Hot Chip

suzie sue

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

They are being billed as Freakout/Release shows, tbf...

Yeah I know, but went with partner who has not really listened to them before. Its always a harder sell when you go to a gig with some one who is not familar with the artist and they play a lot of new stuff that they will certainly not know. Despite "not knowing" their stuff she recognised Over & Over, Boy from School and obviously the Madonna cover. She never recognised any of the newer stuff and to be fair the other older stuff they playedand so was not really won over by them. Dont think she will want to see them again. 

Its always a strange situation when many of the real fans want new material, deep cuts etc but the casual fans andthose not familar with them want the greatest hits set. it reminds me of something Midge Ure said at one of his gigs I went to. "Half the audience are here because they like me, but also half are here because their other half dragged them. The ones who have been dragged might like the big hits ifI play them but they will hate it if I only play the tracks they have never heard before.

As the band mentioned great fun for 20 odd quid.

I was hoping my partner would love Hot Chip, Oh well the next gig we are going to where she does not really know them is Fields of the Nephilim. I can guarantee she will not recognise anything that night 😊other then maybe the Harmonica Man intro.

4 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

It was Hot Chip doing Hot Chip… they are so consistently good.

Think its 7 times I've seen them and they are the most consistent band I've seen. They were even better than LCD when they did their joint headline tour. Do prefer their festival sets over their standalone gigs though. As for covers, 'Dancing in the Dark' is probably my favourite cover going. 

1 hour ago, DDave said:

Think its 7 times I've seen them and they are the most consistent band I've seen. They were even better than LCD when they did their joint headline tour. Do prefer their festival sets over their standalone gigs though. As for covers, 'Dancing in the Dark' is probably my favourite cover going. 

Probably pushing 10 times for me… from 2008.

festivals are usually a joyous occasion anyway and Hot Chip are a perfect feel good fit for me.. but their standalone gigs always get an enthusiastic following.

I am with you that Dancing in the Dark was genius… my daughter loves ‘Sabotage’ after we saw them perform it in the tiny Village Underground in Hoxton.. it was pretty epic.

I would love to see them top the big pointy one but appreciate it’s not going to happen… Park headlines are enough of  party though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

anyone been to Kaleidoscope at all?? I think The Flaming Lips were there this year (or maybe last)?

Are the headliners inside Ally Pally or outside on the hill (which is as steep as a steep thing,,,

image.thumb.png.4d7981a637f5ccf832348f13feb7bf71.pngOutside - heres a photo of orbital this year 🙂 looks pretty steep, no idea which hill that is though on the site

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

anyone been to Kaleidoscope at all?? I think The Flaming Lips were there this year (or maybe last)?

Are the headliners inside Ally Pally or outside on the hill (which is as steep as a steep thing,,,

It's outside with the stage at the bottom of the hill

Is a nice spot for it when I went

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

One of the reasons I (and many others) love Brixton o2 so much as well!

yeh for sure

was at the primal scream show at alexandra park with the same setup, and can confirm the view was good from most places. the sound could have been better but we got up pretty close to make up for it

• 4 months later...