When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

34 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Down near St Ives for the week.  It's markedly different down in when it comes to covid.  People give each other a lot less space on the streets for sure.  Lots of the shops don't bother to implement number restrictions in the tight shops.  Also only been asked once to check in with the nhs app when visiting a pub / restaurant.  

If it wasn't for masks you wouldn't know there was a pandemic

Kids could even dance on the dance floor last night 

So much harder to get people to go along with that stuff when they are on holiday. A lot of places will have just given up trying. Hard enough as it is at the moment with staff shortages. And regarding the space on the streets, if is anything like here there literally isn't any space on the streets. 

I've also noticed a lot more people seem to be exempt from wearing face coverings this time round. Hmm... 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I said the other night that personally I would wait for all adults to be offered a 2nd dose before moving to step 4. Maybe have some things change in 21st June, eg larger groups can meet outdoors. However I realise that is fairly cautious as was pointed out to me.

That makes sense apart from the fact that if we use the governments target of end of July for all adults to have their first dose then 8 weeks on from that takes us to end of September ie just going into the colder months, that seems pretty risky to me 

Nerdy boffin doomy eggheads not having it: 

Asked if the lifting of all restrictions on social contact on 21 June should go ahead as planned, Mr Hopson said the government's decision has become "significantly more finely balanced" due to the NHS still being busy, the Delta variant's increased transmissibility and because many people are still unvaccinated.

He said that he now suspects that, instead of 21 June being an "all or nothing" day when remaining lockdown restrictions are lifted, there may be some things that will be able to change from that day - but it will be "too high risk" to relax other measures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57367849

(Hopson is head of NHS Providers)

30 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

That makes sense apart from the fact that if we use the governments target of end of July for all adults to have their first dose then 8 weeks on from that takes us to end of September ie just going into the colder months, that seems pretty risky to me 

Yup. A couple more weeks for double jabbing would be just about ok but longer is just over cautious. And the Tory MP won't have it.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

The Spanish Flu is still around in a mutated form. Covid is never going to truly vanish due it’s ability to be transmitted and mutate easily. 

We’ll get to a point where Covid vaccines become part of the regular vaccines received as a child. Ideally administered at the same time as the TB vaccines. 

Yep I can definitely see that myself. They give kids the flu jab now as well, will end up a combined jab or something. 

48 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Asked if the lifting of all restrictions on social contact on 21 June should go ahead as planned, Mr Hopson said the government's decision has become "significantly more finely balanced" due to the NHS still being busy, the Delta variant's increased transmissibility and because many people are still unvaccinated.

He said that he now suspects that, instead of 21 June being an "all or nothing" day when remaining lockdown restrictions are lifted, there may be some things that will be able to change from that day - but it will be "too high risk" to relax other measures.

Nail in the coffin for any summer festivals I think unfortunately. Unless something significant changes in the next few weeks. 

20 minutes ago, Copperface said:

The NHS still being busy? I can buy that due to the sheer backlog that will have been created, but it's no longer COVID creating new pressure in any significant numbers.

When the roadmap was announced in February, there was 16,855 people in hospital with COVID. Which itself was well below the January peak of 39,249. As of the most recent published figure, for June 2nd, there's currently 954 people in hospital - ie about 2% of the peak and about 6% of the number in February when these plans were first published (and yes, below the predicted best case scenario in those plans). While that number has risen slightly over the last week (by exactly 64 people), it's still below the 1,126 number from 10th May when the last decision was announced.

In terms of daily admissions - the NHS would typically expect to have an average of 13,448 for everything (2019 number), whereas the average for COVID admissions across the last 7 days is 121 (down from a peak of 4,181) - so it's currently less than 1% of average admissions. Why are we still pretending that this is an immediate risk to the NHS?

3 minutes ago, incident said:

The NHS still being busy? I can buy that due to the sheer backlog that will have been created, but it's no longer COVID creating new pressure in any significant numbers.

When the roadmap was announced in February, there was 16,855 people in hospital with COVID. Which itself was well below the January peak of 39,249. As of the most recent published figure, for June 2nd, there's currently 954 people in hospital - ie about 2% of the peak and about 6% of the number in February when these plans were first published (and yes, below the predicted best case scenario in those plans). While that number has risen slightly over the last week (by exactly 64 people), it's still below the 1,126 number from 10th May when the last decision was announced.

In terms of daily admissions - the NHS would typically expect to have an average of 13,448 for everything (2019 number), whereas the average for COVID admissions across the last 7 days is 121 (down from a peak of 4,181) - so it's currently less than 1% of average admissions. Why are we still pretending that this is an immediate risk to the NHS?

