When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Compared to last year its crap. We have had a week or two end of May and thats it. 

May was absolutely freezing, we had hail and storms for the first half of it.

Hopefully we get a bit of difference next year when festival season comes back full swing. 

2 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

May was absolutely freezing, we had hail and storms for the first half of it.

Hopefully we get a bit of difference next year when festival season comes back full swing. 

Well in the Northwest end of May first week of June we had a heatwave... 80f 

Bristol must just be always shit? haha 

Just now, Havors said:

Well in the Northwest end of May first week of June we had a heatwave... 80f 

Bristol must just be always shit? haha 

hahahaha

The weather over here feels more unpredictable than London, i've learnt that in my first few months. But still, I expected a bit more sun and a bit less fog....

5 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:
Is it just me or has this been one of the most dissapointing summers (weather wise) in recent memory?

Fair enough we don't want heat waves and extreme weather, but there's been like 2 days over 25.... And looking at the long range forecast it doesnt look much better.

The weather in this country is so ridiculously unpredictable but you're right, since the (cold) Spring it's been terrible and June felt like Autumn at times. This is one of the main reasons why international travel is so important to me and why I can't bring myself to holiday in the UK, to get guaranteed sunshine and warmth. Over here the forecast changes by the hour and you can't plan anything.

Last year, it started off great and continued all the way through. This year looks like it's going to do the same...but in reverse.

16 hours ago, sjseabass said:

I love this kind of shit. I actually read another of his books (New York 2140) which I enjoyed for all the futurology stuff but wasn’t particularly taken by the story itself, so haven’t looked at the rest of his work - same deal with this one, or should I pick it up?

(Apologies for going very off topic)

Not read New York 2140 but that sounds pretty similar - I guess the difference in this is that the futurology pretty much is the entire story - it covers the next 60 or so years of a fictional human history, so it's at that scale. Not much room for smaller more personal stories. There's a little bit of political thriller in it too as it looks at direct activism and eco "terrorism" - and if you consider that itself to be the "plot" then it's plot-light. But I enjoyed it because of the chapters that are basically lessons on economic theory rather than despite them!

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

so how about the cases being available on gov.uk like they currently are .... but not included every day in local news forecasts .... transparent enough so people can find them if they so wish ... 

Trouble is the government can't mandate that. That'll be down to the news channels. And they could always just report them with context, rather than stop.

I find the suggestion that the government should stop publishing the numbers really concerning - it sets an awful precedent given how badly the government have dealt with all this. We should not be asking for less transparency!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I find the suggestion that the government should stop publishing the numbers really concerning - it sets an awful precedent given how badly the government have dealt with all this. We should not be asking for less transparency!

Agreed, that feels like an almost Brazil/China style approach to reporting. 

We need more transparency from government not less. Playing 'lets pretend' just seems bizzare.

Edited by MrBarry465

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

so how about the cases being available on gov.uk like they currently are .... but not included every day in local news forecasts .... transparent enough so people can find them if they so wish ... 

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not read New York 2140 but that sounds pretty similar - I guess the difference in this is that the futurology pretty much is the entire story - it covers the next 60 or so years of a fictional human history, so it's at that scale. Not much room for smaller more personal stories. There's a little bit of political thriller in it too as it looks at direct activism and eco "terrorism" - and if you consider that itself to be the "plot" then it's plot-light. But I enjoyed it because of the chapters that are basically lessons on economic theory rather than despite them!

Trouble is the government can't mandate that. That'll be down to the news channels. And they could always just report them with context, rather than stop.

It's weird I agree with both of you there. Lack of transparency is bad but we'll simply never get back to normal when cases are reported every day alongside people calling for more restrictions every time they go up.

The current reporting isn't working - it very rarely makes the point that hospitalisations aren't going up at anywhere near the rate they were and plenty are being discharged. You have to dig through twitter for that on the most part. It's going to be a long road to convince people that this is even happening after a year of being terrified of every case.

And that's before the risk that this transparency leads to us adding flu to the dashboard. I think if people had daily numbers of deaths from that over winter they'd be horrified, and that can then be used to justify restrictions too. 

Just to add to yesterday's conversation about future restrictions:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/30/booster-covid-vaccines-over-50s-available-flu-jabs-september/

Prof Van Tam said the relaxation of restrictions is “heavily dependent” on the continued success of the jabs programme, suggesting that future freedoms could be jeopardised if the virus surges. 

53 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:
Is it just me or has this been one of the most dissapointing summers (weather wise) in recent memory?

Fair enough we don't want heat waves and extreme weather, but there's been like 2 days over 25.... And looking at the long range forecast it doesnt look much better.

been pretty good in Manchester.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Neither of you are wrong but the correct approach is to open it for EVERYONE, not just the fully vaccinated. 

Remember that vaccines and quarantine notwithstanding, you STILL need a negative covid test to even get on the plane home. That should be enough, IMO, to allow people from Amber countries to come in to the UK and not bother self-isolating, although I'd keep the red list for known hotspots and I'd still ask people to take a PCR on day 2 and 8 for sequencing reasons (and to self-isolate if it comes back positive) 

The UK is currently number 2 hotspot in the world in countries of populations over 100k

Over half the countries on the current red list test lots and are vaccinating key workers and tourism workers yet they stay on the red list whilst other more 'European' countries sit on the Amber list yet are far worse off.

Had second Pfizer yesterday 10am. Rough ish night (hot headache etc)

Didn't feel right this morning so took two lateral flows today both positive, rang 111 to see if it was the vaccine they said no.... been for PCR and notifying schools as we speak..

Gash

Might as well post this just in case anyone around here still hasn't been done.

If you're in Nottingham/shire and haven't had a first dose, or are 8 weeks on and haven't had a second, it's easy. Walk ins available everywhere, often:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E5H2KjHXoAM8kGJ?format=jpg&name=large