When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...people can just ignore the quarantine thing...right?

Yes, just ignore it, but if you get caught, there’s a £1000 fine.

Also you would be risking spreading the virus again into the community which could spark further restrictions and put more lives at risk.

Up to people to be responsible in this situation.

Edited by FestivalJamie

3 hours ago, JoeyT said:

I'm not sure if it's just us Brits but we seem to have an odd obsession / arrogance that seemingly going abroad on holiday is so precious it must happen under any circumstance even during a global pandemic!

Some of these people need to give their head a shake.

It's doing my head in. Along with the rebranding that going on holiday to a lovely part of the UK is a "staycation". When I was a kid and we went to the Lake District or the Wye Valley, it was a "holiday". A staycation is booking a week off work, binge watching Survivor, ordering take out every night and playing a whole Final Fantasy game.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...people can just ignore the quarantine thing...right?

To a degree but if everyone you work with knows you've gone on holiday to France, they'll be a perturbed if you then show up. Likewise the biggest problem with the timing here will be the kids being back in school in two weeks. You'd need them to lie to their mates/teachers. 

No-one is going to be able to enforce it if you pop to the shops, have someone round, or go down the pub - but if you're turning up for work/school when people know you shouldn't be that's a bit different.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steviewevie said:

From The Express.

That's kinda fascinating as that's the sort of data the Brexiteers were using all along. Because if you add up all the countries in the EU together, it's a higher number than it is for the UK. Therefore "they need us more than we need them" and "they'll suffer more than we will". That stuff was true. It's just the suffering is spread out over loads of countries and we're just one, so it's actually far worse for us.

42 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes but I’m talking about the Transport Minister on Sky News saying it was 4am Sunday morning. 

oh okay, can't say I ever listen to him but found the tweet from last night - 4am Saturday morning the same as they did with Spain

44 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’ve decided I’m not going to go. There’s always a small chance it’s a false negative and you are right; it’s indoors and too many people for me to be comfortable with coupled with the contact trace thing. Tis the second gathering I’ve dodged this week!

Definitely a stage back from you, but I’m booking in for an indoor Thai restaurant next week so that will be my first major step out of the house into an indoor public space. And I definitely feel more comfortable about that than going to this gathering tomorrow!

I think it sounds like the right thing to do for you, as get the impression you would be worrying too much to enjoy yourself...

Stick with the smaller steps you can control as does look like a better option for you tbh

2 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

The point people are making and I myself are making is that a further easing of restrictions tomorrow is extremely counter-intuitive given the rising case numbers

But this is not true. ONS said today cases have levelled off.

1 in 1900 have it now. It was 1 in 1400 a short while ago. So prevalence is decreasing. 

I think what people mean when they talk about you wanting full lockdown again, is that you seem to almost exclusively focus on the negatives in your posts. The situation absolutely needs caution, but your posts come across as if it's still April. 

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's doing my head in. Along with the rebranding that going on holiday to a lovely part of the UK is a "staycation". When I was a kid and we went to the Lake District or the Wye Valley, it was a "holiday". A staycation is booking a week off work, binge watching Survivor, ordering take out every night and playing a whole Final Fantasy game.

To a degree but if everyone you work with knows you've gone on holiday to France, they'll be a perturbed if you then show up. Likewise the biggest problem with the timing here will be the kids being back in school in two weeks. You'd need them to lie to their mates/teachers. 

No-one is going to be able to enforce it if you pop to the shops, have someone round, or go down the pub - but if you're turning up for work/school when people know you shouldn't be that's a bit different.

Not just perturbed if u turn up many employers inc mine will be saying if you are told to quarantine and u come into work u can face disciplinary action. They will let u work from home if that is feasible or u were already doing that .

4 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

1 in 1900 have it now. It was 1 in 1400 a short while ago. So prevalence is decreasing. 

I think what people mean when they talk about you wanting full lockdown again, is that you seem to almost exclusively focus on the negatives in your posts. The situation absolutely needs caution, but your posts come across as if it's still April. 

When did anyone say they wanted full lockdown again?

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

My point is perspective is required. 

I think he’s given some the most in-depth discussion posts in this thread, adding good points in face masks and ongoing lockdown restrictions. He’s not coming across at all like he wants full lockdown back as proven by his post about him going away for a few days. I’d say he’s given some good perspective on the issue. 

57 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's doing my head in. Along with the rebranding that going on holiday to a lovely part of the UK is a "staycation". When I was a kid and we went to the Lake District or the Wye Valley, it was a "holiday". A staycation is booking a week off work, binge watching Survivor, ordering take out every night and playing a whole Final Fantasy gam

yeah, this. Hate that w*nky staycation word.

Anyway, if we're going to stop fucking the environment we're all going to have to stop flying...so may as well get used to staycations.

28 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

watch people ignore that prevalence is decreasing, its what we do as a people, focus on only the negative

I am trying so hard to be positive for a change, its tough

16 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I think what people mean when they talk about you wanting full lockdown again, is that you seem to almost exclusively focus on the negatives in your posts. 

No one has said that I want “full lockdown again” apart from you? 

I have not once said that I want to be in lockdown, nor has anyone else in this forum, I don’t know where you’re getting this from but you certainly have a creative imagination. 

I am simply picking up on things we can do better to prevent a second wave. The last place I want to be is in the position spain are in right now. I have highlighted that there are things we can do better regarding contact tracing, masks and rule enforcement to prevent a big spike when schools reopen. 

Being in “full lockdown” again would be completely counter-intuitive and actually is completely unnecessary in the current situation. But I do think the action taken against countries with increasing infection rates is necessary.

ONS says that infections have levelled off but looking at official statistics, cases are increasing this month even though testing has levelled off (tests are consistently about 165,000 a day), which indicates a small increase in infection rate in the last week or two. Maybe not since beginning of July, as testing has also increased, but since beginning of august there has definitely been an uptick due to daily cases topping 1000 3 times now, and targeted testing has remained consistent.

I do my research, I try and make my posts as factual as possible. I compare our strategy compared to other countries and I want the best for ours. Sure, I may be more introverted and cautious when it comes to getting out there back into society, and that’s a personal choice and it’s my personal stressed and worried nature, but I don’t think I only focus on the negatives. There are definitely some things we are doing well now that we weren’t doing back in March-April. We have an extremely good testing capacity now, better treatments and better mask rules than we did before, combined with other mitigation’s in businesses such as screens, hand sanitiser, enhanced cleaning etc. These are all things that I have been positive about and am pleased to see. But it doesn’t mean we can’t do better. There are things other countries do better that we could implement to keep our infection rates lower and prevent a surge, and I'm just trying to elaborate on those points.

Am I worried about a second wave? Not particularly worried, but I will act cautiously, as it is extremely possible we will follow the path of the other countries.

Am I worried about my family’s health? More-so.

Do I think that I’ve been negative throughout? Not at all, and as I’ve said above there have been developments throughout this process that I have been extremely positive about, but there are things that we can do better and I won’t hesitate to comment on them.

And back in full lockdown is the last place I want any of us to be right now, it will wreck the economy more, damage people’s mental health and lead to even further unemployment. I mean I even lost my job during this period, so I never “wanted” the initial lockdown- but did I think it was necessary? Yes. All I want is for the government to make the right decisions at the right time. And right now, a full lockdown is far from the right decision.

• Upvote 3