When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

When you boil water in a pan it doesn't boil over straight away. 

Dont forget, we're approaching exam season - which your told will make or break the rest of your life. 

2 of the best years of their lives have been stolen from them. Me and my mates still talk about stupid shit that happened while we were in sixth form some youngsters have missed that while two years of 'normal'

The easing of rules has brought home to me how much I've missed out on and I'm not going anymore. I've had my fun 

At what point have I stated this isnt going to happen ? 

5 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

When you boil water in a pan it doesn't boil over straight away. 

Dont forget, we're approaching exam season - which your told will make or break the rest of your life. 

2 of the best years of their lives have been stolen from them. Me and my mates still talk about stupid shit that happened while we were in sixth form some youngsters have missed that while two years of 'normal'

The easing of rules has brought home to me how much I've missed out on and I'm not going anymore. I've had my fun 

anecdotal...but my kid who is in year 11 has done ok in lockdown, but since being back at school started to regress to bad anxiety shit again. Thankfully she has now managed to finish all her GCSE assessments, it was touch and go for a while as she was refusing to go in...but we managed to get her back into school and she finished them all in the end. This weekend, with GCSE assessment pressure gone, she has resorted to pain in the arse teenager twat behaviour.

Edited by steviewevie

49 minutes ago, zahidf said:

End lockdowns

20210531_184521.jpg

I’m involved in schooling. The situation - at least around here - is exceptionally challenging, the schools are struggling with a horrible upsurge in self harm, attempted suicides and violent behaviour, more than they can cope with and are seeking help.

This is one of the tragic consequences we will have to tackle in the long term, otherwise we face a lost generation. 

Just out of interest how much are people currently getting hit by year groups and classes isolating ? prevalence of the virus is very low here and ive not heard about it for ages involving local schools .... I imagine its more of a northern thing where cases are high ?  how many weeks school have peoples kids missed since returning after last lockdown ? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Just out of interest how much are people currently getting hit by year groups and classes isolating ? prevalence of the virus is very low here and ive not heard about it for ages involving local schools .... I imagine its more of a northern thing where cases are high ?  how many weeks school have peoples kids missed since returning after last lockdown ? 

Zero closures in my lads bubble at all. But that's primary school - given we were top of the shit list for a while I'm surprised it's happened. 

Thing I'm finding hardest is motivating him to get out the house evenings and weekends. He had more time using electronic devices than ever during lockdown because we were both working full time jobs at home, he was doing online learning and rightly or wrongly he spent more time on computers and things after lessons than he normally would have done. All of his mates are the same aswell it seems.  

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

anecdotal...but my kid who is in year 11 has done ok in lockdown, but since being back at school started to regress to bad anxiety shit again. Thankfully she has now managed to finish all her GCSE assessments, it was touch and go for a while as she was refusing to go in...but we managed to get her back into school and she finished them all in the end. This weekend, with GCSE assessment pressure gone, she has resorted to pain in the arse teenager twat behaviour.

The media coverage can't help kids who are anxious about going back to school anyway. I think lots of kids, like adults have just got used to being stuck at home. 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

as far as I know my kid's school in S Manc has hardly been affected at all. In the autumn term it was pretty bad.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

My wife youngest has just completed his 5th self isolation period of this school year. 1 of them he actually had covid. 

He’s in year 10 at a school in Bolton. It’s affected him massively and been really disruptive. I’m not sure how fair exams will be when some kids have lost so much face to face time compared to others in his exams next year. 

3 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

The media coverage can't help kids who are anxious about going back to school anyway. I think lots of kids, like adults have just got used to being stuck at home. 

My kid just couldn't handle the pressure. She's bright and has a lot of expectations on her, and she can't cope with it. Just before lockdown she was skipping school and self harming, it was bad, we got her into CAMHS...and she started therapy, then refused...and then the pandemic and lockdown hit and until she went back to school this spring she has mostly been ok. 

Edited by steviewevie

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Also...I'm not playing down the damage lockdown has done to kids, just saying with mine, and I expect with many others, being out of school has actually been a positive. 

Undoubtedly, on the flip side it's been really good to have the boy at home, we have watched some serious tv and films in terms of amount and content! 

8 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

My wife youngest has just completed his 5th self isolation period of this school year. 1 of them he actually had covid. 

He’s in year 10 at a school in Bolton. It’s affected him massively and been really disruptive. I’m not sure how fair exams will be when some kids have lost so much face to face time compared to others in his exams next year. 

wow thats huge amounts of time and just a few posts in this thread shows the differences between loss of learning between different kids and thats before you take into account the lost learning of those without access to internet and laptops in deprived areas .... the difference between how people have been affected is as much an issue as the actuall loss of learning 

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Also...I'm not playing down the damage lockdown has done to kids, just saying with mine, and I expect with many others, being out of school has actually been a positive. 

