When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, steviewevie said:

I think that's the plan..

This seems like the most sensible thing to do by a long way.

I think people really underestimate what damage the JC years have done to the relationship with the Jewish community and if it were any other race/religion then the left of the party wouldn't act so flippantly with the complaints. As a labour member with some jewish heritage I find it immensely sad there seems to be this blind spot. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Ironically, a lot of people - not people on here but a lot of people - voted because they don't like foreign people. Given labour needs, what will happen is that white foreign people (who they don't like) will be replaced by brown skinned foreign people (who they like even less). 

and I will laugh every day at this. I have said this throughout to anyone that will listen. I voted to leave knowing and welcoming this! The people who voted to leave the EU to stop Indian immigrants - hilarious and bonkers! 

Hence what I’m trying to respond to here. I’m trying to defend and show how wrong the original post was and how it shows 4 years on nothing has changed, no one is prepared to listen or treat anyone as an individual.

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I remember hearing it at the time, and I can kind of see the logic, but to make sense, it would need immigration to get easier for everyone.  Then it would actually be pretty coherent.  But I don't think that will happen.

FWIW, I think many non europeans would have it much easier to migrate to the UK if they were part of the EU as so many of us could get Italian/Spanish/French/etc citizenship. 
This might only apply to Latin Americans though. Not so sure about other places.

20 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

This seems like the most sensible thing to do by a long way.

I think people really underestimate what damage the JC years have done to the relationship with the Jewish community and if it were any other race/religion then the left of the party wouldn't act so flippantly with the complaints. As a labour member with some jewish heritage I find it immensely sad there seems to be this blind spot. 

Yeah I agree, this like the most sensible option available. 

29 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

Every time the government is there for the taking, Labour manage to create their own crisis to let them off the hook

We wouldn't be in this mess if JC had waited before issuing a statement. Instead he rushed out his usual lines about "and all forms of racism" and stated in his statement the very thing that the report said was anti-Semitism. 

The man is not very bright politically.

39 minutes ago, foolee said:

People need to be educated and spoken to, not ridiculed. 

Nah. I'll carry on ridiculing. It's not going to change anyone's opinion, but neither did the alternative you suggest. And if nothing else I'll feel a bit better for doing so. 

21 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

....and I wish the media would stop referring to 'Biontech' as a single word......surely the capitalisation makes it 'Bio-N-Tech'?

After all the horrors detailed in this thread, I think we've found the worst. 

29 minutes ago, foolee said:

Do you think everyone that votes has a qualified decision as to why they vote? Many peoples reasons to vote comes from where they've grown up and how their families vote as that can shape how people think. 

I agree with you in principle, but whose parents had ever voted in a referendum as to whether or not to leave the EU before?

This isn't the same as a general election, as the governments term is 5 years and they can be voted out if the country thinks it wants a change. This EU decision is probably permanent (far more permanent than a parliamentary term) and is going to massively impact the future of a lot of people, some of whom weren't even able to vote in the referendum! That's why I said that I think referenda are dangerous. A vote that the vast majority of people went into blind (and for that I blame both the leave and remain campaigns) that will have far reaching consequences for us all. 

Maybe it's because I'm not much of a risk taker, but I think to vote leave on a decision that potentially has such far reaching consequences without having the sufficient knowledge to take an informed decision, is not something I would promote as an appropriate course of action. The stakes are just too high!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

So Johnson virtually is just as bad as physically, just rabbiting off the same lines against nearly all of Starmers questions. He’s a complete joke. 

He is less theatrical. Not having the supporting audience means he has to answer Starmer directly without looking around for support from his party.