2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

I'm actually pretty relieved the Pixies are out of there equation really. They were an earthshattering mindfuck of a band 30 years ago, but now a flabby pale imitation of their former selves.

That in itself is fine, I mean, aren't we all?, but I just bloody know I'd have gone along to see them on a misplaced wave of optimism and enthusiasm only to have my hopes dashed. This way I don't get suckered back in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I'm actually pretty relieved the Pixies are out of there equation really. They were an earthshattering mindfuck of a band 30 years ago, but now a flabby pale imitation of their former selves.

That in itself is fine, I mean, aren't we all?, but I just bloody know I'd have gone along to see them on a misplaced wave of optimism and enthusiasm only to have my hopes dashed. This way I don't get suckered back in.

understandable i guess - but im really gutted that they wont be there as a young person who hasnt had the chance to see the pixies, those first 2 albums are some of my favourites of all time and it wouldve been great just to sing along to them with my friends. I dont think concerts are all about what the bands are like now, in reality were they gonna play much of their newer stuff at all? i think they know most people coming to see them dont care about it. theyre getting on now, if anyone expects them to have the same level of energy and stage presence as they did in their 20s then obviously youre gonna be disappointed by them but eotr doesnt do many legacy acts so it wouldve been exciting to see a band who are so important to musical history

22 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I think in the vein of acts like Spiritualized and Flaming Lips and Jesus and Mary Chain headlining, they're the absolute pinnacle of legendary alt rock bands that EOTR could get. Something special about them doing this festival.

For what it's worth, fine all the times I've seen them. They know how to kick out a long hit-laden set now - I think before Kim left they just wanted to get back to separate dressing rooms ASAP.

2 minutes ago, scattered_screens said:

Just seen Caroline Polachek be announced for London in Oct, pretty sure she's London based now, potentially a good replacement for perfume genius 

Not big enough to headline the Thursday like Perfume Genius was supposed to. Can see her being added though.

Would quite like to see Tirzah booked again.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:

If anyone wants an advance on the acts leaving but not their replacements, I just went on for a glance and it seems that the departing acts are now down the page and below what you'd expect to be the lineup. Those presumably departed acts being:

Pixies, Big Thief, Bright Eyes, Perfume Genius, Aldous Harding, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, Andy Shauf, Archie Bronson Outfit, Creep Show, Julianna Barwick, Charley Crockett, Buck Meek, Monophonics, Frances Quinlan, Vagabon, Divide and Dissolve, Kate Bollinger and Apollo Ghosts.

Pretty much exactly what you'd expect really. A couple of major non-UK acts prevailing like Whitney and Tune-Yards staying (both already with UK festival dates around the time) among others but most leaving.

All back up to their previous positions now.

13 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

As if to bolster EOTR's communication skills, Green Man just tweeted they'll announce their line-up "in the next few months".

GM did still temper their tweeting with caveats about ongoing viability. 

All could be simply resolved if this government had a clue.

Big Thief have been confirmed to play 'The Govenors Ball' in NYC on 25/09/21. The glass half full part of me sees this as optimistic news for EOTR because at least they will be in 'playing live mode' around the time of EOTR and haven't simply written off playing live until next year. However is it financially viable for them to just play EOTR, I am not so sure?

Which leads me on to my next thought, has a headliner EVER played EOTR before and not played any other dates around the same time in Europe? I was wondering whether Joanna Newsom might have the one time? But I doubt it..