When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This Brexit business is complicated isn't it. You can't look at one thing in isolation.

Let's say it's true and we can be more nimble at negotiating something like this.

What about next time when we are squeezed out, because we are small and a small economy and are neighbours represent a huge, powerful trade block? 

So facile to say 29 days into unwinding a 50 year position, that this incident proves Brexit to be a force for good and that remain is dead.

I don’t think anyone on here has said that?

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoeyT said:

I don’t think anyone on here has said that?

I remember reading on here today that remain was dead.

And not on here, it's true, but on twitter there are endless comments about remainers switching camps and that this incident proves that Brexit was the right decision.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

And not on here, it's true, but on twitter there are endless comments about remainers switching camps and that this incident proves that Brexit was the right decision.

Someone said the rejoin campaign is dead on the last page I think. 

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

This Brexit business is complicated isn't it. You can't look at one thing in isolation.

Let's say it's true and we can be more nimble at negotiating something like this.

What about next time when we are squeezed out, because we are small and a small economy and are neighbours represent a huge, powerful trade block? 

So facile to say 29 days into unwinding a 50 year position, that this incident proves Brexit to be a force for good and that remain is dead.

I’m anti brexit, but I can also say when I think EU politicians are behaving like a bunch of arses. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

I’m anti brexit, but I can also say when I think EU politicians are behaving like a bunch of arses. 

That's in no way connected to the point I was making.

I was just pointing out that inferring that this one incident validates Brexit as the right decision is ridiculous. What if we're all economically poorer in a couple of years, does this business trump everything?

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I think most remainers were also frustrated with the turgid and often unnecessary bureaucracy and politics within Brussels but hoped the threat of Brexit might help streamline things and focus minds in Europe, whilst  believing the benefits of European Union  still outweighed all the crap which went with trying to please all 27 members at the same time, all with their own political self interests. January has been a real wake up call for those left in the EU, and I suspect other nations are starting to get twitchy feet as well at the moment, unless they sort themselves out soon

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's in no way connected to the point I was making.

I was just pointing out that inferring that this one incident validates Brexit as the right decision is ridiculous. What if we're all economically poorer in a couple of years, does this business trump everything?

We will be economically poorer in a few years, think someone likened brexit to essentially being like having a slow puncture, future wise for Britain - longer term we’re alienated from Europe, US and picking fights with China and Russia cutting international aid to poorer countries - we’ll be stuffed (better hope we curry some favour with whatever excess vaccines we have left).

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

We will be economically poorer in a few years, think someone likened brexit to essentially being like having a slow puncture, future wise for Britain - longer term we’re alienated from Europe, US and picking fights with China and Russia cutting international aid to poorer countries - we’ll be stuffed (better hope we curry some favour with whatever excess vaccines we have left).

Yeah, of course scope to be wrong but it's hard not to see us become poorer for the reasons you cite and then surely there'll be 'buyer's remorse'. Even ideological fanatics don't want to see other countries' economies over take us and have less money in their pocket.

We actually could have probably coped ok having split 20 years ago but now we are just going to get bullied or sidelined by bigger, more powerful entities

18 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I suspect other nations are starting to get twitchy feet as well at the moment, unless they sort themselves out soon

I doubt it, this will only extend things by a couple of months for the EU. European support is a high in the EU, this is damaging but not as fatal as people are making out, remember when Greece was going to crash the Euro?

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the EU ended up looking like it was going to get the AZ vaccines after all, the UK, "as a friend and ally", would be doing stuff to disrupt the fulfilment of these contracts.

It's a zero sum game and either party is going to insist on the supplies they contracted.