t sell a bright future, ain’t going to be around for long. But also, for a lot of people I talk to he has got a way of coming across as unpleasant in his briefings, and the more I see of him I’ve got to agree. He seems to be enjoying his 15 minutes of fame and revelling going against U.K. Government at the expense of what might be right for the whole country  

Yep, and a massive thing for leaders (in the modern era particularly) is personality - which we’ve seen has gotten Johnson elected with a Tory majority. Drakeford on the other hand, seems as dour as they come. It’s almost as if he’s enjoying telling people that the outlook isn’t as bright as some may think. 

4 minutes ago, TheSheriff said:

He probably isn’t enjoying these months of governing through a pandemic to be fair. Equally it doesn’t impact me so I’m not important in this discussion but I don’t get that from him when I’ve seen him on TV but I’m not one of his electorate so that could be different if I was.

Everyone I know who voted for welsh labour last time won't be doing so this time. Drakeford's illogical treatment of gyms and the alcohol ban is too much to take for a younger generation who feels hard done by during this pandemic

Anyone I know over the age of 35 hasn't been too bothered by drakeford, but votes plaid anyway

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

so PC will be king makers ?

Plaid have already come out and said they won’t form a coalition with the Tories, if it comes to it. I was a Welsh Labour member for nearly 15 years, but over the last year I have left the party mainly due to the fact it no longer represents me and partly with how Drakeford and Gething have managed the pandemic. Plaid get my vote in May

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Baaaamy some of those lower numbers ... hopefully it will be a herd mentality once more people get them in these countries and they can see the wool has been pulled over their eyes slightly 

pretty rubbish at flags, I see France are 3rd bottom...not sure who the others are down there...

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Well publicans aren't going to care that non-drinking pregnant women can't come in!

What do you think he means by social distancing? Social distancing is a spectrum, not a binary thing. All it means in this case is limiting close contacts that provide zero value and just being conscious of your space and imposing on others (which, like handwashing, we should all have been doing anyway - I appreciate it'll be difficult for the handsy pub brigade to stop touching random women though).

I consider “social distancing” to mean the 1m+/2m rule.

Drakeford can fuck right off if he’s telling people not to hug their loved ones for the rest of the year. 

54 minutes ago, st dan said:

At what point would social distancing end though? Once everybody who wants a vaccine has had one later in the year, then when not try to move back to complete normality as soon as possible? Seems pointless to drag it out just for the sake of it. 
Why would social distancing end in 2022, what would make it any safer then? 

NHS backlog cleared by then. 

42 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...but it doesn't win you elections.

If the bit of social distancing we're keeping is "respecting personal space and not touching strangers" I'm pretty sure at least 51% of the population will vote for that.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

I consider “social distancing” to mean the 1m+/2m rule.

Drakeford can fuck right off if he’s telling people not to hug their loved ones for the rest of the year. 

He's not, but he's maybe suggesting that that 1m rule might still be in place for people you don't know. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Exactly. Social distancing can mean all sorts from mask wearing to 2 meters distance and everything in between. He could well be right but preparing his people for the potential of it in the future is good leadership.

I certainly don’t know why someone that lives in London is getting angry by what the First Minister in Wales is saying though. 

Because I care about Welsh people.

Johnson’s social distancing rules and Drakeford’s have the same net impact on me anyway. Drakeford’s rules don’t apply to me and I just ignore Boris’s rules.