When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

In an interview with the Today programme this morning Kate Bingham, head of the government’s vaccine taskforce, said she thought it should be safe for people to take summer holidays abroad next year. She said that although the virus would never completely disappear, vaccines meant that by the summer of 2021 “we should be in a much better place to get on planes”.

She told the programme:

My gut feel is that we will all be going on summer holidays.

It is likely that those people most at risk will be vaccinated through to April, and then the JCVI [Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation] and the Department for Health will then consider how to broaden out the vaccinations to other adults.

I think by the summer we should be in a much better place to get on planes.

I don’t think we’re going to get away from this virus ever - so we’re going to have to maintain sensible hygiene and washing hands, and so on.

I would like this vaccine to be as routine as an annual flu jab and that we manage it rather than get bowed down by it.

3 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Or maybe we’ll just be advised to wear masks on public transport etc as a matter of course like in East Asia when they don’t have an epidemic on, it’s more precautionary.

Thats what i am thinking. Face masks on publci transport and when moving around inside. 

7 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yes very succinctly put.  My 'normal' will be meeting friends for lunch without needing to consider how many of us and whether we can sit indoors for it around a table, and being able to book a holiday and sit by a pool without needing to consider the risk and whether we'll need to quarantine when we get home etc.

Yeah eating out is a huge one for me! Being able to have a babysitter again... oh my days. Can't wait.

9 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Or maybe we’ll just be advised to wear masks on public transport etc as a matter of course like in East Asia when they don’t have an epidemic on, it’s more precautionary.

That could happen for a bit naturally as people maybe need the mask as a bit of confidence. I probably would for a bit. 

Just watching the lunchtime news and Im doing A Matt Hancock .... What a bloody amazing day this is for those of us fortunate to be around to see it , 61,000 sadly in this country have not so its worth just taking a moment out to think of them and their loved ones  .... and what we must all think what we can do to prevent that number rising in the upcoming weeks before people get those jabs ...... just look at whats happening in the US right now from thanks giving .... we are starting to see the end of this shit .... thanks to some incredible scientists and all those that took part / and are taking part in the trials ... its time to be positive but cautious ... Cant wait to have my Jab :) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

If the vaccine doesn't stop transmission then limiting people's ability to travel or attendance of events because they haven't had the vaccine is pointless and those who want to protect themselves should take it and those who are happy to role the dice due to age etc.. etc.. should still be allowed to go about their business. 

Except like I said, the problem there is that the number of people willing to roll the dice on a "COVID secure" event will be higher than the number of people willing to roll the dice on a "no restrictions" event. The difference between those two numbers will either:

1) Inform government policy, as they implement more protectionism designed to create a level playing field and keep as many businesses operational as possible or;

2) Become driving market factors for individual businesses, once the government washes its hands of everything and says "no rules anymore, and no funding"

People seem convinced that the second route is exactly what this Tory government will do, but Eat Out To Help Out demonstrates a desire to make sizeable economic interventions in order to encourage people to start going out again, so I don't think it's impossible they'll consider similar interventions to make people (and make people feel) safer when out.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just watching the lunchtime news and Im doing A Matt Hancock .... What a bloody amazing day this is for those of us fortunate to be around to see it , 61,000 sadly in this country have not so its worth just taking a moment out to think of them and their loved ones  .... and what we must all think what we can do to prevent that number rising in the upcoming weeks before people get those jabs ...... just look at whats happening in the US right now from thanks giving .... we are starting to see the end of this shit .... thanks to some incredible scientists and all those that took part / and are taking part in the trials ... its time to be positive but cautious ... Cant wait to have my Jab :) 

The first woman to get the jab was born in a year where we didn't have antibiotics and we didn't have the NHS. To think where we are now - where we can create a vaccine to eradicate a disease that we didn't even know existed a year ago - it's remarkable. 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I haven’t been paying attention to the US, what’s it been like after Thanksgiving?

The public will bin off masks on transport and in shops as soon as they see more and more people getting vaccinated. Within a few months this will be ditched by most people. Compliance is barely hanging on by a thread in some places already, and it's extremely difficult to police properly.

It's why it's vitally important to get as many people jabbed over winter as possible – once the weather gets better, people will have had more than enough of wearing one and just think "nah, fuck it".

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I haven’t been paying attention to the US, what’s it been like after Thanksgiving?

surging massively over 200,000 daily cases now  .. they are really worried about Christmas and new year period ..... California is a massive issue , Although I didnt see it on the lunchtime news if memory serves me correct they only have 15% of ICU beds remaining empty ..

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The public will bin off masks on transport and in shops as soon as they see more and more people getting vaccinated. Within a few months this will be ditched by most people. Compliance is barely hanging on by a thread in some places already, and it's extremely difficult to police properly.

It's why it's vitally important to get as many people jabbed over winter as possible – once the weather gets better, people will have had more than enough of wearing one and just think "nah, fuck it".

it will all come down to how safe people feel...if numbers coming down as expected then people will feel safer and act accordingly. But...govt might still impose some restrictions on large gatherings at sports grounds, concerts....festivals.

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

surging massively over 200,000 daily cases now  .. they are really worried about Christmas and new year period ..... California is a massive issue , Although I didnt see it on the lunchtime news if memory serves me correct they only have 15% of ICU beds remaining empty ..

Shit. That’s sounds horrible. I guess this is what a national holiday can do with the virus. I hope we can somehow learn from this. 

10 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Might not be a bad shout to have us all exposed to it in the summer months - it didn't seem to be causing too many people to get badly ill over those months, or even really enough to be tested, but it was clearly still spreading in the background

Edited by efcfanwirral

Just now, Ozanne said:

Shit. That’s sounds horrible. I guess this is what a national holiday can do with the virus. I hope we can somehow learn from this. 

Aye absolutely ...the resolution is so close .... could be weeks for some of our relatives .... it really isn't worth any risks whatsoever .... 

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Keep 1m away from people that you don't know when on the street / in shops
Wear masks on public transport
Tables set up in pubs and restaurants so there's 1m spacing between different groups (not different households) and people have their backs to each other
Restaurants and pubs sanitize all tables between uses, hand sanitization stations remain
Gigs are seated with specific seats, not standing
Don't touch strangers (this one should never go away!)

Yeah, this message has nailed what I meant by 'lower level' social distancing.

Doesn't mean as many restrictions as now and all businesses open.