When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

20,847 first doses given out in NI yesterday which is fantastic. 1.11% of the population.

This is the best % figure for a single day so far in the UK (previously Wales had the record of 0.9% in one day).

We've had an online booking system up for 65-70 year olds and those 70+ are currently being contacted by GPs.

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe one for @Toilet Duck, but following on from the Macron comments, has there ever been a vaccine that's been 70%+ effective in younger people then just barely works at all for those 65+ ? I can imagine certain vaccines having a drop off as age increase, or being unsafe for an older demographic, but just suddenly not working seems crazy - is there some precedent for that I'm missing?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head!

Got a letter though saying I have been selected for a random test, which is nice. Not had any symptoms throughout and am sure I haven't had it; but living in London and having been out and about a fair bit (when allowed) will be nice to check.

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

Got a letter though saying I have been selected for a random test, which is nice. Not had any symptoms throughout and am sure I haven't had it; but living in London and having been out and about a fair bit (when allowed) will be nice to check.

one of these new chinese anal tests?

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think it's fair to say the relations between UK and EU are not good.

The weird thing is we haven’t said or done anything though. This row is between AZ and Europe, do the EU seriously expect us to actively offer them more vaccines? Who in their right mind would wade into the middle of a contract dispute between two other people? It’s not our place to comment on the EUs contract with AZ and it would be irresponsible to do so.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The weird thing is we haven’t said or done anything though. This row is between AZ and Europe, do the EU seriously expect us to actively offer them more vaccines? Who in their right mind would wade into the middle of contract dispute? It’s not our place to comment on the EUs contract with AZ and it would be irresponsible to do so.

They're just fucked off...and probably don't like various politicians saying it was a benefit of brexit back in December.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They're just fucked off...and probably don't like various politicians saying it was a benefit of brexit back in December.

Yeah I do agree with that, us saying it’s a benefit of Brexit is bound to grate on them. But their dispute about a contract they have with a supplier we also have a contract with is absolutely nothing to do with us.

I feel I need to ask another naive question so apologies...

How do I reconcile/explain the following apparent, on the face of it, inconsistency in the data sets?

1. Case rates have been coming down sharply the last couple of weeks (people who have had a test and tested positive)

2. ONS data on people with Covid being flat or falling only slightly (people who are randomly chosen from the entire population to do a test)

Why is one falling quickly but the other measure is only falling very slightly? Is it because we as a population are becoming more resistant to the virus so we get it but suffer less symptoms than we used to, so don't seek a test? Or are people being more 'lightly touched' by the virus now as they aren't generally being significantly exposed to high viral loads since lockdown so aren't suffering symptoms as much as pre lock down? 

Struggling to reconcile the two sets of data....

Edited by dingbat2