2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, Nobody Interesting said:

True, and they are playing next year too................................ had heard that before they played with the Killers. I reckon Sunday Tea Time slot for them.

Yeah I said as soon as they turned up on stage they’d be back, possibly as the legends, next year.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m not particularly au fait with Rihanna but hasn’t her ship sailed a little? She’s certainly not the cultural force she was a few years back.

Falls into the strong sub/weak headliner bracket for me.

Yeah she probs reached her peak 2012/13 and then her last album wasn't as popular. But if she came back with a new album (depending on what she goes for with it) then I think it's not that much of a stretch. 

Didn't realise she had a makeup brand or whatever, just heard she had a new one out this year on the radio the other day. 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

from what I heard about the (non)possibility of Macca next year it sounds like its not an option for the fest to have him - I'm guessing because they already know he won't be touring.

Do you know the story with him this year? There must be some backstory to this one since he seemed pretty certain at one point. Were they close/did it fall through? In hindsight he's nowhere near Europe this summer anyway.

3 minutes ago, Chef said:

Have seen this thread 'hot' but not kept up. Has there been any info on next year or just pure speculation now this years festival is over? 

Pure speculation mainly. From what I remember so far we've had

Fleetwood Mac - name dropped a lot by Emily as 'the ones they really want' and their hint at the Wembley gig

Neil Young - Michael said he'll hopefully be back next year

Paul McCartney - Michael said something along the lines of ''hopefully he's here for the 50th. Don't make a big thing of it though will you?''

And then there's the name that @parsonjack heard via someone with an AAA pass at the festival

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Do you know the story with him this year? There must be some backstory to this one since he seemed pretty certain at one point. Were they close/did it fall through? In hindsight he's nowhere near Europe this summer anyway.

He did initially have a GF sized gap in his US tour dates, which suggests he may have been at least talking to the festival (there were BST rumours too). My suspicion is that these talks didn’t amount to anything and he added some extra dates to his tour instead.

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced (on basically no evidence) that Pet Shop Boys are in the frame for the legends slot, and I also think it'd be a terrific booking.

I would love this so much. They were amazing in 2010 and they have so many amazing sing-a-long tunes. My only concern would be they normally have a decent light show/visuals that might get lost in the daytime but I'm sure they could manage something cool. 

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I would love this so much. They were amazing in 2010 and they have so many amazing sing-a-long tunes. My only concern would be they normally have a decent light show/visuals that might get lost in the daytime but I'm sure they could manage something cool. 

Spot on this. 2010 was brilliant and I also think something might be lost in the day but on the other hand with a packed out field belting their amazing back catalogue out. I just know I will be in tears for several of their songs if they play Sunday afternoon as I have my festival emotional moment !! 

16 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Pure speculation mainly. From what I remember so far we've had

Fleetwood Mac - name dropped a lot by Emily as 'the ones they really want' and their hint at the Wembley gig

Neil Young - Michael said he'll hopefully be back next year

Paul McCartney - Michael said something along the lines of ''hopefully he's here for the 50th. Don't make a big thing of it though will you?''

And then there's the name that @parsonjack heard via someone with an AAA pass at the festival

Thanks for the summary. 

Reckon all of those could be feasible - big heritage acts for the 50th. 

1 minute ago, faymondo said:

Spot on this. 2010 was brilliant and I also think something might be lost in the day but on the other hand with a packed out field belting their amazing back catalogue out. I just know I will be in tears for several of their songs if they play Sunday afternoon as I have my festival emotional moment !! 

Oh yeah I'd be bawling for Suburbia and also if they did When The Streets Have No Name/I Can't Take my Eyes Off You. And Go West. Always On My Mind. Domino Dancing. Fuck it would be so good.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Just seen that Foals are a strong rumour, is the thinking that's Pyramid sub/ Other headliner? Surely not headlining outright?

It’s unlikely we’d hear anything about subs this early before headliners and we did hear a small rumour about them headlining also. Neil hasn’t cleared up what he’s heard about them but I’d assume any rumours at the moment would be for headline - or maybe a contingency headline plan.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd be all over Pet Shop Boys in any slot.  Missed them in 2010 through poor choices, would love a second chance!

The fact that they played 2010 (and 2000) makes me think they’re not in for the Legends slot. I’m not gonna go full Two Hats on this one, but a Legends slot player being a repeat nowadays would be bizarre given the importance the slot now holds.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The fact that they played 2010 (and 2000) makes me think they’re not in for the Legends slot. I’m not gonna go full Two Hats on this one, but a Legends slot player being a repeat nowadays would be bizarre given the importance the slot now holds.

Agreed.  If they're back I'd expect 'em back on the Other.  Don't think they're up there enough for a headline on the Pymild these days, but they'd draw a decent crowd elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s unlikely we’d hear anything about subs this early before headliners and we did hear a small rumour about them headlining also. Neil hasn’t cleared up what he’s heard about them but I’d assume any rumours at the moment would be for headline - or maybe a contingency headline plan.

Would be shocked if Foals headlined. If a band the size of say Biffy Clyro could only make it to sub then I don't see why they'd have Foals headlining over The 1975 or whatever if they're wanting a younger British band.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ten years is enough of a gap for it to be feasible IMO. There will come a point where they will have to look at repeats due to lack of other options.

5 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Would be shocked if Foals headlined. If a band the size of say Biffy Clyro could only make it to sub then I don't see why they'd have Foals headlining over The 1975 or whatever if they're wanting a younger British band.

Completely agreed. I was surprised to see Biffy accepting subbing in 2017. They've headlined Reading twice and T in the Park plus a few others and Many of Horror is a song that all of the Pyramid casuals know. 

I just don't see Foals getting higher than a Pyramid sub or OS headline.

That said, i am a big Foals fan and if they do headline i'll be there to see it as they're awesome live!

Yeah how many people outside of these boards are really going to know how often Pet Shop Boys have played over the course of the festival’s history?

I can’t imagine that they won’t be on the Eeviis radar as a much easier option than coaxing someone like Diana Ross out of her gilded diva palace like a badger out of its set.

Edited by Winslow Leach

Just now, DL50 said:

Completely agreed. I was surprised to see Biffy accepting subbing in 2017. They've headlined Reading twice and T in the Park plus a few others and Many of Horror is a song that all of the Pyramid casuals know. 

I just don't see Foals getting higher than a Pyramid sub or OS headline.

That said, i am a big Foals fan and if they do headline i'll be there to see it as they're awesome live!

Completely the same as me aye I'd personally have a great time and they're an amazing live band but even tho their last album was amazing it hardly set the world alight.

Then again if you're only gonna look at ticket and album sales etc etc as making someone headliner-worthy then Stormzy wouldnt have done it so who knows maybe they will.

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Just seen that Foals are a strong rumour, is the thinking that's Pyramid sub/ Other headliner? Surely not headlining outright?

my thinking is that they're booked as sub, but with the potential to step up to headliner depending what happens with headliners.

I know that's something the festival does (as a backup plan), so that seems to make sense towards a band that are owed a 'favour' for their secret set this year.