When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Im fine with mask wearing in some settings like public transport, and whatever people want to be comfortable with. But that's different to it being a rule. 

social distancing in a formal way is completely unacceptable though and need to be in the bin asap

I wouldn't be surprised if it is there to be used if there is an outbreak that could overwhelm health services...whether it is flu or covid or whatever...but hopefully most of the time wouldn't be required. Maybe wouldn't be so necessary here as other places because our vaccine uptake has been so good.

1 minute ago, jimmillen said:

That's sort of what I mean really - let's keep the changes that were happening anyway and that COVID has accelerated, where it makes sense to do so. 

The main thing I can see changing just on a societal acceptance point of view is being ill in public places. How many times pre-COVID did we share train carriages, or offices, or pubs, with somebody coughing & sneezing their head off - often not bothering to even cover their mouth or wash their hands? If in future they either stay at home, or wear a mask & practice better hygiene then that can surely only be a good thing.

The whole culture of 'presenteism' needed to be fucked off for a long time and I am glad it has.

I remember dickheads who used to come into the office as some sort of badge of honour even when they were ill. Absolute dickhead practise.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrBarry465 said:

If mask wearing becomes a societal norm and not say an 'eforced rule'..... are you going to make a big deal of it?

Societys tolerance for risk has changed and much like in large parts of Asia, mask wearing has been the norm for a while so it was always going to happen here. 

As a society/species we should be looking to evolve our behaviour over time and I think there might be something to be said for this pandemic that it has potentially brought forward things like 'mask wearing' as acceptable methods of protecting ones self and others. 

I’d be very surprised if it catches on in the UK outside of people wearing one when they’re sick. In Japan and South Korea, people generally wear face masks when they have a cold or the flu to protect others, but if you go on the Tokyo subway on a normal day (I.e. not during a pandemic) you’re not going to see everyone wearing a mask, only those who are actually unwell.

In China it’s a bit of a different story, mask wearing is commonplace due to the pollution as well as due to illnesses, so you do see a lot more healthy people wearing them.

I don’t see it catching on hugely in the UK. Look at Australia and NZ who are much more culturally similar to us, masks are not mandated anymore and really are not being voluntarily worn on a large scale. It certainly will be more popular than pre-pandemic norms but I think the majority of people will not be routinely wearing their face coverings once they are not legally mandated. 

Just now, zahidf said:

Why are you on a festival forum then?

Because I have gone to festivals and will continue to do so.

Doesn't change the fact that what you said is subjective. Personally I think 'social distancing' in a lot of areas of society makes total sense. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

The whole Wuhan lab thing is possinle, but there is still no actual evidence. But China have blocked some of the evidence investigators need, right? But they also cleared the suspected wet market of any evidence too. It is very possible we'll never actually know the source.

I honestly would recommend the book, it talks about a new coronavirus being identified in a bat cave back in 2008 I think it was (killed 4 people working in there), that was frozen and stored in the Wuhan lab. It has been confirmed as being almost the exact match and makeup of SARS-CoV-2. 

6 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

That's sort of what I mean really - let's keep the changes that were happening anyway and that COVID has accelerated, where it makes sense to do so. 

The main thing I can see changing just on a societal acceptance point of view is being ill in public places. How many times pre-COVID did we share train carriages, or offices, or pubs, with somebody coughing & sneezing their head off - often not bothering to even cover their mouth or wash their hands? If in future they either stay at home, or wear a mask & practice better hygiene then that can surely only be a good thing.

Used to hate people coming into the office ill- especially when I caught it and had to either miss or not enjoy something outside of work because I'd caught it from them 

But that could be traced to the culture of "if you're well enough to work then you're well enough to be in the office" , which I found to be completely untrue even before the infecting others argument 

5 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

It's so easily done if they want mass events to happen through testing. The pilot events (so far) have shown that the number of cases recorded in the post-event PCR tests are proportionate to what the England is/was at the time seeing in general.

It all comes down to the backlash the Tories will get from the anti-vaxx lot when they see a photo of 80,000 non-socially distanced teenagers at Bramham Park splashed on the front page of the Daily Mail when they're not allowed in the shop without a mask

Its mad really- they can break the law, lie without any consequences but allow some young people to have (proven safe)  fun and their daily mail supporters will turn on them.

And they've got such a majority they'll win next time anyway, when 2021 is a distant memory

Edited by efcfanwirral

17 hours ago, Gingerfish79 said:

This thread has become a joke. Adults squabbling like kids, and for what? Embarrassing. Maybe only post if you find some interesting, relevant news or have some genuine insight to share. 

Yup. Certain individuals have really made this thread an appalling read most of the time.

16 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ok, I'll try...difficult though when they are being such c**ts.

There is a better use of words.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

You think legally mandated formal social distancing is acceptable in the long run? 

In some cases I think it makes sense. 

