Game of Thrones

Rufus Gwertigan

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I enjoyed it, although I actually found it quite irritating that by the end nearly all of the principle cast were still standing.

This is irritating me too and think it’s because GOT was always the show where any character could be killed at any moment. It’s reverted to the same thing as every other program where stronger extras get wiped out seconds whilst major characters spent 45 minutes escaping from inescapable positions 4 or 5 times.

1 hour ago, lost said:

This is irritating me too and think it’s because GOT was always the show where any character could be killed at any moment. It’s reverted to the same thing as every other program where stronger extras get wiped out seconds whilst major characters spent 45 minutes escaping from inescapable positions 4 or 5 times.

Has that ever actually happened though? Major characters have been killed by major characters for good reasons.

no major character has just died at random because a zombie out of nowhere killed one.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Has that ever actually happened though? Major characters have been killed by major characters for good reasons.

no major character has just died at random because a zombie out of nowhere killed one.

It wouldn't be out of nowhere. It's a literal apocalypse going on. There should've have been more deaths 

I enjoyed it, but.......

As pointed out last week, what the hell was the point in the NK waiting to build an army if he could simply raise all the dead regardless how and when they died? He could have destroyed Westeros and no one would have known he was coming or a threat...just mosy on down, raise all the dead, job done...

I would have liked to have seen some White Walker combat action. What was the point in them? They did nothing and did a really shit job as acting as a bodyguard if that’s what they were doing...

I would have liked to see the NK get into some hand to hand. Had thought he would have had some bad ass moves.... Felt we did not see him at his full potential. 

I also felt he did not look as menacing as he did in earlier episodes. Shite lighting/makeup??

Felt the dragons were under used battle field wise... 

Loved the lighting of the swords, but the whole Dorthraki army destroyed in seconds??? Come on!! 

What was the point in having Ghost in the episode? And is Ghost assumed dead? 

They really could have and should have killed off some bigger characters. 

Way too many impossible escapes from death for many.

It was really feckin dark and hard to see what was happening at times

Why did the Red Woman feel the need to die? 

What the hell was Bran up to wargging into the ravens? Am I missing the point in that? 

Why didnt Bran tell Theon not to bother? He knew it was suicide and he knew Arya was going to kick some ass in a minute anyway.

What was the point in it all if Bran knew what was going to happen? (Or so it seems)

But as I said... I enjoyed it. Arya rocks! 

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I enjoyed it, although I actually found it quite irritating that by the end nearly all of the principle cast were still standing.

Also, what the hell was Brann doing for the whole thing? An eight season boring arc that was all leading to this moment... and he just sat there. At least Arya sweeping a floor for a year had a purpose.

he got thrown out of a window in the first series.  never used his legs since.

11 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I enjoyed it, but.......

As pointed out last week, what the hell was the point in the NK waiting to build an army if he could simply raise all the dead regardless how and when they died? He could have destroyed Westeros and no one would have known he was coming or a threat...just mosy on down, raise all the dead, job done...

I always assumed he would need to be near them and the ones 6 feet underground would not be able to get up through the soil.

Never ever worked out that that in an early episode they turn a baby into, I assume, a white walker. That never came to anything and wondered if he would do the same with Brann. But hey.

As for killing more main characters off I reckon they thought that was too easy, plus you have to have that pause and linger for each one so it has impact. Not sure they could do that too many times. (I had the same in LoTr, when I said well they should all be dead now)  Was hoping the young girl as a white would kill someone though

4 hours ago, fred quimby said:

I always assumed he would need to be near them and the ones 6 feet underground would not be able to get up through the soil.

Never ever worked out that that in an early episode they turn a baby into, I assume, a white walker. That never came to anything and wondered if he would do the same with Brann. But hey.

As for killing more main characters off I reckon they thought that was too easy, plus you have to have that pause and linger for each one so it has impact. Not sure they could do that too many times. (I had the same in LoTr, when I said well they should all be dead now)  Was hoping the young girl as a white would kill someone though

I think it's not really about killing so many characters it's more about how they done it. There were like 20 scenes where the main cast is under so much pressure then in the next scene they're fighting like 3 wights. After several of those scenes nobody really cares anymore 

On rottentomatoes it's 75% which is the second lowest for any episode besides that terrible sand snakes one. Usually episodes are 90%+

Edited by Nicklord

21 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

On rottentomatoes it's 75% which is the second lowest for any episode besides that terrible sand snakes one. Usually episodes are 90%+

Sometimes things are so hyped that they will never live up to expectation.

I take all the points though as I have said the same.

Loved it though :)

4 hours ago, Nicklord said:

It was going to come to ahead sooner or later since the series ran out of books. It reminds me alot of the backlash against the new star wars film. People don't seem to like new writers coming along and messing about with the "original rules" of a fantasy universe that has been created. 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Now that was a smashing episode!

The ending was great, renews the audience's hatred for Cersei just before the battle. 

The added tension between Dani and her allies has been built very well. Can't wait to see how that plays out.

4 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I thought it was a hotmess mate.

Yep likewise. Writing is getting more and more all over the place as they flounder to get to a conclusion in so little time. Plot holes and nonsensical plot devices left right and center. Also Euron is a shite character and I hate that he’s become a central villain. Got a feeling we’re in for a pretty underwhelming final two episodes littered with a few crowd pleasing moments. 

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep likewise. Writing is getting more and more all over the place as they flounder to get to a conclusion in so little time. Plot holes and nonsensical plot devices left right and center. Also Euron is a shite character and I hate that he’s become a central villain. Got a feeling we’re in for a pretty underwhelming final two episodes littered with a few crowd pleasing moments. 

I think they’re gonna fuck up the landing now mate. Clearly setting Dany up in a certain way.

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

I enjoyed the episode but I don't get why they've only done 6 episodes this season, plenty of stuff that could've filled up more episodes without rushing. 

Word on the grapevine they can’t afford the actors. All the main cast are demanding £1million for an episode. Coupled with production cost it was too expensive to do 10 seasons.

I’m sure that on the outside just make more because you will make more sounds like a sensible answer. George even told them that they had 10 seasons worth of material. But then I’m glad game of thrones is ending at its peak. I don’t really know how they could of squeezed an extra two seasons out of the material they had without it seriously dragging out.

Edited by Matt42

48 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Word on the grapevine they can’t afford the actors. All the main cast are demanding £1million for an episode. Coupled with production cost it was too expensive to do 10 seasons.

I’m sure that on the outside just make more because you will make more sounds like a sensible answer. George even told them that they had 10 seasons worth of material. But then I’m glad game of thrones is ending at its peak. I don’t really know how they could of squeezed an extra two seasons out of the material they had without it seriously dragging out.

Makes sense the budget is the limiting factor. But even just a few more episodes to round this season out would've made a big impact on the pacing. 

Edited by Dan R

1 hour ago, Dan R said:

Makes sense the budget is the limiting factor. But even just a few more episodes to round this season out would've made a big impact on the pacing. 

I think because George obviously scripted in two gigantic battles at the end, the budget is incredibly pushed.