2020 headliners

jj200

9 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

The Coldplay rumors are pretty disheartening, surely people have wised up to their dreary music and Chris Martin's psychotically humble act by now?

There are no rumours for Glastonbury. There are rumours for a couple of other festivals in Europe, but there are every year because, funnily enough, they're actually elusive for every other festival.

13 hours ago, Homer said:

The last tour that they did in the round was brilliant. Didn't clock it at the time, but the Wembley gig i was at was the first time they ever did all the Neighbourhood songs in sequence.

Florence came on and screamed her only decent song (Dog Days), then, thinking they had done their guest slot/it couldn't get any better, Boy George came on and did Karma Chameleon. I'm not exactly a huge Culture Club, but you'd have to be pretty miserable not to enjoy that.

I left early, to avoid the rush for the trains, expecting Wake up would close the show. 

Never felt as sick when i found out Boy George came out.

What a gig though. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Old he may, but has McCartney ever played a festival and not headlined... ever? Surely him jumping straight from the biggest band in the world assured him top billings immediately during his solo career.

I did see him sub Pink Floyd at Knebworth 1990, but that was more a charidee thing. He’s not really one for festivals in the UK. Off the top of my head I’d say he’s done Glasto, IoW, BST (or whatever it used to be called). Anything else? TiTP? He’s always headlined those, of course. Can’t imagine him ever doing the Legends slot, he’ll always be too big for that.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Surely, it's too soon for Coldplay to return as an official headliner, although on the other hand, I'm sure they would like to be the undisputed record-holder band for most headline performances, which I think they're currently tied on with someone else on 4. I'm sure they want no. 5, but I doubt/hope it's next year.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:48 AM, Homer said:

It’s the cure they are tied with.

The Cure on top on goal difference 3-2 (more decades in which they've scattered their headlined appearances, showing longer relevance)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

The Cure on top on goal difference 3-2 (more decades in which they've scattered their headlined appearances, showing longer relevance)

I'll take that result, until it becomes irrelevant as Coldplay set up a residency between 2020 through 2030 - even on the fallow years.

Still reckon we'll get a headliner announcement shortly after Sunday. I reckon by next weekend we'll have something confirmed. Tay being announced on the 13th as Matt suggested could definitely be a shout.

Really intrigued by the lack of concrete rumours at this stage. The past few years we've had a solid idea by this point in the year. Really feels all to play for. 

After Emily (I think) suggested in 2017 that two of 2020's headliners were already booked I presumed they would be (probably) British, and friends of the festival. I've always thought one would be Blur, the other possibly Macca. They both seem possibles to me, although Neil has this info from 'a very good source' (Emily?) that Macca's not doing it. But if he's not doing it, why didn't he deny it on the Zoe Ball show when interviewed recently (he was asked and said it was possible)? And why did Michael suggest that Macca would be doing it? 

All to play for indeed.

43 minutes ago, jparx said:

Still reckon we'll get a headliner announcement shortly after Sunday. I reckon by next weekend we'll have something confirmed. Tay being announced on the 13th as Matt suggested could definitely be a shout.

Really intrigued by the lack of concrete rumours at this stage. The past few years we've had a solid idea by this point in the year. Really feels all to play for. 

Isn't Emily on a radio show at the end of this month? Wouldn't be suprised to get something then (though thats probably to promote the book).

12 minutes ago, henry bear said:

After Emily (I think) suggested in 2017 that two of 2020's headliners were already booked I presumed they would be (probably) British, and friends of the festival. I've always thought one would be Blur, the other possibly Macca. They both seem possibles to me, although Neil has this info from 'a very good source' (Emily?) that Macca's not doing it. But if he's not doing it, why didn't he deny it on the Zoe Ball show when interviewed recently (he was asked and said it was possible)? And why did Michael suggest that Macca would be doing it? 

All to play for indeed.

If I had an infinite budget and was put in charge of the festival, Blur, Macca and Taylor is exactly what I would book.

Which means it'll happen next year and I won't get tickets...

11 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Isn't Emily on a radio show at the end of this month? Wouldn't be suprised to get something then (though thats probably to promote the book).

Yep. I think that will mostly be for the book, but I reckon we'll have something before then. 

13 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Would make sense to do both. 

Discuss the book, then announce a headliner. Prime time ad space for the target market.

1 minute ago, robillustrates said:

Feels like if Taylor Swift is headlining the chance of the 1975 headlining is lower because they are pretty similar in terms of the music spectrum.

Out of all the trios of headliners we've had in previous years, Taylor Swift and The 1975 don't even come close to being the most similar on the music spectrum. That's like saying we can't have two bands headlining full of lads with guitars, aka pretty much every single year.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Out of all the trios of headliners we've had in previous years, Taylor Swift and The 1975 don't even come close to being the most similar on the music spectrum. That's like saying we can't have two bands headlining full of lads with guitars, aka pretty much every single year.

Might just be me but their music has a lot of similar traits and they aim for a similar nostalgia vibe on some material, defo closer than Stormzy - Killers and The Cure this year.

1 hour ago, robillustrates said:

Might just be me but their music has a lot of similar traits and they aim for a similar nostalgia vibe on some material, defo closer than Stormzy - Killers and The Cure this year.

I agree with you in the similarities - they are both absolutely garbage :)

I just don’t understand them, especially Taylor Swift. In my opinion, she’s just completely manufactured, insincere, sterile pop music. Really don’t get the popularity she has in the world, and especially in this forum. But each to their own, everyone likes different things and that’s ok!

Edited by gordong
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

highly offensive to lump Swift in with genuine musical dogshit like The 1975, even if both of their fanbases are primarily teenagers.

offensive to who? both quite poppy with 80's vibes on a number of tracks, to me at least they appeal to a pretty similar crowd in terms of audience and taste in music.