Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat.

Crazyfool01

Extreme Mud or Extreme Heat. ? definitive poll :)   

290 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worst ? Extreme Mud ? or Extreme heat ?....... ok these things are all relative :)

• Extreme Mud
    • Extreme Heat

Can we not have something in between or just a little less than extreme heat? 2017 was nearly perfect weather.

2016 can fuck right off, it was a tough year, it put off a few of our hardened festival group and they had been to Glasto for years. 

Boots certainly help to get around but not being able to sit down anywhere that you want is an issue for me, theres something so great about being able to just sit down anywhere or even lie down. 2016 having to carry a mat/bin bag or a chair (i know) around just to relax wasn't fun. 

2019 was tough but I was prepared, plus I was up early enough due to work that I didn't get woken up by the horrendous morning tent heat, that was just an issue getting changed after work or getting supplies for the day. How anyone can stay in their tent is beyond me as it's like a sauna. 

I wasn't there in 2019 so can't comment on the extreme heat but I am not someone who does well in heat for extended periods, so I can imagine I would have struggled.

Still, I had to say extreme mud is worse for me. It was a killer in 2016 not being able to sit down anywhere - although there is a photo I'm very fond of of my gang all collapsed on a tiny patch of grass we found near West Holts, although that was only on the Thursday so was surely gone by the end of the day. I really didn't enjoy the sensation of being "stuck" in the mud in the middle of big crowds, I very nearly had a panic attack after Adele as everyone was leaving the Pyramid field because it was just taking so long, and the thought of falling over and .. ugh. I had to just position myself behind one of those cement blocks and wait for the crowd to pass by.

The only saving grace of 2016 was that the rain wasn't too bad. If it had been awfully cold and more persistently wet and muddy, that would have been absolute balls.

• Upvote 1

The biggest thing with mud for me is the effect on mood.  You can still slog through and dance and watch bands and have a blast and all the rest of it. But there's a huge difference in how you face the day when you step out of your tent to blue skies compared to stepping out into the rain.

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

The biggest thing with mud for me is the effect on mood.  You can still slog through and dance and watch bands and have a blast and all the rest of it. But there's a huge difference in how you face the day when you step out of your tent to blue skies compared to stepping out into the rain.

Leaving my tent did feel like this a few times in '19

giphy.gif

but still much more preferable to be greeted by mud.

Edited by Kinkyinuit
can't link for toffee
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

There was a point mid-morning on Saturday this year after being summoned by the searing heat in my tent and taking to laying in about 8 inches of shade by the side of my tent that I genuinely thought i was going to evaporate 

I get the mud causes serious difficulties getting about for some people and those with kids etc, but for me it's just about getting on with it. I was utterly redundant at points this year, it was horrid 

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah you are right.

My mood is much better when it's cooler, muddy or not..

Mud every time. You can do stuff about heat, it's not pleasant but stay hydrated, see acts in tents, bring a portable fan, literally just pour water over yourself. The mud is just all encompassing, it gets everywhere and it just gets worse the longer the day goes on, if it's raining as well then it verges on the point of not enjoyable for me. 

17 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Mud every time. You can do stuff about heat, it's not pleasant but stay hydrated, see acts in tents, bring a portable fan, literally just pour water over yourself. The mud is just all encompassing, it gets everywhere and it just gets worse the longer the day goes on, if it's raining as well then it verges on the point of not enjoyable for me. 

The mud in 2016 actually got worse as it began to dry out. It went from being swampy to thick glue which just grabbed you and swallowed wellies. Just along from the cider bus was really bad. But who cares, mud or heat Glasto is the greatest! 

24 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

I cannot cool down I am are too hot. Tents are hotter than being outside, but you are not burning. It felt like a struggle breathing this year.

Mud means its a bit more difficult to walk.

The heat is all encompassing. There are areas less muddy than others. There are areas to get out of the mud, even if that's sitting by your tent for a while. You can't even do that in the heat.

14 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

I remember seeing someone wearing trousers and thinking he must be the devil. Absolutely insane.

Haha, that might of been me. I went on shift at 6am and it was cold then. Then headed out and about for food and a nosey after my shift finished at 2pm when it was considerably warmer. ?

2 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

giphy.gif

It's quite a high bar on here, but this is the best execution of a gif I've seen for a while. Well done. 

I can't stop watching/laughing at it and I'm getting some weird looks! You probably had to be there though...

• Upvote 1

I really don't have an issue with the mud, perhaps this is because my first year was 1998 and it was exceptionally wet and muddy (worse than 2016) so i've been used to it from the start so just get on with it and have a great time. Muddy years also have a certain camaraderie, that I like,  which isn't there when it's a hot sunny one.

2 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

giphy.gif

Brilliant!

I'm genuinely surprised how many people on here struggled with and/or hated the heat this year.   One of my group struggles with it but generally I thought it would be great weather for most people!

If you were one of those that hate it, can I ask, do you go on holiday to hot places?  Aside from tent conditions, is it just the fact that you're drinking and hanging off do you think?

I prefer the heat any day. I am not great with heat at all, Although 2019 I had no issues at all oddly and Saturday did not really notice it or stop me doing anything.

As has been said you can sit where ever where as the mud it is struggle to be on the feet most of the time.

The one thing with mud is what makes that mud. Rain. I wear specs so that id never good but watching a band in the driving rain just is not fun. Remember the lighting seed and foos many years ago and not being able to see the band as needed to turn away from the stinging needles of rain being driven into my face

Edited by fred quimby

12 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

I Muddy years also have a certain camaraderie, that I like,  which isn't there when it's a hot sunny one.

See I think it is with the heat as well -  the sun cream/water/helping others out.

Sunny years are more colourful as well, as not everyone is in a blue or black rain gear and many more smiles (the latter is probably due to having to look down more in muddy years, which means I miss more of what is going on around me)

Edited by fred quimby

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

I prefer the heat any day. I am not great with heat at all, Although 2019 I had no issues at all oddly and Saturday did not really notice it or stop me doing anything.

As has been said you can sit where ever where as the mud it is struggle to be on the feet most of the time.

The one thing with mud is what makes that mud. Rain. I wear specs so that id never good but watching a band in the driving rain just is not fun. Remember the lighting seed and foos many years ago and not being able to see the band as needed to turn away from the stinging needles of rain being driven into my face

Mud I don't mind during the festival, but rain can do one. 2016 was muddy but it barely rained, which was fine. Rain during the festival is just way too depressing.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Mud I don't mind during the festival, but rain can do one. 2016 was muddy but it barely rained, which was fine. Rain during the festival is just way too depressing.

Didn’t we get small amounts of rain that kept it from drying out properly ? And kept it at the gluey consistency ? Far worse than liquid mud in my opinion forgive me if I’m getting my years mixed up :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Didn’t we get small amounts of rain that kept it from drying out properly ? And kept it at the gluey consistency ? Far worse than liquid mud in my opinion forgive me if I’m getting my years mixed up :) 

I only remember 1 bout of rain, about 3am Saturday morning while I was dancing away at Genosys. Could have rained while i was tucked up asleep without me noticing though.