I guarantee I'd have been the same if this had happened when I was in school. I generally hated it

29 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I guarantee I'd have been the same if this had happened when I was in school. I generally hated it

yeah, me too....from 13 onwards I kind of just gave up with it and subsequently left school with not many qualifications...took me a few years of going nowhere before going back into education. My kid is different though...she actually liked school, very keen, wants to do well, works hard, perfectionist, wants to be the best etc etc...always gets glowing reports...but it's just the pressure she couldn't cope with in the end...the whole of her high school all seemed to be geared towards getting the best GCSE results possible...it was drummed into them...exams every term etc etc. Kind of sad really. Year 8 and 9 were the worst, kin'ell....she really went through it the poor kid. During lockdown she was slightly removed from the pressure I guess, just did the lessons and work, and was mostly ok. Anyway, she's finished now, and I reckon she'll probably end up doing well....and we have a few months before worrying about what comes next! But but but, I think on the whole lockdown is really bad for kids and young people, I really do...and I really think society owes them massively.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

another anecdotal...my vaccine hero friend has a son who has ADHD as well as some other issues who has really suffered badly from lockdown...infact my friend was really quite anti lockdown because of this....

Only just less anecdotal, I work with kids and adults on the autistic spectrum.  The kids have really struggled with adults (teachers and parents) not being able to be certain about any....f***king....thing. This has got to be difficult for all children who rely on the grown ups to “know” what’s going on.  And I really fear for those whose family circumstances aren’t the best, even in good times,

There’s a lot we will learn in retrospect about the impact of both the pandemic and the lockdown   I hope attention is paid to it,  though I know the temptation - for me as much as anyone  - will be to celebrate the return to “normality” rather than to look back on difficult times. 

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Blue letter system ses a disaster 

Yep, my blue letter ended up in a house a few streets away, luckily it was posted on the local Facebook page. This wasn't the postman's fault it had the wrong address on it, the word Drive was there instead of Grove. Every single day there are plenty of misplaced blue envelopes going up on the local Facebook group looking for there owners. I'll make my jab on Friday but plenty of people will miss there's.

31 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, me too....from 13 onwards I kind of just gave up with it and subsequently left school with not many qualifications...took me a few years of going nowhere before going back into education. My kid is different though...she actually liked school, very keen, wants to do well, works hard, perfectionist, wants to be the best etc etc...always gets glowing reports...but it's just the pressure she couldn't cope with in the end...the whole of her high school all seemed to be geared towards getting the best GCSE results possible...it was drummed into them...exams every term etc etc. Kind of sad really. Year 8 and 9 were the worst, kin'ell....she really went through it the poor kid. During lockdown she was slightly removed from the pressure I guess, just did the lessons and work, and was mostly ok. Anyway, she's finished now, and I reckon she'll probably end up doing well....and we have a few months before worrying about what comes next! But but but, I think on the whole lockdown is really bad for kids and young people, I really do...and I really think society owes them massively.

24 minutes ago, mandolin said:

Only just less anecdotal, I work with kids and adults on the autistic spectrum.  The kids have really struggled with adults (teachers and parents) not being able to be certain about any....f***king....thing. This has got to be difficult for all children who rely on the grown ups to “know” what’s going on.  And I really fear for those whose family circumstances aren’t the best, even in good times,

There’s a lot we will learn in retrospect about the impact of both the pandemic and the lockdown   I hope attention is paid to it,  though I know the temptation - for me as much as anyone  - will be to celebrate the return to “normality” rather than to look back on difficult times. 

I think all this is why I've got the concerns I've covered many times about the winters. The door to lockdowns has been opened now and I'm worried we may struggle to shut it. NHS capacity being tied to freedom in some corners even yesterday. That needs to be nipped in the bud now, it can't be anything other than a last resort, and that includes properly funding and running the health service. The damage it has done is bad enough, and I'm not convinced its fully behind us 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think all this is why I've got the concerns I've covered many times about the winters. The door to lockdowns has been opened now and I'm worried we may struggle to shut it. NHS capacity being tied to freedom in some corners even yesterday. That needs to be nipped in the bud now, it can't be anything other than a last resort, and that includes properly funding and running the health service. The damage it has done is bad enough, and I'm not convinced its fully behind us 

Well I'll simply refuse to stay indoors away from friends and family post 2 jabs. 

14 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Yep, my blue letter ended up in a house a few streets away, luckily it was posted on the local Facebook page. This wasn't the postman's fault it had the wrong address on it, the word Drive was there instead of Grove. Every single day there are plenty of misplaced blue envelopes going up on the local Facebook group looking for there owners. I'll make my jab on Friday but plenty of people will miss there's.

Doesn't help that the scottish gov are unable to ever admit they might have got something wrong. Always have to be dragged kicking and screaming to change course. Just let people book online ffs it isn't rocket science.

The mistake was always providing dates for the stages of the roadmap, despite barking on about it being about ‘data not dates’.
If June 21st wasn’t given in the first place, I think we’d all be relatively happy waiting until all adults to have their first vaccine before fully unlocking, which would probably be around mid July. 

Edited by st dan
  • Upvote 1