So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

The other Bellboy

20 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I cant remember the last time I saw a camp fire there ... Im not even sure the firewood selling places still exist ? or the firewood on the railway line ... I used to love to haze that existed over the site giving it a sort of erie mysterious feel and the wax flares ..people just  chatted more in those days after the headliners quite nice really ... and yes there was guaranteed to be someone with a guitar turn up at some point . It was quite nice chatting to neighbours on your route back to the tent and gatecrashing their campsites and then waking up the next day thinking what the F*** did I say to them :) 

you can indeed still buy fire wood, the shop is by the other stage. we normally go past it on teh way back to buy some wood to last us the night

Yeah I prefer it now there are so many places to go..and yet, I sometimes prefer the adventures of getting to places more than the arriving.  I love stumbling around the site in the early hours on the way somewhere. The chatting, the nonsense, the detours. Getting lost, getting found.

I confess I'm not much of a raver. Sometimes I'm having an awesome time, and the worst thing that can happen is we arrive at where we intended to go, and it's noisy and over-crowded and I want to keep adventuring.

Edited by uscore

12 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Wasn't on in '88 and I can't remember any rave rigs in '89. '89 I was in the travellers' field just outside gate 3 (now CV east) and there certainly wasn't any rave there then. If it had been anywhere it would have been there. Wango Riley's was the biggest illegal venue there that year. 

1990 biggest area of travellers was in Undleground and east of there.That's where I was parked up and again I can't remember any rave rigs. 

Wasn't on in '91after the riot of '90 and '92 was the first year of a massive crackdown on travellers and illegal entrants in big vehicles. We were in T&C and saw no raving at all. Was a rather beige year.

'95 was, I think, the first year that raving really happened.

I remember things different, a little

1990 there were certainly small raves around. Remember being in some field (was near the market) where someone set up with a sound system and projectors. I remember as I was dancing away when a friend just came walking through the crowd with a walking stick and suit, he had decided to just come down for the night

1992 there was a few around. After Shakespeare Sister (yes I did go and watch some of it) I remember, off me nut, going to the experimental music field (which was Underworld) where they had a four speaker stacks and walls to project visuals on and from my old memory think the DJ'd\played from a tower in the middle. No idea what time that went on to. and then a small rave which seemed to be just offsite near where the stone circle is, very hazy on that but remember voodoo Ray being played play and me crying at how wonderful it all was .

P.S you still look young :)

Also loved the wondering around and joining different people camp fires talk nonsense for a big sharing drinks and spliffs then wondering off and finding other people

14 minutes ago, grayfitz said:

The Kickstarter backers were due a copy back in June 2017.

Oh wait... we're still waiting.

I had my copy in June 2018.  I had to chase like crazy to get it though.  Did you back it and not get a copy?

EDIT: Although I never got my Madness LV download I paid extra for.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

And people shagging in their tent on the first night - a whole field of people shagging on the first night to get it over and done with before they got too minging and off their heads in the following days to go down that route again....

Great nostalgic thread this - loving the reminder of the days when you made more of your own entertainment rather than expect it all laid on like a theme park.

No-one's mentioned the fireworks yet! Was like a war zone sometimes before they were banned with the things getting chucked around almost everywhere.

Add also:

3 Stellas for a fiver blokes,

Dealers at the bridges and dealer waiter service around the campsites (hash and 'e's and all that),

Sense that it could all just kick off at any moment sometimes,

Travellers hecking punters up at Undleground as they walked past on the uphill path,

All night fire juggling and drumming at Stone Circle (plus accidents when people got on fire),

Dancing outside a milk bar in Babylon at 4am to Madness or something ffs!

Campsites everywhere, even in the fields in front of stages, where you just sat down for a ten minute warm up and a smile before going on your way.

Everybody carrying around didgeridoo's cos it was the New Age right?

Homebrew.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

And people shagging in their tent on the first night - a whole field of people shagging on the first night to get it over and done with before they got too minging and off their heads in the following days to go down that route again....

Great nostalgic thread this - loving the reminder of the days when you made more of your own entertainment rather than expect it all laid on like a theme park.

No-one's mentioned the fireworks yet! Was like a war zone sometimes before they were banned with the things getting chucked around almost everywhere.

Add also:

3 Stellas for a fiver blokes,

Dealers at the bridges and dealer waiter service around the campsites (hash and 'e's and all that),

Sense that it could all just kick off at any moment sometimes,

Travellers hecking punters up at Undleground as they walked past on the uphill path,

All night fire juggling and drumming at Stone Circle (plus accidents when people got on fire),

Dancing outside a milk bar in Babylon at 4am to Madness or something ffs!

Campsites everywhere, even in the fields in front of stages, where you just sat down for a ten minute warm up and a smile before going on your way.

Everybody carrying around didgeridoo's cos it was the New Age right?

Homebrew.

I bought 3 Stellas for a fiver before Dolly Parton in 2014.  Flabbergasted!

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

and dealer waiter service around the campsites (hash and 'e's and all that),

I vividly recall lying somewhere in a field with my then girlfriend bathing in beautiful sunshine. All of a sudden we heard two blokes shouting out ' Rocky. Sensi. Rocky, sensi' over and over again. The lady I was with was a little naive, and asked me if I thought the two blokes were looking for two of their mates called Rocky and Sensi.

in an EFests era where the nuance (lack of) in thread titles seems to have defaulted to topics like "Headliners", "Acts Touring" instead of focusing on singular acts or other interesting angles on the festival, this thread is one of the best of the recent new ones, especially for discovering what it was like before I first went (2002) 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I vividly recall lying somewhere in a field with my then girlfriend bathing in beautiful sunshine. All of a sudden we heard two blokes shouting out ' Rocky. Sensi. Rocky, sensi' over and over again. The lady I was with was a little naive, and asked me if I thought the two blokes were looking for two of their mates called Rocky and Sensi.

Were certainly 2 of my friends

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

in an EFests era where the nuance (lack of) in thread titles seems to have defaulted to topics like "Headliners", "Acts Touring" instead of focusing on singular acts or other interesting angles on the festival, this thread is one of the best of the recent new ones, especially for discovering what it was like before I first went (2002) 

Ohh, that was the first year of 'tame'. It was quite a different beast before that, much more chaotic.