Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

16 hours ago, H.M.V said:

True. Can you remember what it was like for foot and mouth? I used to avoid town on paddies day cos it was always too packed. Haven't lived in Ireland for a few years now and limited in news other than what my pals at home post on Facebook. Irish news is not a priority over in the UK. 

You should watch varadkers press conference from yesterday 

3 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Sounds like Coachella is being postponed until October if you believe the rumours on Twitter this morning!

Anyone fancy Glasto at Halloween? 🤣

Glastonbury will be cancelled if it doesn't happen in June, not postponed.

The weather in California gives Coachella another shot in the same year - but i reckon they're going to find most of their line-up already have other shows booked in so I reckon it's going to be hard to pull off.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I assumed that would be the case - was just joking. I think even the most diehard Glasto attendees would have to think twice if they decided to move it to winter 😂

Michael would still be there in his shorts of course.

2 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

I assumed that would be the case - was just joking. I think even the most diehard Glasto attendees would have to think twice if they decided to move it to winter 😂

Michael would still be there in his shorts of course.

The weather thread would be a fantastic read!

1 hour ago, guypjfreak said:

Lol yes old son.. Mind you there might be the odd loo roll to be had... 

On the loo roll issue at this rate glastonbury might be a cancelled due to the lack of loo rolls lol. 

Stay safe stu old son 

How do you differentiate between your male children?

Just now, H.M.V said:

Why is he still in charge?

Cause the country and world is too occupied with COVID 19, there needs to be another election later in the year. Micheal Martin doing his upmost to force a FF/FG marriage together. The cancellations of the parades here in Dublin, Cork, Waterford etc have been pretty big news here as you can imagine. Where oh where will the yanky doodles wave their miniature tri-colours now

This from an interview with the deputy chief medical officer on the BBC

"Dr Harries said cancelling big outdoor events like football matches would not necessarily be a decision supported by science. 

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are relatively safe."

I'm feeling optimistic.

Edited by Losing my hair

56 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The weather in California gives Coachella another shot in the same year - but i reckon they're going to find most of their line-up already have other shows booked in so I reckon it's going to be hard to pull off.

I don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but the weather would be a strange reason, given that the weather is generally shit in June they'd have the same chances in September.

I'd assume that the real issue would be licensing and re-booking bands but I'd bet my right arm they'd prefer to have it later in the year than cancel if it was even vaguely possible. Even though they'll have insurance it will surely be financially damaging to so many to cancel it.

I'd even hazard a guess they'd rather proceed with fill-in headliners than not at all if it were possible.

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but the weather would be a strange reason, given that the weather is generally shit in June they'd have the same chances in September.

I'd assume that the real issue would be licensing and re-booking bands but I'd bet my right arm they'd prefer to have it later in the year than cancel if it was even vaguely possible. Even though they'll have insurance it will surely be financially damaging to so many to cancel it.

I'd even hazard a guess they'd rather proceed with fill-in headliners than not at all if it were possible.

U.K. summer is June -August, you’re just as likely to get good or bad weather in June as you are August. September would be a bit more dicey, as someone who spent a few years going to Bestival I’ve experienced bother glorious Sun, torrential rain and hurricanes.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

19 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

One of the things that kills the virus is UV - you don't get more sunshine than the end of June.

16 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It’s not just the weather though, it’s the logistics that go with it. Coachella is in the middle of the desert so it’s not really disruptive to anyone no matter when they have it, Glastonbury is in the middle of a populated area. For the most part the weather is ok for Glastonbury weekend - I’ve been going since 2008 and there’s only been one properly horrendous year in all that time - 2016. Remember how disruptive that year was on the local community? You start moving the festival to autumn and you increase the chances of something like that happening, something that local authorities wouldn’t sign off on (I’m pretty sure Glastonbury’s licence is for that specific weekend in June).

Also, even if they CAN get agreement from the local council to delay the festival, you then have to consider that the land is not exclusively owned by the Eavises so they would need to negotiate that issue with the neighbouring farms, there is then availability of facilities like toilets (remember when they had the fallow year in 2012 and Michael said one of the reasons was because all the portaloos were being used for the Olympics?), catering outlets, all the staff not just for that weekend but in the lead up to build the place, equipment such as lighting, speakers etc that may all be booked for elsewhere...

...THEN you can start looking at the lineup and whether acts are still available to play. 

I agree with Neil, if the festival doesn’t happen on the last weekend in June then it won’t happen this year. 

32 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

there's the best part of 6 months for Coachella between April and October, which is a long enough time to be fairly confident that things will have changed since April.

If Glastonbury delayed for 2 (and a bit) months, I don't think you can really be too hopeful that things will have changed since June. And a 2nd postponement would be heaping moire damage onto the festival company, it's probably a risk too-far.

Of the two, a postponed Coachella looks far more likely to go ahead, I'd say.

Edited by eFestivals

The yanks are fuckered due to a variety of reasons. My cousin works for the US navy. He has a security clearance, not sure what level, he’s non military personnel. He’s back in Ireland now with his American wife and kids. I’m hoping to meet him for a pint at the weekend. I think he has to go back though. He’s leaving the wife and kids here with his parents. 

Edited by Madyaker