When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wonder what their plan is when there are still outbreaks despite only letting vaccinated people in...or if they let them use the useless tests 

It'll be daily LFTs.

They aren't useless. They are fine for daily tests, with a PCR if you're positive 

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Johnson never says anything that actually means anything - but what he does say makes pretty headlines.

Ultimately we’ll see several versions of what will happen after the 19th in the next few days, pretty much none of them will actually be what happens. 

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wonder what their plan is when there are still outbreaks despite only letting vaccinated people in...or if they let them use the useless tests 

You realise a negative LFT is a better indicator of someone being covid free than proof of vaccination? 

16 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

He also said this.

I find it very hard to believe that clubs will reopen from the 19th with anything other than zero restrictions. Clubbing with social distancing and masks? Nope. I wonder what the "extra precautions" are. Was that disclosed? I assume not.

So much contradictory information over the past few days and I can't see it getting any better over the coming weeks.

You have to understand how this government works. July 19 will be freedom day. At this point Johnson will declare the country open for business and tell people the pandemic is over.

That doesn't mean he's actually going to drop all the restrictions or even change much. 

It's what they did with Brexit - the "oven ready" deal, then "Liberation day" on 31 Jan 2020 after which Johnson declared Brexit done and refused to talk about it. Even though we still had the entire trade agreement to sort out by a transition date a year later. Nothing was actually accomplished, the issues that existed coming into his PM-ship with Brexit still remained, but he just declared it done on 31 Jan and minsters literally refused to discuss Brexit with the press etc. parroting the line that "we've got Brexit done, just like we said".

It'll be the same thing on July 19: you can't have events of more than 500 people, you should still wear masks indoors, and try and keep distance from people where you can, but it's over, COVID is done, we're free.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

The idea of going from such hysteria to no restrictions in a few weeks is laughable. People won't be able to process it 

That's not an over-reaction from the company, it's what a lot of companies would have done even if there were not restrictions, and will still do even when they are gone. Doesn't matter that it doesn't kill or hospitalise people, many companies, especially smaller ones, can't function if 30% of their workforce goes off sick at once. Same reason many large companies offered flu jabs to employees - it's because a flu outbreak in the office has potential to be hugely damaging to the company, even if the impact on people is just being bed-bound for a week.

While prevalence remains high and the number of people getting sick continues to be significant, companies will continue to push distancing in the office and working from home. It's just no longer for health reasons, it's economic ones. 

(And weirdly, the people that disagree with this have been the ones going "but what about the economy?" for the past six months.)

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You have to understand how this government works. July 19 will be freedom day. At this point Johnson will declare the country open for business and tell people the pandemic is over.

That doesn't mean he's actually going to drop all the restrictions or even change much. 

It's what they did with Brexit - the "oven ready" deal, then "Liberation day" on 31 Jan 2020 after which Johnson declared Brexit done and refused to talk about it. Even though we still had the entire trade agreement to sort out by a transition date a year later. Nothing was actually accomplished, the issues that existed coming into his PM-ship with Brexit still remained, but he just declared it done on 31 Jan and minsters literally refused to discuss Brexit with the press etc. parroting the line that "we've got Brexit done, just like we said".

It'll be the same thing on July 19: you can't have events of more than 500 people, you should still wear masks indoors, and try and keep distance from people where you can, but it's over, COVID is done, we're free.

1) Cap on gatherings of over 500 is absolutely not happening.

2) You “should” still wear masks in doors is a completely empty gesture to appease the Helen Lovejoys and Fake Sage types. If they don’t remain compulsory then the vast majority will bin them.

3) “Try and keep distance” again an empty gesture. If the 1m+ rule is binned in law then the only people that will follow the guidance are the people that are genuinely still worried and would be following it regardless of whether it was advised or not. 

14 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I find it very hard to believe that clubs will reopen from the 19th with anything other than zero restrictions. Clubbing with social distancing and masks? Nope. I wonder what the "extra precautions" are. Was that disclosed? I assume not.

So much contradictory information over the past few days and I can't see it getting any better over the coming weeks.

The US did it.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

The “extra precautions” likely means that T&T will still be in place (if fully vaccinated, replace with daily LFTs) and we’ll still have red list countries.

Nearly all domestic restrictions are being put squarely in the bin, exactly where they belong. 

I reckon face masks on public transport mandatory and 'encouragement' for a vaccine certificate for events. Not mandatory, but if you do have one in place, you get legal indemnity and wont have to close with outbreaks

25 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You realise a negative LFT is a better indicator of someone being covid free than proof of vaccination? 

Kinda what I'm trying to say- neither is great. Great if companies can't get sued though.

I heard on the radio a strange thing that might be starting to frame the narrative over this - they said over 300 Scottish fans were "in the transmission stage" when they went inside Wembley. Not a helpful narrative for events considering they could've actually caught it after the game and tested positive at home...

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 hours ago, MrBarry465 said:
Is it just me or has this been one of the most dissapointing summers (weather wise) in recent memory?

Fair enough we don't want heat waves and extreme weather, but there's been like 2 days over 25.... And looking at the long range forecast it doesnt look much better.

3 hours ago, Havors said:

Compared to last year its crap. We have had a week or two end of May and thats it. 

Maybe we’ve been lucky down here on the SE corner but it seems like rubbish days have been confined to the weekdays when we are busy anyway… doesn’t seem like it’s been a bad start to summer! 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I reckon face masks on public transport mandatory and 'encouragement' for a vaccine certificate for events. Not mandatory, but if you do have one in place, you get legal indemnity and wont have to close with outbreaks

That's as good as mandating it I guess - I also imagine no vaccine proof no insurance could be another way the private sector "regulates itself" 

15 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Clubs in America are open with masks mandatory and a requirement for people to socially distance?

Will vary from state to state. States like Texas are 100% open no restrictions whatsoever since March. 

Edit: 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/texas-covid-cases.html 

image.png

Edited by Havors

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Clubs in America are open with masks mandatory and a requirement for people to socially distance?

Sorry I mean like they just reopened as normal. It sounds like a leap but it is possible 

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its all so fucking cryptic...

So one hand we are being told nightclubs can open with no restrictions but it sounds like you still might have to wear a face mask in a supermarket...

Crazy times...   

While that sounds inconsistent on the face of it, I don't actually see it as such a major contradiction -

Nightclubs have a much, much younger age profile generally and anyone attending has actively chosen to do so. Whereas a Supermarket visit can arguably be out of necessity (as not everyone can afford to get deliveries etc) and so the option to stay away isn't the same.

If we end up with "All restrictions gone except for Masks in Shops and on Public Transport", then I'll consider that a success for now as it's a better outcome than I trust these cretins to come up with.

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's as good as mandating it I guess - I also imagine no vaccine proof no insurance could be another way the private sector "regulates itself" 

FA are planning to have a system for the forthcoming season

Of course there will be reopening anxiety and people will be nervous. People have been scared to death by this and the effects will last for a long time.

But we have done all we can do. Time to enjoy gigs and festivals again I say 🙂 time to get off with a stranger like old times. 

• Upvote 1