When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

Just when I was thinking things couldn't get any worse I  slipped over in the dog's piss in the kitchen

Do you think my dog's piss is funny? Well, it's not funny! My dog's not laughing! She's pissing herself!

When I watch The Thick of It these days, it just seems like a real-life documentary...

34 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ah apologies if I misunderstood. Agree there's no reason for them to be strained over this, unless perhaps the EU feels the UK is being disingenuous about not disclosing the terms of its AZ contract (claiming for 'security reasons).

The UK contract with AZN is none of the EU's business.

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The EU hasn’t actually done anything yet to our vaccine supply they’ve just put in measures to monitor exports and activated a mechanism that is in a legally signed treaty. The UK can’t exactly take the high road when 6 months ago they were happy to break international law over NI anyway. 

Umm... alternatively the EU unilaterally without notice put a hard border between NI and Ireland for vaccine nationalism

Like not everything has to roll back to Bojo being a chump. We aren't the bad guys in this situation.

13 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Agreed. It’s interesting to see the anti-EU rhetoric on here less than a month out of the transition period

I'm one of the biggest remainers on here but its massively clear that the EU are being massive twats and are trying to take our vaccine supply.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Umm... alternatively the EU unilaterally without notice put a hard border between NI and Ireland for vaccine nationalism

Like not everything has to roll back to Bojo being a chump. We aren't the bad guys in this situation.

I never says we were the bad guys, only that the UK can’t take the high road.

My point pretty consistently is that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, we’ll get our vaccines, the EU will sort this out with AZ and the angry people online will calm down. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I never says we were the bad guys, only that the UK can’t take the high road.

My point pretty consistently is that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion, we’ll get our vaccines, the EU will sort this out with AZ and the angry people online will calm down. 

Its not really an online thing now with article 16. Thats a direct diplomatic incident between the UK and EU

Edited by zahidf

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Just when I was thinking things couldn't get any worse I  slipped over in the dog's piss in the kitchen

I've just been shat on by my 2 year old if that makes you feel any better.... had the cheek to smile at me while she was doing it and I realised too late.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My cock up, sorry, I'd missed that post.

Although I didn’t say it like he’s implying.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Its not really an online thing now with article 16. Thats a direct diplomatic incident between the UK and EU

It never was an online thing but that still hasn’t stopped people getting very angry about it. It’s a big mess which as I say will pass, the UK will still get the full amount of vaccines and the EU will sort the disagreement out with AZ. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The UK contract with AZN is none of the EU's business.

Agreed...

As is it no longer any of the EU’s business to say what kind of export restrictions the UK might put in place and also the right of the UK to say that vaccines produced in the UK have to prioritise the UK market first.

Giving out when the EU say, ok, that’s fine, but then, vaccines made in the EU should prioritise the EU first and calling them bullies for doing so seems odd since they are just doing exactly what the UK is already doing (the US are also included in the list of places EU-made vaccines can’t be exported to without declaration, so nobody is picking on the UK). Plus at the moment, all it is is a requirement to declare where stuff is being sent.

Tensions are running a bit high, things need to cool down a bit (AZ have had 6% of their share price wiped off this week, over something that they don’t even make a profit on). I honestly don’t think the EU are actually going to restrict vaccine deliveries, it just gives them the information they need for negotiating with the suppliers. Here the article 16 thing is being reported as a red herring as medicines are exempt from the NI protocol for 12 months, so any restrictions could only kick in in January 2022, by which point at the rate they are going, NI will be well done with their vaccination programme (that’s the interpretation of the Irish government, they might be wrong, but I suspect they know more about the NI protocol than anyone as it was included at our behest). Nobody here has any desire to see checks on stuff moving north and south. 

5 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Here the article 16 thing is being reported as a red herring as medicines are exempt from the NI protocol for 12 months, so any restrictions could only kick in in January 2022 

I doubt this but will get reported on very much. 

Plus as you say the requirements they’ve put in place today are to declare where vaccines are being sent. 

13 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Agreed...

