Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

5 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Top Boy on Netflix raised her profile a ton but I think she needs some more party / danceable tunes to really break through the big time.

More stuff like Point and Kill on her latest album, for example.

Would you say Kendrick has a lot of party/dance tunes ? I wouldn’t and he nailed it. 

Grey area has some bangers on it imo, introvert is a much more polished, grander sound, its the type of album a true artist should be making. Im talking about her headlining in 2 albums time so if she breaks through with something commercial on the next one and builds from there who knows, she could def cater to the die hards and casuals by then

7 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Top Boy on Netflix raised her profile a ton but I think she needs some more party / danceable tunes to really break through the big time.

More stuff like Point and Kill on her latest album, for example.

Fair assessment. Will have to give her stuff a bit of a whirl. The West Holts set looked to go down a treat.

2 minutes ago, swede said:

Would you say Kendrick has a lot of party/dance tunes ? I wouldn’t and he nailed it. 

Swimming Pools, Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe, Money Trees and (to a lesser extent) Backseat Freestyle are absolutely party tunes.

All hit in 2012 and all were the reason he absolutely exploded that year, in my humble opinion.

Just now, Isaact said:

Swimming Pools, Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe, Money Trees and (to a lesser extent) Backseat Freestyle are absolutely party tunes.

All hit in 2012 and all were the reason he absolutely exploded that year, in my humble opinion.

The initial run with all of those back to back was something unreal. The crowd was exploding.

What a great set this was. Second best of the weekend behind Macca. The crowd was well into it and a fantastic selection of songs. Most of my pint of Carlsberg (which is terrible anyway) went all over the place at the intro to Maad City. I had a great view, just to the left next to the screen. I was hoping to get closer like I did for Macca but did not get there for Lorde ending like I hoped to.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Has Glasgow sold well? Still huge swathes of seats - and a bit of standing - left for Leeds if they fancy a trip down to Yorkshire for the Thursday night.

There are seats available in the gods but standing is sold out and they want to join those of us already down in that bit.

16 hours ago, Little Andy said:

I didn't realise it had ended! He played a song, then a woman in the crowd had a bit of an emotional moment with me, saying how proud she was that Kendrick was standing up for women's right, etc, and suddenly the next thing I noticed, the lights were on and the show was over! I couldn't believe it! I'm gonna have to watch it on tv to see what I missed, but it must have been quick! 😅

Cracking show though.

I've just watched it back on BBC ... no wonder I didn't realised it ended, he literally just walks off! 😅

8 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Ney. Stick to whatever it is you’re good at mate. 

The Quietus review refers to the absence of a live band. I don't think it's credible to suggest - for example - the track for "i" was being performed by a band behind a screen. Live percussion was perhaps occurring. 

35 minutes ago, Johndenis said:

The Quietus review refers to the absence of a live band. I don't think it's credible to suggest - for example - the track for "i" was being performed by a band behind a screen. Live percussion was perhaps occurring. 

What’s the difference? There were clearly musicians there playing their instruments. 

I knew kendrick would do his bit but the setlist and the crowd are what elevates this gig into classic status I reckon.

It was loud in the pit where I was (which was to be expected) but I wasn't expecting it to sound as wild as it does watching it back on TV. The crowd feedback during the early Maad City-Money Trees-Backseat Freestyle run is absolutely insane. 

As the years go by and Kendrick's rise inevitably continues I think this will be one that a lot of people regret not attending. 

Edited by ConorC

3 minutes ago, ConorC said:

I knew kendrick would do his bit but the setlist and the crowd are what elevates this gig into classic status I reckon.

It was loud in the pit where I was (which was to be expected) but I wasn't expecting it to sound as wild as it does watching it back on TV. The crowd feedback during the early Maad City-Money Trees-Backseat Freestyle run is absolutely insane. 

Yeah, mad. And what about N95? It's even fucking loud in the BBC. The set is just Glastonbury history. The moment when he stands couple of minutes in silence in front of the crowd and all the field chants "Oh Kendrick Lamar" is also iconic. 

I was a bit on the back and the crowd was also bouncing over there. And not just the "youngest" as many would expect. 

Edited by AlexOvd

20 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Cheers for the heads up. Available in quite a few places in the UK now, expected end of September. 

I presume there wasn't any merch available on the Sunday but didn't have time to check. Can anyone confirm? 

21 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Yeah, mad. And what about N95? It's even fucking loud in the BBC. The set is just Glastonbury history. The moment when he stands couple of minutes in silence in front of the crowd and all the field chants "Oh Kendrick Lamar" is also iconic. 

I was a bit on the back and the crowd was also bouncing over there. And not just the "youngest" as many would expect. 

He definitely doesn't carry the chart success of Jay Z or Kanye so i was expecting a largely chinstrokey type reception, with the odd sprinkling of hype for Maad City/Humble/Alright etc. What we got was a fanatic crowd befitting of one of his own shows, unreal. 

By the time we got to the end of the GKMC run and N95 hit it was already game over - the field were under the spell and in there for the course. 

Fucking hell what a night. 

6 minutes ago, Bomei said:

How often does kendrick perform "i" live? I feel like that was a really special and rare moment to be a part of, when he brought that one out!

Saw him a couple of times on the last tour and he wasn't playing it then. All he mainly played from TPAB on the last tour was King Kunta and Alright I think. 

(just checked and he'd only played it 3 times in about 6 years prior to last week) 

Blacker The Berry was the one for me. Never seen him play it in 4 previous gigs and he's only played it an handful of times ever. What a time to do it, and to do it so seemlessly. 

10 minutes ago, Bomei said:

How often does kendrick perform "i" live? I feel like that was a really special and rare moment to be a part of, when he brought that one out!

According to setlist.fm - hardly at all, at least in recent years. I'd seen it was in his Milan setlist from a few days before so was hoping for it but was still super psyched when it started. I was next to the disability access area barrier and just turned around to see my friend in there and she was pointing at me as I was bouncing around with glee.

I was the only person seemingly around me who knew the lyrics to it but damn I had a good time.