When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I'd be happy to continue using a mask on public transport/in supermarkets, even if it's not asked of people. It's a very minor inconvenience to me that could make a difference.

Trying not to get too carried away with this good vaccine news, but it is most welcomely received :) 

This is where I am with the news today as well.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, like in Japan.

Won't happen here though.

possibly not an immediate thing .... but it is certainly something im sure more people would be happy to adopt ... hopefully it will remain socially acceptable and we have learnt from this .... 

The mask wearing in the east thing is interesting - Japan has a great healthcare system with very little spend, mostly (IMHO) because of their generally healthier lifestyle. With mask wearing I think a lot of it is because they're a collectivist society, more focus on the general good rather than the good of the individual.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

possibly not an immediate thing .... but it is certainly something im sure more people would be happy to adopt ... hopefully it will remain socially acceptable and we have learnt from this .... 

Just now, topmarksbri said:

The mask wearing in the east thing is interesting - Japan has a great healthcare system with very little spend, mostly (IMHO) because of their generally healthier lifestyle. With mask wearing I think a lot of it is because they're a collectivist society, more focus on the general good rather than the good of the individual.

Yeah I'd love to do it to protect others here but I doubt it will become socially acceptable to the small minority who'd happily abuse/beat up/ stab you for being a government sheep or something.. 

Well the news a lot of us having been waiting for, a vaccine.

Hopefully this will reduce the burden on the NHS and stop the ridiculous death tolls we see on a daily basis,

Of course masks, testing, distancing and isolation are still going to be with us for a long time to come, but those package of measures combined with a vaccine could really put this virus to bed over the next year or so and stop a repeat of the ridiculous death tolls we’ve had over the past few months.

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah I'd love to do it to protect others here but I doubt it will become socially acceptable to the small minority who'd happily abuse/beat up/ stab you for being a government sheep or something.. 

hopefully we can learn something ..... 

Just now, FestivalJamie said:

Well the news a lot of us having been waiting for, a vaccine.

Hopefully this will reduce the burden on the NHS and stop the ridiculous death tolls we see on a daily basis,

Of course masks, testing, distancing and isolation are still going to be with us for a long time to come, but those package of measures combined with a vaccine could really put this virus to bed over the next year or so and stop a repeat of the ridiculous death tolls we’ve had over the past few months.

Plus it should enable events to start happening at least outside when the weather starts to improve in the Spring. This news makes Glastonbury 2021 even more likely!

Just now, Ozanne said:

Plus it should enable events to start happening at least outside when the weather starts to improve in the Spring. This news makes Glastonbury 2021 even more likely!

For sure! Outdoor events/ indoor with good ventilation are looking ever more promising! Festivals next year could be on the cards for sure.

Indoor gigs and nightclubs in crammed and poorly ventilated spaces though could just be a write off for the considerable though, given the research in the recent German study.

If this vaccine really does start to help things, I’m going to call it early and say that germany has played it one of the best out of all european countries.

An early lockdown in the first wave, mass testing from the beginning, a reasonable contact tracing system, mask adoption as early as April, focus on ventilation rather than sanitisation of spaces. And on the 10th November they will start to set up over 50 vaccination centres across the country. 

Whilst our current response at this current moment in time is nowhere near as bad as Belgium’s or Frances, it’s certainly taken us a long long time to build up our testing and our tracing system is still poor, and we weren’t proactive from the start of the pandemic like Germany were, although I hope we have learnt lessons along the way.

For me, i don’t mind masks sticking around in indoor public spaces. Maybe not cinemas and theatres in the future, but shopping and public transport id always be happy to wear a mask to protect the vulnerable from any respiratory problems.

13 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Blowing out candles on birthday cakes will be a permanent change as well.

When you think about it that is kind of gross though...

This is great news on the vaccine, following a great weekend of it. Things are on the up :)

Will be watching the presser. Presume it's vaccine plus a note to be a bit cautious for a while longer until people actually get the vaccine.