Dua Lipa

CaledonianGonzo

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Fair enough. As harsh as it sounds, I just wouldn't want to waste my time watching a mediocre performance of a great album (aka 'doing a Lana Del Rey')

You never know though until you see for yourself. If you love the album then it's surely worth a roll of the dice.

57 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You never know though until you see for yourself. If you love the album then it's surely worth a roll of the dice.

True, but if someone is consistently reported as dross live then it's equally worth assuming that's going to be the case, and you'd rather not hear an album you love be performed to sound like poop. 

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

True, but if someone is consistently reported as dross live then it's equally worth assuming that's going to be the case, and you'd rather not hear an album you love be performed to sound like poop. 

If someone ever said "I love this album, and I love live music, but I don't want to see songs from it played live in case the artist does not do it justice", their brain should be donated to science immediately.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If someone ever said "I love this album, and I love live music, but I don't want to see songs from it played live in case the artist does not do it justice", their brain should be donated to science immediately.

Not really, especially if the artist has a well established reputation for being bobbins live. Taking the example of LDR, having heard reports, read reviews of her gigs and seen footage myself I would certainly be wary of seeing her live. Doesn’t matter as much in a festival setting where it’s only a small part of the overall experience and you can always wander off, but when being asked to part with 60-70 notes for an O2 ticket I can understand the reticence.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I love Dylan. I love live music. I have absolutely zero desire to hear Bob do terrible things to Mr Tambourine Man.

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

I love Dylan. I love live music. I have absolutely zero desire to hear Bob do terrible things to Mr Tambourine Man.

Reckon you might when he packs it in.

I'm not budging. If it's an act you really like then forget what people on the internet say and go experience it for yourself. Like who are @fjbelrkdv and @hu_hu_hu_ to decide your time? In years to come are you really gonna be pleased that you never bothered hearing your favourite song played because @ppaelkos said they went to the last tour and their mates got bored?

After a year off gigs I'm here regretting the shows I didn't go to, not the ones I did.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong I'm not out to try and change your position. And yeah, 9 times out 10 it's worth giving it a go.

But by the same token I don't work on the basis of going to see stuff because "I should". But then I apply that principle to a lot of things.

For the last 12 months however, I'd agree with you. I'd watch damn near anything at the moment.

Except Bob 😉

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Reckon you might when he packs it in.

I'm not budging. If it's an act you really like then forget what people on the internet say and go experience it for yourself. Like who are @fjbelrkdv and @hu_hu_hu_ to decide your time? In years to come are you really gonna be pleased that you never bothered hearing your favourite song played because @ppaelkos said they went to the last tour and their mates got bored?

After a year off gigs I'm here regretting the shows I didn't go to, not the ones I did.

Absolutely. I always loved The Velvet Underground. Never thought they’d reform, but they did, briefly, in 1993. I got second row tickets for London. The reviews for that tour aren’t always complimentary - doing for the money, Lou was sporting a mullet and playing a headless guitar etc, but so what - I fucking loved it. There are a few acts I regret not going to see, but none that I do regret seeing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i saw her in manchester and birmingham, amazing show from start to finish - her performances now are so so so much better than what they were, and just keeps improving more and more, and also gaining a lot more confidence - definitely a future headliner! especially with the sheer amount of bangers she has just from 2 albums! really wish i was catching her on this tour again for a third time ngl