Game of Thrones

Rufus Gwertigan

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Episode was another mess.

The whole season has been a train wreck.

It’s so obvious the writers wanted to move on and they’re just bundling to the end, HBO would have given them a blank cheque to drag it out. I could generally over look a lot of the shite but how they adapted Euron from the books is laughable.

42 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

The whole season has been a train wreck.

It’s so obvious the writers wanted to move on and they’re just bundling to the end, HBO would have given them a blank cheque to drag it out. I could generally over look a lot of the shite but how they adapted Euron from the books is laughable.

Fully agree. Theyre making a worse mess of this than the showrunners on Lost. Last night's episode absolute garbage.

I'm not a reader of the books so can't judge by that, I disliked ep 3 for many of many many reasons stated here. BUT I thought ep 5 was bloody amazing. It didnt disappoint me. I thought the tension building was just superbly done. Obviously they can only do so much, when you read books, adaptation can only do so much. I feel the same with TWD they absolutely butchered that. I guess you guys feel the same. But TV watcher only I really enjoyed it. 

• Upvote 1

I'm lost for words.. I thought it was going to be bad but not that bad. You've been able to tell the writers wanted to turn her bad for a while (with minimal character development) but I would of expected it to be be a little more subtle. Maybe innocent people dying but justifying it as a means to an end with the battle on going? She's turned worse than her father in what seems to be a few days.

She may as well of grown a little moustache between the last two episodes and at the end got off her dragon and frog marched down the street. Its writing purely for the ending they want without caring how they get there.

Episode was visually very impressive but plot wise it was an absolute shit show. I enjoyed watching all of the city exploding and great scenery but they’ve absolutely fumbled so many character arcs and regardless of how they now end the show, they’ve not earned the right to get there and it will feel very unsatisfying. 

Cleganebowl (and Qyburn’s preceding death) was pretty sick though, right? 

I get that the whole thing could have come across as being a bit rushed, but I took it more that Daenerys has been ‘mad’ all along (just like her dad) and she has just been suppressing it for so long and snapped.

She finally had the opportunity to seize the power she’s always craved, and took advantage. She didn't do it the civil way as she knew Jon would get to the throne ahead of her anyway - especially now the truth of him being the true heir was out. She had lost the trust of her advisers/hands along with 2 of her 3 dragons so thought she’d take everything down with her. 

What don't people get here? She lost everything, everyone close to her and Jon basically rejected her love. She felt lost abandoned and betrayed, then when she saw the red keep and was just looking at it and her family history, that was theirs and that hosts her enemy that she is there for to fight for Jon, the very person who has now rejected her love, she snapped. She said back earlier in the episode when she knew he wouldn't be beside her side as her love, fear it is, she was always thinking it was going to come to this, she knew if she didn't do it this way she would lose the power to Jon, this way she was trying to keep it and make people fear choosing him over her. 

I thought it was well done. You knew there's 6 episodes, they only have so much time, what are you looking for? The final episode they're together holding hands skipping, whilst a rainbow shoots out a dragons arse? 

Is this a complaint of this season only or long term disappointment? How would you guys want it better done? Write the whole season so far, what would you have changed? Its all well moaning but I haven't seen one person and that's across other platforms say how they would do things different. Its 6 episodes. They had a lot to do and its been 2 years in the making, its a lot of hype I know. Sometimes expectations are too high. I'm happy with what we've gotten.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

I thought it was a really good episode. It had me gripped the whole time. 

This season has really exposed further a nasty aspect of wider society in general to me in that people seem as if they either need to be as overwhelming positive  as they can be about something or as scathingly negative as they can be about something so that they get the best reaction. Not enough opinions online are ‘Yeah, that was alright.’ or ‘Yeah, that wasn’t great but I still really enjoyed it’. It’s either ‘THAT WAS THE BEST THING EVER EVER’ or ‘THAT WAS A DISGRACE’. 

Edited by Andre91

I wish they’d spent more time on Varys. He has been such a key part of the whole thing and his death was rushed. I didn’t buy Jon just letting it happen either. 

I did enjoy the dawning realisation for many of them that they’d backed the wrong horse. And the random appearance of the arsey detective from Line of Duty!

Thought is was far superior to the battle of the bastards, and a really good episode overall. Danny has been brutal all along but was moral until she got to westeros and has been unravelling over the last two seasons.

I do wish the series had been a full 10 episodes, so many stories which could have fleshed it out fully, without the mega cgi budget. This pacing is much less patient than in the books but that's on GRRM for not writing any for the last 8 years imo.

Jesus christ, some of you are a miserable lot. 

Excellent episode imo. In typical GOT style it made you think "who really is the 'good guys' ". Intrigued to see what they do next. I'm sure it will be what I don't expect, which is exactly what makes this show so great.

• Upvote 1

I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Dany turning has been on the cards for a long while - remember how she nailed the slavers, torched the dothraki, burned Sam's dad and brother.  All were individually justified at the time, but all overkill...it was just building, then as the paranoia set in....boom!  Luckysalt summed it up nicely.

Some nice touches too - Jaime and Tyrion's conversation was great and Jaime and Cersei final moments felt fitting.  The scenes with Arya - loved it - "And I looked, and behold, a pale horse! And its rider’s name was Death"

Will make for an interesting last episode; does Jon have what it takes to turn on Dany?  Will we see any of the Winterfell people again, as not sure what else they can add to the narrative. 

