2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

6 minutes ago, allpointsnorth said:

Big Thief have been confirmed to play 'The Govenors Ball' in NYC on 25/09/21. The glass half full part of me sees this as optimistic news for EOTR because at least they will be in 'playing live mode' around the time of EOTR and haven't simply written off playing live until next year. However is it financially viable for them to just play EOTR, I am not so sure?

Which leads me on to my next thought, has a headliner EVER played EOTR before and not played any other dates around the same time in Europe? I was wondering whether Joanna Newsom might have the one time? But I doubt it..

That one-off band/supergroup that covered Gene Clarke’s No Other album headlined the Garden Stage. Was the only gig they did outside the US

Someone a few pages back asked about stewarding. An email has gone out yesterday to those who have done this before inviting them to apply. Applications for first time stewards will open on 17th May. At the moment you can't request a specific shift pattern (they will allocate you what you had last year), however this will likely/hopefully change once more spaces become available from dropouts.

18 minutes ago, allpointsnorth said:

Big Thief have been confirmed to play 'The Govenors Ball' in NYC on 25/09/21. The glass half full part of me sees this as optimistic news for EOTR because at least they will be in 'playing live mode' around the time of EOTR and haven't simply written off playing live until next year. However is it financially viable for them to just play EOTR, I am not so sure?

Which leads me on to my next thought, has a headliner EVER played EOTR before and not played any other dates around the same time in Europe? I was wondering whether Joanna Newsom might have the one time? But I doubt it..

They're not flying half way around the world for a single, small festival, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, allpointsnorth said:

Both headline sets from Joanna Newsom didn't have other European dates around them, and the first time in 2011 she didn't have any dates anywhere - she hadn't played for a few months and didn't play again for another six months or so.

I think it was similar with Vampire Weekend.  They hadn't played in Europe for about four years before EOTR in 2018, and again didn't play anywhere again until March 2019.

14 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

HAIM touring  UK in September. Potential headliner?

Their first date isn't until 23 September. Also you'd expect Live Nation to be not so keen on having them play someone else's festival when they still have tickets to sell for their own tour ?

3 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Vampire Weekend was one hell of a booking. Not that I saw them....

It was superb. Absolutely knocked it out the park, stepped up and did a really good 'hits' set. They had the new album ready to go but knew it wasn't the time or place to play new stuff. Saw them the following summer at Glastonbury and it was a completely different (but equally good) show.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Goodfinger said:

Both headline sets from Joanna Newsom didn't have other European dates around them, and the first time in 2011 she didn't have any dates anywhere - she hadn't played for a few months and didn't play again for another six months or so.

I think it was similar with Vampire Weekend.  They hadn't played in Europe for about four years before EOTR in 2018, and again didn't play anywhere again until March 2019.

Yep without checking that does seem correct about Vampire Weekend.

Ok well that's confirmed. We can then safely say that Big Thief will be playing 😆!

I swear I read that Vampire Weekend were booked as part of the album launch tour, but the album was delayed and they decided to play anyway to "sharpen up"

To echo others they crushed it. I've always felt slightly embarrassed about liking them but since that set I've always been an unabashed fan

8 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I mean yeah you may be right however... you may also be wrong

I'd be happily proved wrong on this (and would also be happy with Georgia, who is supporting them on the tour, being added), but I think the odds are against it. 

9 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

Big Thief won't. 

Not sure Haim are the sort of band Simon would want.

I still don't get how Whitney think it is safe to come over to UK in September.

I think the problem is potential for 10 day home quarantine (which now seems very unlikely for travellers from the US but is a possibility).

Maybe they're simply willing to take that risk to do quarantine before a tour.

30 minutes ago, Nick07 said:

I still don't get how Whitney think it is safe to come over to UK in September.

Serious question, why wouldn't it be?

By that point, it's going to be travel between 2 countries where the vaccine rollout has long since reached the saturation point.

If going from the USA to the UK and back isn't considered safe by September, then to be blunt it probably never will be again. I reckon the logistics and economics (depressed travel market leading to potential flight cancellations, other parts of europe potentially still closed, risk that events are cancelled, etc) are going to be a far bigger blocker / concern than anything safety related.

• Upvote 1

Whitney are doing APE the week before right, as are TuneYards (add your own unique capitalisation). Reckon it's only economically justifiable if they do both festivals. If one of those events gets cancelled, it'll not be worth their time

40 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Been having a ponder. Just chucking this out there.

Caribou? 

Surely if Caribou were going to do something, it would just be headlining Green Man like they were supposed to last year? Though I guess they could go down the route of sharing headliners in the exceptional circumstances, and with both fests being sold out already.

Edited by sjseabass

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

It was superb. Absolutely knocked it out the park, stepped up and did a really good 'hits' set. They had the new album ready to go but knew it wasn't the time or place to play new stuff. Saw them the following summer at Glastonbury and it was a completely different (but equally good) show.

Completely agree, both sets superb. Just sorry I missed the early morning Park set. 

On 5/3/2021 at 1:16 PM, scattered_screens said:

The one for me that I'll be sad about missing is Big Thief, they were one of the last gigs I saw pre Lockdown and I'd love to see them come back. Plus I just knew they'd be tons of new material that they'd want to play. 

Same here. Not interested in the "nostalgia" bands like Pixies, but Big Thief were astonishingly good in Manchester last March, much better than their wobbly set at EOTR last time out.