2021 Lineup

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

We are now looking at until mid July for restrictions to start getting lifted. A month later they are going to be fine with 80k teenagers in a field? With most of the attendees unlikely to be vaccinated?

Positives for R&L are they’re run by a big company so have the cash and are also in contact with the government due to the pilot schemes so are a step ahead against any other event but the step up in capacity could be an issue. 

2 minutes ago, foolee said:

Positives for R&L are they’re run by a big company so have the cash and are also in contact with the government due to the pilot schemes so are a step ahead against any other event but the step up in capacity could be an issue. 

Well yes, we have to go from no festivals now to 80k capacity events in the space of a month. It’s a big jump.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Well yes, we have to go from no festivals now to 80k capacity events in the space of a month. It’s a big jump.

There’s obv less chance of it happening than a month or so ago, I don’t think it’s a write off though. 

If hospitalisations and deaths stay low, basically the vaccines continue to do their jobs, then  I think it can still get the green light. 

The delay may make the council more keen to allow it, if businesses have had another month of pain 

Edited by Benj

8 hours ago, Ives562 said:

Apparantly 46,000 at euro 2021 final at wembley 

Yeah just needs to double again in a month and it's go, especially if restrictions are lifted on the 19th. If they need too and they can they'll make it so you have to do a test on entry to enter the festival. 

2 hours ago, foolee said:

Yeah just needs to double again in a month and it's go, especially if restrictions are lifted on the 19th. If they need too and they can they'll make it so you have to do a test on entry to enter the festival. 

I agree mate I feel if you've not been double dosed it will be a test on entry but if that's what it takes to get in I'm more than happy to do that for a cracking weekend 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nathanh said:

What do we think of Melvins statement on Latitude 

1953A9C5-62E3-40F6-8B29-1BACB003791B.jpeg

I don't think it's looking good for the festivals that have put out statements (Latitude, Kendal, Truck etc) but the silence re: R&L, Creamfields, Wireless etc later in summer is interesting, quietly confident maybe?

21 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I don't think it's looking good for the festivals that have put out statements (Latitude, Kendal, Truck etc) but the silence re: R&L, Creamfields, Wireless etc later in summer is interesting, quietly confident maybe?

I've had a hunch for a while that the weekend of Creamfields and R&L will be the weekend they make them pilot/bigger scale trial events and they go ahead but I could just be optimistic 

Just think it’s a massive leap. Especially since a huge chunk of R&L’s attendees will be unvaccinated. 

46,000 fans controlled with testing on entry. Vs 80,000 gig a month later with uncontrolled social distancing and much of the crowd unvaccinated.

My current guess is that R&L

18 minutes ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I've had a hunch for a while that the weekend of Creamfields and R&L will be the weekend they make them pilot/bigger scale trial events and they go ahead but I could just be optimistic 

Yeah, that is my feeling at the moment. Those two events will be the big, final pilot events. 

4 hours ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I don’t think you can really call 3 just under 100k festivals a pilot event honestly, the only thing that would even be piloting for is Glastonbury capacity wise. I hope they just open up but I think supporting festivals at the end of the July and making them pilots would be a better idea as then they can actually go ahead and they are a suitable step up from Download Pilot.

also that weekend is at the end of august so if thats the pilot by the time results are out its already going to be the end of the festival season

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Pilot events for next summer? Why would events not be allowed next summer?

You never know if mass testing will be needed this time next summer. You’d guess and hope at it being unlikely but if they do 80k pilots this summer they at least have the evidence that it works/doesn’t work. If they’re going to put festivals like R&L on this summer they’d might as well make them official pilots and utilise the data

1 hour ago, andyrhodes24 said:

You never know if mass testing will be needed this time next summer. You’d guess and hope at it being unlikely but if they do 80k pilots this summer they at least have the evidence that it works/doesn’t work. If they’re going to put festivals like R&L on this summer they’d might as well make them official pilots and utilise the data

But we do know. They won't have restrictions when vaccines have been rolled out completely. So there won't be any question mark over festivals.

Furthermore, they don't just say "we're a test event" and go ahead as normal, it's something they've had to push to be allowed to do, so there's no 'might as well' about it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dentalplan said:

But we do know. They won't have restrictions when vaccines have been rolled out completely. So there won't be any question mark over festivals.

Furthermore, they don't just say "we're a test event" and go ahead as normal, it's something they've had to push to be allowed to do, so there's no 'might as well' about it.

Not necessarily, it's obviously unlikely now the vaccines have been rolled out but anything could happen and the attendance festivals get makes them one of the first events likely to be paused if the worst should happen. It's all uncharted territory.

'If' negative lateral flow tests are a hypothetical condition of festivals being allowed to go ahead after 19 July then you'd like to think the Government would analyse that data - R&L would be the most well-attended officially organised UK events since the League Cup Final on 1 March 2020 and they'll know that. I hope as much as the next guy that they actually do remove all limits on social contact on 19 July 'but' if some testing has to remain as a condition of mass events taking place then Boris would be an even bigger fool than he already is not to use the test data

33 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I hope as much as the next guy that they actually do remove all limits on social contact on 19 July 'but' if some testing has to remain as a condition of mass events taking place then Boris would be an even bigger fool than he already is not to use the test data

Testing already appears to be happening- bringing attention back to a statement made in their first timers guide a few months back “The government are not mandating vaccination, so a vaccine won’t be mandatory at Reading Festival, but we will be testing to ensure those without vaccination are Covid clear before they enter the festival.”

2 minutes ago, nathanh said:

Testing already appears to be happening- bringing attention back to a statement made in their first timers guide a few months back “The government are not mandating vaccination, so a vaccine won’t be mandatory at Reading Festival, but we will be testing to ensure those without vaccination are Covid clear before they enter the festival.”

That's a fair point. You never know what's going on behind the scenes, if FR are working with the Government anyway on the Download pilot then for R&L they might want the assurances as officially-regulated pilot can offer, you'd imagine regulations would be slightly more stringent

On 6/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, Matt42 said:

Just think it’s a massive leap. Especially since a huge chunk of R&L’s attendees will be unvaccinated. 

46,000 fans controlled with testing on entry. Vs 80,000 gig a month later with uncontrolled social distancing and much of the crowd unvaccinated.

I think people arent looking at it properly personally.

The Euro final will happen. It doesnt matter if there are fans or not. Its a football game between two teams and it happens regardless.

R and L is a festival bringing acts from around the world that HAVE to have the fans there. The logistics behind a festival will be far harder then a simple football game. Melvin cant just wait a month before and cancel...he simply cant do that. There will be alot of money involved and having to cancel last minute would be catastrophic. I also think its too late to make it a British acts only event. You'd have to for eg lose Queens, YB and MGK from one day alone, the top three acts for one stage on one day.

Theres some big calls to be had...if I had to guess then unfortunately i do think they pull it.