As is it no longer any of the EU’s business to say what kind of export restrictions the UK might put in place and also the right of the UK to say that vaccines produced in the UK have to prioritise the UK market first.

Giving out when the EU say, ok, that’s fine, but then, vaccines made in the EU should prioritise the EU first and calling them bullies for doing so seems odd since they are just doing exactly what the UK is already doing (the US are also included in the list of places EU-made vaccines can’t be exported to without declaration, so nobody is picking on the UK). Plus at the moment, all it is is a requirement to declare where stuff is being sent.

Tensions are running a bit high, things need to cool down a bit (AZ have had 6% of their share price wiped off this week, over something that they don’t even make a profit on). I honestly don’t think the EU are actually going to restrict vaccine deliveries, it just gives them the information they need for negotiating with the suppliers. Here the article 16 thing is being reported as a red herring as medicines are exempt from the NI protocol for 12 months, so any restrictions could only kick in in January 2022, by which point at the rate they are going, NI will be well done with their vaccination programme (that’s the interpretation of the Irish government, they might be wrong, but I suspect they know more about the NI protocol than anyone as it was included at our behest). Nobody here has any desire to see checks on stuff moving north and south. 

Ah ok fair enough. I'm fine with things cooling down a bit, but some of the stuff certain eu commisioners and MEPS are saying are very much are inflaming the situation overall. The UK politicians aren't getting involved at all, so I guess they are the ones trying to cool things down!

Its clear the EU have screwed up the vaccine procurement in the short term at least and are trying to us the UK as a scapegoat!

Isn't it the case where they need permission before they can get sent out though under that procedure?

Edit: reading about the article, the BBC says it was only supposed to be used in an emergency situation.  Wouldn't that be a massive move to use as just a bluff?

Edited by zahidf

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ah ok fair enough. I'm fine with things cooling down a bit, but some of the stuff certain eu commisioners and MEPS are saying are very much are inflaming the situation overall. The UK politicians aren't getting involved at all, so I guess they are the ones trying to cool things down!

Its clear the EU have screwed up the vaccine procurement in the short term at least and are trying to us the UK as a scapegoat!

Isn't it the case where they need permission before they can get sent out though under that procedure?

To be fair, MEPs are eejits (sure Farage was one!). There’s plenty of muppets in commissioner roles too! Most of the actual politicians in Europe are staying well out of it (Macron aside)...

edit: the government here have just matter of factly said that we’ll have 300,000 fewer doses than we expected by the end of March and haven’t really commented any further, only to say that deliveries in q2 are expected to be a lot higher. 

Edited by Toilet Duck

13 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Agreed...
Giving out when the EU say, ok, that’s fine, but then, vaccines made in the EU should prioritise the EU first and calling them bullies for doing so seems odd since they are just doing exactly what the UK is already doing

Here the article 16 thing is being reported as a red herring as medicines are exempt from the NI protocol for 12 months, so any restrictions could only kick in in January 2022, by which point at the rate they are going, NI will be well done with their vaccination programme (that’s the interpretation of the Irish government, they might be wrong, but I suspect they know more about the NI protocol than anyone as it was included at our behest).

Do vaccines made in the UK have to be declared before export atm?

And strange that EU have instigated Article 16 if it's not usable in this case. 

4 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Do vaccines made in the UK have to be declared before export atm?

And strange that EU have instigated Article 16 if it's not usable in this case. 

Honestly, I’ve no idea! I don’t really know the ins and outs of it, we tuned Brexit out over this side of the Irish Sea ages ago! I think the commission have handled all this poorly and there were probably more rational ways to sort all this out.

This Brexit business is complicated isn't it. You can't look at one thing in isolation.

Let's say it's true and we can be more nimble at negotiating something like this.

What about next time when we are squeezed out, because we are a small economy in the global order and our neighbours represent a huge, powerful trade block? 

So facile to say 29 days into unwinding a 50 year position, that this incident proves Brexit to be a force for good and that remain is dead.

Edited by xxialac