I.e. trains. I've been on trains that have so many people on them you can barely get up and go to the loo to have a shit, as there are basically people sitting in the toilets. That sort of shortcutting needs to end yes. 

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I honestly would recommend the book, it talks about a new coronavirus being identified in a bat cave back in 2008 I think it was (killed 4 people working in there), that was frozen and stored in the Wuhan lab. It has been confirmed as being almost the exact match and makeup of SARS-CoV-2. 

yes, I heard that too, almost the exact match, but not completely....and still no real evidence it leaked from this lab. But, it definitely is possible. It happens, happened here with small pox in the 70s.

Just now, MrBarry465 said:

I.e. trains. I've been on trains that have so many people on them you can barely get up and go to the loo to have a shit, as there are basically people sitting in the toilets. That sort of shortcutting needs to end yes. 

That’s not social distancing. Fwiw I do agree that some trains are too crowded and there should be capacity limits like there are on buses (i.e. 100% of the seats available + however many can safely stand)

No idea how you’d enforce that but anyhow, it’s not the same thing as a 1m/2m social distancing rule. 

Don't think the western world would change behaviour to wearing masks on a regular basis. Social distancing has to end. Think of all the life events which would be ruined if it wasn't. I very much am looking forward to the spontaneity  of life but fear that I got another year of this.

One thing I hope doesn't stay is the anti-bacterial hand washing and over the top cleanliness. Its unhealthy. Not saying don't wash your hands but I know some people who are constantly cleaning their hands. Need your body to develop immune responses 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

I will get that book. I got some of the stuff I know about the Wuham lab leak theory from this podcast...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/jun/03/the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory-podcast

(I also listened to a podcast where interviewed authors of that book but I can't remember which one it was).

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yes, I heard that too, almost the exact match, but not completely....and still no real evidence it leaked from this lab. But, it definitely is possible. It happens, happened here with small pox in the 70s.

Not to cover old ground, but I just think using Occam’s razor theory, it would be extremely, extremely coincidental for it to originate just a few miles from a lab which is known for storing and analysing coronavirus. 

Edited by st dan

7 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Yeah everyone should space out on the packed tube when going to work...

Just now, st dan said:

Not to cover old ground, but I just think using Occam’s razor theory, it would be extremely, extremely coincidental for it to originate just a few miles from a lab which is known for storing and analysing coronavirus. 

In terms of what the next steps would be if let’s say it was an accidental leak for the Wuhan lab & following cover up, what would happen?

Sanctions on China?

I’m not clever enough to have a scooby on what the response would be internationally but I’m sure there are others on here who are.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Its mad really- they can break the law, lie without any consequences but allow some young people to have (proven safe)  fun and their daily mail supporters will turn on them.

And they've got such a majority they'll win next time anyway, when 2021 is a distant memory

It's insane, I need that Drake meme to properly illustrate it but 80k people at monthly London protests against mass gathering laws = good, 80k at a literal mass gathering at festivals = bad

1 minute ago, st dan said:

But at same time it may not have actually originated in Wuhan...I don't think we'll ever know...CDC don't seem to want to help anyone investigating too much and it's kind of become part of the USvsChina cold war thing.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s not social distancing. Fwiw I do agree that some trains are too crowded and there should be capacity limits like there are on buses (i.e. 100% of the seats available + however many can safely stand)

No idea how you’d enforce that but anyhow, it’s not the same thing as a 1m/2m social distancing rule. 

Nationalisation would probably be the only way because otherwise you're forcing private companies to take less profit. They can essentially run the networks as they see fit, and their shareholders are all that matters as there's no competition. People are pretty much a captive audience to the time and places they need to be.

Same with prices. It's horrible.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I will get that book. I got some of the stuff I know about the Wuham lab leak theory from this podcast...

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/jun/03/the-wuhan-lab-leak-theory-podcast

(I also listened to a podcast where interviewed authors of that book but I can't remember which one it was).

Thanks - will give that a listen. The book is currently only £12.35 on Amazon (booooo - I know, I know .. I should support the independents and other book chains) and if you’re interested in Covid then you won’t be able to put it down. Some extraordinary revelations, nothing particularly new in most cases - it just goes into them in far more detail.

Just now, andyrhodes24 said:

It's insane, I need that Drake meme to properly illustrate it but 80k people at monthly London protests against mass gathering laws = good, 80k at a literal mass gathering at festivals = bad

Wait what?

Those who are pro-lockdown don’t support either of these things going ahead, and anti-lockdowners support both. 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Or just you know, maybe think that logically it makes more sense to not have 99% of society all travelling into work at the same time? 

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

At least you lot in London have dozens of carriages and tubes every few minutes There are lines around Manchester where they only put on one or two carriages at peak time when they need at least double that sometimes just to get everyone on the train never mind have a comfortable experience. Then the next one is too late for people to make it to work. If it arrives at all. 

Extreme example but I've seen it happen many times on certain lines.