2020 Line-up Thread

RustySpanner

It is good of the festival to extend the balance payment date till after announcement next week, but sadly I am guessing this will be because the lineup will significantly change or numbers to be scaled back to allow it a better chance of going ahead.

Not very hopeful now after last few weeks of cancellations.

7 minutes ago, Harry49 said:

It is good of the festival to extend the balance payment date till after announcement next week, but sadly I am guessing this will be because the lineup will significantly change or numbers to be scaled back to allow it a better chance of going ahead.

The capacity is full isn’t it as it’s sold out? 

They seem fairly hopeful of it happening. 

2 hours ago, Harry49 said:

TBH if they announce and accept payment balances.... that seems to be positive indication of their intentions to push on.

15 minutes ago, bobbyperu said:

I’m baffled as to why people think yesterday’s announcement is anything other than massively encouraging?

I certainly feel a lot more positive about it now than I did this time last week.

I totally agree. Changes to the lineup are inevitable, but they are still actively trying to put this show on rather than sounding like they're hedging their bets.

A few US acts like Elijah Wolf and Skullcrusher have recently announced a few dates around EOTR, I guess it could be easier for the smaller bands and/or solo acts to negotiate the difficulties. Perhaps even a band like Big Thief may make it work as it’s their first chance to headline a festival. I’d expect Pixies to drop out.

agree on Idles and Stereolab as potential replacements as headliners. Guessing there are plenty of other UK bands who could potentially step in. Same with further down the bill, Wide Awake and the Manchester Pysch Festival both have a lot of names that I could see being added to EOTR

also have Arlo Parks and Dry Cleaning who are comfortably bigger now than their positioning on the original announcement and John Grant who could potentially do his own show as well as with Creep Show 

don’t think there will be any shortage of acts available to fill the gaps.

Apart from Nadia Reid (and presumably now RBCF) which others have either pulled out or rearranged their tours that EOTR were part of?

I could imagine Fontaines coming back, perhaps to subheadline The Woods? Playing Victorious the weekend before.

Most of the acts I was excited about are UK-based, so I'm hopeful it will still be a great show - frankly I barely care exactly who's playing just so long as they can make it happen, as all the other camping festivals I had tickets for have been cancelled! Any overseas acts they can retain will be a bonus - I think tune-yards might be one, given she was announced for APE after everything started looking sketchy for this summer?

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

Pixies were a big name.

Is it realistic to think they might get Gorillaz to replace them?

(I worry a little the incentive isn't there to get equivalent names with all the tickets sold and a weaker bank balance)

Not in the slightest. If they need a new biggest name they'd be thinking more along the lines of Mogwai-size, or maybe try and find an appropriate older/legacy act (The Waterboys are playing Moseley Folk that weekend). Idles don't seem to like headlining festivals and they're playing a 10,000-capacity outdoor show in Bristol on the Friday so wouldn't want to dilute that.

I don't think Simon would want to let people down too much with the replacement choices, obviously he'll know people just want to party in a festival field but also has the name of EOTR to uphold. I wouldn't be surprised if next week's announcement comes with reassurance that everyone who has to pull out has been asked back for 2022 (wonder if that would include Angel Olsen)

Another indie/heritage act who appear to be free that weekend... Primal Scream. I'd welcome that, though I agree that EOTR is much more likely to give someone like Fontaines their first big headline slot - also no bad thing. Isn't it nice to be back to guessing about bands!

Edited by paulwa

10 hours ago, benali said:

Idles are doing an afternoon show at Wide Awake which opens up the possibility of a festival headline set the same day. 

They're playing a headline set in Bristol the same day. Could play End of the Road the next day however.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, dentalplan said:

Anyone realistic that wouldn't be? They're one of the biggest bands the festival has ever booked.

Yes and they wouldn't have come cheap.

Supergrass, Gorillaz or Foals would be an equivalent replacement in my book from touring acts.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

Yes and they wouldn't have come cheap.

Supergrass, Gorillaz or Foals would be an equivalent replacement in my book from touring acts.

Woah. I dunno if I'm being closeminded here but I wouldn't consider any of those to suit this festival. The last two would be a big step up in size as well. Would be gobsmacked if any of those headlined.

I think your expectations ought to be lowered ahead of the announcement, given how much End of the Road lives on overseas indie rock and folk. I can't imagine the upcoming news being anything but a step down but it's just how much of one.

24 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There's absolutely no way Gorillaz and their full production are going to be affordable for EOTR - they and Foals, who I don't think really fit the EOTR genre policy any more, are headlining Boardmasters which is more than three times the capacity. Last time Pixies were in the UK over the summer they headlined Bluedot which is the same size as EOTR. Supergrass are headlining one of the Crystal Palace Bowl gigs in August that also seem to be 15,000 capacity (as, FWIW, are Sleaford Mods), but again it's not a Britpop revivalist stopoff.

Edited by SweepingTheNation