Because its the only thing that people well pay attention to. Threaten them with the NHS suffering and they will do whatever you want. Even if it is a lie this time. 

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Thr NHS guys have a vested interest in making sure hospitalisations are as low as possible. Which is fine but one piece of the puzzle of running the country 

11 minutes ago, incident said:

yeah...but exponential rise meaning need to act early etc...which is why need to make sure link between case rises and hospitalisations is broken, or at least weakened sufficiently.

Just now, steviewevie said:

yeah...but exponential rise meaning need to act early etc...which is why need to make sure link between case rises and hospitalisations is broken, or at least weakened sufficiently.

Chris Hopson is literally quoted in the same article saying that the link is broken (and as a result, the hospital admissions that have happened in Bolton have been less demanding on the NHS).

His argument is that the NHS is backlogged - which I said I accept. But if that's the only real justification to delay (as it appears to be), then it's not anywhere near enough reason to take that decision.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, incident said:

Why are we still pretending that this is an immediate risk to the NHS?

Put simply, because the Tories have become obsessed with regaining the narrative over what’s become a sacrosanct organisation (chiefly for political advantage). 

In the months before Covid, there was increasing attention on the era of Tory cuts to nurses, insufficient provision of hospitals and sales of private contracts for what were traditionally NHS services. 

Misleading claims about “strains on Our NHS” serve them well as the protector heroes of our time, doing whatever it takes to Save The NHS, despite their recent role as destroyers of the same service. 

Edited by kalifire

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Down near St Ives for the week.  It's markedly different down in when it comes to covid.  People give each other a lot less space on the streets for sure.  Lots of the shops don't bother to implement number restrictions in the tight shops.  Also only been asked once to check in with the nhs app when visiting a pub / restaurant.  

If it wasn't for masks you wouldn't know there was a pandemic

Kids could even dance on the dance floor last night 

I left my job in hospitality (mid cornwall) only a couple days ago, it has been horrendous since we reopened and several people I've worked with have also left. I can understand people being here on holiday not worrying and enjoying themselves but I've never known People to be so demanding. I feel for anyone still trapped in hospitality down here. I feel very lucky as I start a new job as a postman with Royal Mail next week and can't wait to start!

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We are being very patient and compliant.  One meal took three hours which we kindly but down to the pandemic rather than shite service and still left a tip.

To be honest it was probably just shite service given some of the staffs attitudes 🙄 😀

3 hours is 100 percent shite service! I've wanted to leave for a while anyway so the past few weeks have just sped up my exit.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We are being very patient and compliant.  One meal took three hours which we kindly put down to the pandemic rather than shite service and still left a tip.

To be honest it was probably just shite service given some of the staffs attitudes 🙄 😀

Are u here when the G7 starts? I'm hoping to see airforce one fly over but will be avoiding St.ives and Falmouth (where the protests are being held) whilst it's going on.

14 minutes ago, Euphoricape said:

I left my job in hospitality (mid cornwall) only a couple days ago, it has been horrendous since we reopened and several people I've worked with have also left. I can understand people being here on holiday not worrying and enjoying themselves but I've never known People to be so demanding. I feel for anyone still trapped in hospitality down here. I feel very lucky as I start a new job as a postman with Royal Mail next week and can't wait to start!

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

We are being very patient and compliant.  One meal took three hours which we kindly put down to the pandemic rather than shite service and still left a tip.

Have you guys ever been to the Longstore in Truro? Genuinely the best steak I’ve ever eaten 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Have you guys ever been to the Longstore in Truro? Genuinely the best steak I’ve ever eaten 

There is a  longstore in Charlestown near where I live and they are well known for their steaks! Really good cocktails too.

Edited by Euphoricape
Typo

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Why do so many people still not understand exponential growth?

I understand it - I just don't see any evidence whatsoever that it's likely.

And lots of evidence that it's not.

edit: Should clarify that I'm talking Hospitalisations and Deaths here - which are supposed to be the only metrics that matter. It's supposed to be the case that cases rising doesn't matter unless they put "unsustainable pressure on the NHS" - which it's now become clear that they won't.

Edited by incident
  • Upvote 1

Wasn't initial estimates for uptake of the jab around 70% before approval? Given we have far exceeded that especially in the most vulnerable groups and still yet to open up to under 30's, what would have happened if vaccine hesitancy was rife!? Permanent lockdown?

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

Wasn't initial estimates for uptake of the jab around 70% before approval? Given we have far exceeded that especially in the most vulnerable groups and still yet to open up to under 30's, what would have happened if vaccine hesitancy was rife!? Permanent lockdown?

In Europe they seem to cracking on with reopening