So what did late night entertainment consist of pre SE corner?

The other Bellboy

On 2/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Glastoboy said:

Early nineties nostalgia alert.

Late night entertainment centred around either the Stone Circle (which was always a great party), the outdoor cinema, the infamous 'Joe Bananas Blanket Stall' soundsystem or your camp. Firewood was aplenty in those days so there were a lot of great camp parties dotted all over the place. Making your own entertainment was part of the festival then.

I like how it is is these days though too. So much amazing stuff on offer.

still got an original JB blanket - a proper life saver

re after hours..

after Sugar Lump sound sistim (or whichever party we could find) we used to what we called 'sledge' and gurn our way around the site, talking shyte at all comers and seem to recall many a camp fire and many a new friend met that way

can't and won't compare with today's offering as the SE corner is arguably what differentiates G from the rest

roll on the G19 bumberclaart late night manoeuvres x 

6 minutes ago, deschwah said:

still got an original JB blanket - a proper life saver

Joe Bananas saved me when my tent was moved, I was doing the festival solo and I only had the clothes I was wearing and I had to buy all the essentials again from scratch, inc. a tent.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Joe Bananas saved me when my tent was moved, I was doing the festival solo and I only had the clothes I was wearing and I had to buy all the essentials again from scratch, inc. a tent.

Yes, and it was all A frame tents back then too. I had one which lasted about 7 Glastonbury's before it gave up the ghost. I have fond memories of that tent - which is possibly a little bit sad, if not worrying.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I vividly recall lying somewhere in a field with my then girlfriend bathing in beautiful sunshine. All of a sudden we heard two blokes shouting out ' Rocky. Sensi. Rocky, sensi' over and over again. The lady I was with was a little naive, and asked me if I thought the two blokes were looking for two of their mates called Rocky and Sensi.

I remember one year one of the mobile traders - he had a Welsh accent -  selling 'soap bar'.  Now our group of Lancastrians were very partial to a smoke, but not a one of us had ever heard this term before.  We called him over to ask, and he was so incredulous that he thought we were taking the piss and refused to sell us anything.

I have a DVD of Glastonbury the Movie which has loads of extra footage on it.  It features a few minutes of the raves in the markets.  It was filmed in 1993.  

I've looked online and not seen it uploaded anywhere - it must be quite hard to copy as it's one of those early DVD things where an icon appears in the corner, you press enter, and it interjects the footage into the main film.  But if you can be arsed to seek it out it's well worth a watch.

Of course it also has footage of Evan Dando crashing people's campfires with his guitar, which was largely unavoidable late night 'entertainment' for a few years in the early 90s.

Edited by fatyeti24

11 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

I remember one year one of the mobile traders - he had a Welsh accent -  selling 'soap bar'.  Now our group of Lancastrians were very partial to a smoke, but not a one of us had ever heard this term before.  We called him over to ask, and he was so incredulous that he thought we were taking the piss and refused to sell us anything.

standard name for a 250g block of 'roccy since around the mid-80s. It looks like a bar of soap. What else would anyone call it?

What year was that? Not surprised he gave you the flick. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

standard name for a 250g block of 'roccy since around the mid-80s. It looks like a bar of soap. What else would anyone call it?

What year was that? Not surprised he gave you the flick. :lol: 

Now if he'd said 'roccy' we'd have known exactly what he was on about!  It must have been '97 or '98 I reckon.

But for our naivety we could have been consummate customers ?

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

that was about 1992-ish when mainstream punters started to come in large numbers. :P 

I'm sure someone will be along soon saying how it all went to shit in the eighties etc. ?

As per the excellent sign on your website.

sign-NRG01.jpg

Personally, I have enjoyed the festival in all its different incarnations. Even the shit band years and the shit weather years. It has simply always been a great place to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, and it was all A frame tents back then too. I had one which lasted about 7 Glastonbury's before it gave up the ghost. I have fond memories of that tent - which is possibly a little bit sad, if not worrying.

My A Frame lasted from 1994 until 2003 when an elm tree fell on it in Big Ground during Moby...

Does anyone remember 'flat press' and red seal' around the time?

