When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Yep definately an upward path now ... but is it because of the testing of the localised outbreaks ? What I can’t understand is Swindon .... lots of workplace positive tests all over the place but they don’t seem to think it’s community transmission ... with that number surely it is and that would surely be prudent to localise lockdown 

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

I think what people mean when they talk about you wanting full lockdown again, is that you seem to almost exclusively focus on the negatives in your posts. The situation absolutely needs caution, but your posts come across as if it's still April. 

I think that's a bit unfair on the poster who is clearly anxious about Covid and regularly discusses his thoughts and asks for advice... which is good as if we can help him feel more reassured then I'm pleased with that

We can't will Covid away with positivity I'm afraid and unfortunately they have been so many negatives around how it's been handled by our Gov, it's actually hard to be positive - no one wants a full lockdown, I'm in Manchester with partial lockdown and tbh it's a bit sh*t and is really damaging the region economically

We have cases rising again which I feel is the inevitable effect of everything opening up, sure they have added a few countries on the quarantine list but this is going to be counter acted anyway as Boris has just opened a load of other stuff which will equal yet more movement and most likely more cases...

The only positive I can see at the moment (and this is the only one) is that hospitalisations/deaths don't seem to be going up on par with case rises - I do hope this continues 🤞

Edited by shoptildrop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Considering that 300 of that latest total comes from a single outbreak it’s not actually that bad. Hopefully there are strong measures in place to keep those affected in Northampton secure. 

I don't understand why they are not locking them down immediately like Manchester at least, as more cases there than here in Manchester :huh:

2 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I don't understand why they are not locking them down immediately like Manchester at least, as more cases there than here in Manchester :huh:

They won’t go out and spend if they are fully locked down. This is why our way of doing things doesn’t fit with a deadly virus. If the answer to a deadly virus is go out more risking your life, to ensure money comes in then the system is broken. 

Edited by Ozanne
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Nz style ... but huge numbers more !! All those people will have gone home to families !! 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

Most of the work force will come from the local area so it makes sense to get something official in place. It’s a large employer in a small town, you can guarantee almost everyone will know someone who works there. 

13 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

+1441 cases, and people saying they aren’t increasing, seems pretty clear they are increasing to me.

Think we are slipping into France territory here. Will find ourselves on our own quarantine list soon. 😔

If it’s of any comfort, it’s at a much lower pace than before and we’re putting in more direct action to stop the spread. As well as this we can see that there hasn’t been a huge increase in hospitalisations and deaths, we also know a lot more with how to deal with it so whilst it seems it could be getting worse it might now end up being as severe as time’s before 

• Upvote 1

I work for a local authority, and I have been heavily involved in the Covid Response since before lockdown. 

We were at one point third on the list of cases and marked as concern - this was largely due to out breaks at two large employers, which then leads to further testing and more cases etc... What people don't see, and doesn't get reported is the assistance these businesses then get the help they get from the local authority, public health England etc.. etc.. 

What an increasing amount of my time is now being spent on is identifying risk, gathering intelligence quickly so the response can be quicker outbreaks should now where I am at least start to be spotted in various settings earlier, meaning a faster response from the experts mentioned above which should stop or reduce the need for lockdowns think of it as an ultra local (specific building, employers etc) intervention . People should take comfort from the fact that these things are happening. 

The longer this has gone on more data is flowing and being shared from PHE that is ending up in the hands of local experts who are then able to take effective in the ground action the aim of every local authority should be to spot the signs of an outbreak before it becomes an outbreak if you do that you can avoid lockdowns as these aren't a silver bullet they don't stop the virus they just slow it. 

Where I am cases are increasing slightly but nothing scary at the moment the next challenge we are predicting is when the schools go back - but already intelligence is being worked on there to risk rate schools based on all manner of factors using a combination of the things they have put in place, the intelligence about the age of staff, demographic make up of pupils all sorts. 

For me personally, it's been an incredibly rewarding experience in a professional sense and given the data I have access to there have been some scary times but for where I live I feel it's being well managed by some incredibly clever hardworking people and we are perhaps starting to turn the corner when it comes to managing the virus rather than beating it. 

• Upvote 3