stuartbert two hats

Hopkins or Chemicals?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Hopkins or Chemicals?

• Save them all for the Chemical Brotherss
    • Use them all at Jon Hopkins
    • Half and half
    • Other

I have purchased 50 mini glowsticks and 60 pairs of rainbow shades for deployment at electronica gigs.  My original plan was to get my arse on the mixing desk and distribute them all during the Chemical Brothers, but unless there is a change in the schedule, I'm going to be turning up to the Other Stage 15 minutes after they start, so won't be quite as in the thick of it.

So, enter plan B - Jon Hopkins. Although I don't expect his show to be as visually spectacular, it should still be fairly psychedelic and Clashfinder tells me I'll be able to get a good spot.

So what should I do? Save them all for the Chems, despite not being in the thick of it, blow the lot on Friday, or split my stash of crowd giveaways between them?

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I’ve got a load of glow sticks and bands you can make bunny ears or glasses out of. I put some on and if anyone comes up to me and says they love em, I hand them over. Rinse and repeat. It’s great seeing people’s reactions!

C91B7744-D1E5-4789-887D-3920F093E114.jpeg

I don't particularly want to be this person but it looks like I'm going to be 

This is a fun thing to give out and I completely get it

But, that's a lot of plastic that's just going to end up in a bin/landfill a few days later 

I'm not tying to be judgy or preachy, I've wasted my fair share of plastic but given the festival is trying hard to get people to reduce disposable plastic use this seems counter to the mission 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I have sixty foam LED wands similar to the picture below but don't know whether to bring them or not with the plastic free focus this year. I've had them a while, they weren't bought specifically for Glastonbury.

led_foam_sticks_multi-color_gp1.jpg

Surely the damage is the same whether you bring them to Glastonbury or take them somewhere else though. 

46 minutes ago, sloseph said:

I'm with you, and this isn't finger pointing at any person because we all generate a tonne of single-use plastic waste, just by living.  I'd definitely point the finger at glowing plastic festival accessories though, just for what they symbolise.  They are arguably not even single-use - at least a plastic coke bottle holds foodstuff at some point in its life.  And they're guaranteed to end up on the floor, or in the ground if its muddy.

Some of the coolest things at Glastonbury have been creative ways to do stuff without adding any new single-use plastic to the world - elephants made out of old plastic milk cartons etc.  It would be cool if we punters could try and match that sort of thing.

Edited by Mark E. Spliff
  • Like 2

Just now, gherkin8r said:

Surely the damage is the same whether you bring them to Glastonbury or take them somewhere else though. 

Yeah, that is a point I think I started alluding too but got distracted. Ultimately, no matter what I was to do with them their destination will be landfill (or permanent storage till the end of time). I guess that is the attitude that we as society need to address over time, I've been as guilty as everyone with single use plastics. 

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

Yeah, that is a point I think I started alluding too but got distracted. Ultimately, no matter what I was to do with them their destination will be landfill (or permanent storage till the end of time). I guess that is the attitude that we as society need to address over time, I've been as guilty as everyone with single use plastics. 

Same. Our house is full of plastic toys that will be dumped before long. Only recently have we been properly conscious of the issues with plastics. 

32 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Yeah it's exactly the same, there is very much an argument for fact it's too late by the time it's been made 

But I'd counter with the argument that if you bring it and dish it out, other people will think its a good idea and maybe do it themselves next festival, creating more demand and more plastic 

26 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it was a little tongue in cheek ... as im quite brightly lit already :) 

? I was thinking you would say ' I'm by the sound stage. I'll be holding glowsticks'. Your friend turns up... Everyone's holding glowsticks!!

7 minutes ago, elbongo said:

? I was thinking you would say ' I'm by the sound stage. I'll be holding glowsticks'. Your friend turns up... Everyone's holding glowsticks!!

:) .... we cant move away from our traditional im by the ostrich burger sign for initial meet up .... we have meeting places for most main stages now 

2 hours ago, sloseph said:

This is a fun thing to give out and I completely get it

But, that's a lot of plastic that's just going to end up in a bin/landfill a few days later 

I'm not tying to be judgy or preachy, I've wasted my fair share of plastic but given the festival is trying hard to get people to reduce disposable plastic use this seems counter to the mission 

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I'm with you, and this isn't finger pointing at any person because we all generate a tonne of single-use plastic waste, just by living.  I'd definitely point the finger at glowing plastic festival accessories though, just for what they symbolise.  They are arguably not even single-use - at least a plastic coke bottle holds foodstuff at some point in its life.  And they're guaranteed to end up on the floor, or in the ground if its muddy.

Some of the coolest things at Glastonbury have been creative ways to do stuff without adding any new single-use plastic to the world - elephants made out of old plastic milk cartons etc.  It would be cool if we punters could try and match that sort of thing.

I guess these sadly answer my question - 

2 hours ago, WStoner said:

Holy shit. Are they biodegradable or compostable? Never been able to find environmentally friendly glow sticks :(

With glow sticks it's not just the plastic, it's the chemicals inside them as well.  And if they don't leak out into the environment at Glasto, they will somewhere else - like landfill.

It's a similar thing with glitter.  It might seem buzz-killing to say it but it's terrible for the environment.  Unless you're using biodegradable or compostable glitter, it's essentially just thousands upon thousands of microplastics just finding their way into the water table.  Obviously there are less harmful alternatives but people typically prefer convenience over environmental responsibility.  

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have purchased 50 mini glowsticks and 60 pairs of rainbow shades for deployment at electronica gigs.  My original plan was to get my arse on the mixing desk and distribute them all during the Chemical Brothers, but unless there is a change in the schedule, I'm going to be turning up to the Other Stage 15 minutes after they start, so won't be quite as in the thick of it.

So, enter plan B - Jon Hopkins. Although I don't expect his show to be as visually spectacular, it should still be fairly psychedelic and Clashfinder tells me I'll be able to get a good spot.

So what should I do? Save them all for the Chems, despite not being in the thick of it, blow the lot on Friday, or split my stash of crowd giveaways between them?

Why doesn't my Clashfinder have this feature?