Does anyone have fond memories of The Ballroom and The Church of Love and Lothe? Remember had to pay £3 for a costume for The Ballroom back in 2000. Before LV it was known variably as Roy's Field or The Weird Beard Field before then.

59 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah, I now recall being offered soap bars way back then. However, it might come as some surprise, but in those days I was never really a stoner, so what people (dealers) were telling me, I just took for granted. In fact, in those days I mainly got my 'gear' off the street, and when you've got about ten people shouting in your face to take their gear, rather than the other people around them, then you kind of come to a quick decision.

This was the scenario I faced, thought I'd dealt with, and ended up with being hemmed in about 5 minutes later by 3 unmarked police cars. If only I knew then what I know now, I'd have taken the fuckers on. However, when you are given the choice of taking the rap, or them destroying your girlfriends nursing career, then one has to acquiesce to their demands.

The above is a situation that, I suspect, will never happen again. In any case me and the wife have formulated a plan if it does happen. It all starts with and ends with 'No comment'. She knows that I'll do the rest after that. You could 'bust' me right now, and you ain't going to get a lot.

I feel very lucky in that the festival has aged with me. I couldn't deal with pre fence Glastonbury now but the current incarnation is very agreeable with me. Whether that's a good thing is a discussion.

I hate for it to get any more comfortable. I think it's quite a positive thing that I find some of the SE corner a bit alien to me. 

Green Fields is quite a nice late area but it's all about Park and Crows Nest for me these days. Get up the hill at 11 and then it's a downhill stumble home at 2am.

Saying that, I would love to go in NYC Downlow, etc but I know in my heart that I'd just be adding to the tourist crowd and I'd be taking the spot of someone stuck outside who'd genuinely love to be in there.

4 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

My A Frame lasted from 1994 until 2003 when an elm tree fell on it in Big Ground during Moby...

Does anyone have fond memories of The Ballroom and The Church of Love and Lothe? Remember had to pay £3 for a costume for The Ballroom back in 2000. Before LV it was known variably as Roy's Field or The Weird Beard Field before then.

5 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Well, i remember red seal, certainly. That's because when you bought it, it would have a little wafer thin red seal on it's edge.

I remember my mate 'renting' a ball gown too, but being to spannered to get it back to them.

The Church of Love - did it have a boxing ring in it? If so, I remember it well!

5 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I couldn't deal with pre fence Glastonbury now but the current incarnation is very agreeable with me.

It's each to their own, but I'd go back to a pre fence Glastonbury in the drop of a hat. I'll probably provoke some people here now, but I'd say that there's no way on the planet that it's current incarnation would even be in the same league as it's previous one. It's just that a lot of people who go nowadays simply don't know an alternative. The reason why I have given up on Glastonbury (which I have) is that it is becoming as homogeneous as a fair ground or Costa Coffee. It is, to my mind,  only the people who attend that really enable it to continue in any way close to the original experience.

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I remember red seal and the little bits of red plastic you'd have to watch out for.  Gold seal had the gold paint down one edge.  My favourite was squidgey black, I loved the smell of that stuff.  You'd roll it out into rods.

Not seen any of the above in years, mind.  

Ah squidgey God that takes me back. Used to roll it into rats tails. Lovely stuff.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It's each to their own, but I'd go back to a pre fence Glastonbury in the drop of a hat. I'll probably provoke some people here now, but I'd say that there's no way on the planet that it's current incarnation would even be in the same league as it's previous one. It's just that a lot of people who go nowadays simply don't know an alternative. The reason why I have given up on Glastonbury (which I have) is that it is becoming as homogeneous as a fair ground or Costa Coffee. It is, to my mind,  only the people who attend that really enable it to continue in any way close to the original experience.

Ding ding!! Winner of 'the festival isn't as good as it used to be award'. It's efestivals version of Godwin's law 

3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I remember red seal and the little bits of red plastic you'd have to watch out for.  Gold seal had the gold paint down one edge.  My favourite was squidgey black, I loved the smell of that stuff.  You'd roll it out into rods.

Not seen any of the above in years, mind.  

Apart from when it tasted like petrol.

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I can see why you think that and know some others who would go back to that, but of course this is reality and that isn't the choice.

It's the modern day equivalent or nowt, ss it became increasingly apparent then that it was on a path to no longer existing if it didn't change.