14 hours ago, luckysalt said:

Is this a complaint of this season only or long term disappointment? How would you guys want it better done? Write the whole season so far, what would you have changed? Its all well moaning but I haven't seen one person and that's across other platforms say how they would do things different. 

Personally I'd say something like Breaking Bad is the correct way  to show someone descending this way.. Its not instantaneous more little by little chipping away. 

As I said I was expecting say Cersei to fill the red keep with innocent women and children as a human shield and as the battle proceeded Dany having to make more and more compromised decisions to get at Cersei moving away from the women who freed the slaves or ended up having her husband and child killed to stop a witch being raped. It just seemed bizarre that the switch wasn't forced by stress or a difficult battle, she completely ignored the red keep with Cersei at the window and flew around for about 20 minutes committing genocide first. Anything before that didn't really point to this reaction of attacking the defenceless too. She spared Tyrion so was still thinking tactically then so is it all down to John not being up for a bit of incest?

Apart from that major characters who have been great at playing "the game of thrones" seem to have lost a huge amount of IQ points recently. Varys who was apparently the master and has survived and served many leaders makes a school boy error and Cersei doesn't even seem to have an escape plan when her unborn child is apparently the most important thing. Can't of been too difficult to get one as Jamie gets in easily enough. Also why is she so upset to see he's injured when she sent Bron to kill him?

Finally could just be me but stuff like how many troops she has or how powerful a dragon is seems to vary from episode to episode.

1 hour ago, lost said:

Personally I'd say something like Breaking Bad is the correct way  to show someone descending this way.. Its not instantaneous more little by little chipping away. 

As I said I was expecting say Cersei to fill the red keep with innocent women and children as a human shield and as the battle proceeded Dany having to make more and more compromised decisions to get at Cersei moving away from the women who freed the slaves or ended up having her husband and child killed to stop a witch being raped. It just seemed bizarre that the switch wasn't forced by stress or a difficult battle, she completely ignored the red keep with Cersei at the window and flew around for about 20 minutes committing genocide first. Anything before that didn't really point to this reaction of attacking the defenceless too. She spared Tyrion so was still thinking tactically then so is it all down to John not being up for a bit of incest?

Apart from that major characters who have been great at playing "the game of thrones" seem to have lost a huge amount of IQ points recently. Varys who was apparently the master and has survived and served many leaders makes a school boy error and Cersei doesn't even seem to have an escape plan when her unborn child is apparently the most important thing. Can't of been too difficult to get one as Jamie gets in easily enough. Also why is she so upset to see he's injured when she sent Bron to kill him?

Finally could just be me but stuff like how many troops she has or how powerful a dragon is seems to vary from episode to episode.

Few points. And not to obviously detracting from what you posted

But

I thought Danny being mad was signposted ages ago and just needed something to snap. Not a gradual slide but there all the time waiting to be released and the fact she had lost nearly everything triggered that. Love she (probably) destroyed the iron throne after wanting it for so long.

I see that you say you expected certain things. That can always lead you down a certain path of if that does not happen it is not correct. I thought Cersei do bring people in the red keep. Also

We saw Cersei in the tower as we were close. Danny and the Dragon were far away and they do not have spec savers in westeros. Oh and she is mad.

Gotta say though. Thought the Mountain, when his helmet came off,was going to say  I am not your brother but your father luke

Edited by fred quimby

24 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

We saw Cersei in the tower as we were close. Danny and the Dragon were far away and they do not have spec savers in westeros. Oh and she is mad.

Well yes thats another thing. The writers understanding of mental illness seems to be that of a 4 year old. When you lose it in that way you don't become retarded your probably capable of reasoning where the most likely place for Cersai to be is and I said its probably more likely to manifest as a sudden sharp lashing out triggered by something rather than continuous killing of women and kids.

I'm quite happy to admit something can be good as a stand alone thing (the cinematography was amazing) Michael Bay does well with minimal character development leading to amazing fight or battle sequences the issue is how its almost changed into a different type of story.

Edited by lost

39 minutes ago, lost said:

Well yes thats another thing. The writers understanding of mental illness seems to be that of a 4 year old. When you lose it in that way you don't become retarded your probably capable of reasoning where the most likely place for Cersai to be is and I said its probably more likely to manifest as a sudden sharp lashing out triggered by something rather than continuous killing of women and kids.

I'm quite happy to admit something can be good as a stand alone thing (the cinematography was amazing) Michael Bay does well with minimal character development leading to amazing fight or battle sequences the issue is how its almost changed into a different type of story.

When you criticise someone for not understanding mental illness and then use the word 'retarded' as an insult in the next sentence, your point loses all credibility. 

Edited by CRW5252

6 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

When you criticise someone for not understanding mental illness and then use the word 'retarded' as an insult in the next sentence, your point loses all credibility. 

Well I used retarded as its from the same period as "mad" neither is pc now.

And I don't really see why it detracts form the point. People seemed to have alot invested in the characters around the red wedding or Baelor episodes. They don't seem to have the same investment now. Whats changed? 

Edited by lost