Hot Chip

suzie sue

Although they’re a guaranteed good time I’m certainly hoping WH or even the Park delivers on the Friday headliner front as Hot Chip are such a safe and, dare I say it, stale choice for a stage headliner. I also just don’t think they could come close to topping or equalling that 2015 set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Although they’re a guaranteed good time I’m certainly hoping WH or even the Park delivers on the Friday headliner front as Hot Chip are such a safe and, dare I say it, stale choice for a stage headliner. I also just don’t think they could come close to topping or equalling that 2015 set.

Yeah this.

It’ll be the 8th or 9th time I’ve seen them, so while I know it’s always a 9/10 experience at minimum, it’s not something I’m crazy excited about. 

That said, Fred Again into Hot Chip is a good evening. Someone like Young Fathers on before Fred and I’ll be happy. 

Completely agree with the above. I didn't enjoy them as much on the Park or more recently at The Warehouse Project as I did on West Holts but that may be more about me, and it being less of a novelty, as them.

It may depend on who comes before or after - as has been said Young Fathers, Fred, Hot Chip and I'll add the Chems DJ on Arcadia (though I guess that is unlikely if they are playing live the night before in Finland?)... and that's a banging Friday night.

Edited by DJL

32 minutes ago, DJL said:

Completely agree with the above. I didn't enjoy them as much on the Park or more recently at The Warehouse Project as I did on West Holts but that may be more about me, and it being less of a novelty, as them.

It may depend on who comes before or after - as has been said Young Fathers, Fred, Hot Chip and I'll add the Chems DJ on Arcadia (though I guess that is unlikely if they are playing live the night before in Finland?)... and that's a banging Friday night.

That day at West Holts was fantastic in 2015. Gaslamp Killer Experience into Run The Jewels into Caribou into Hot Chip. Just an absolutely brilliant day. Possibly my favorite afternoon for just incredible music at Glastonbury. West Holts in particular was off the charts that year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

2015 set was god tier. That triple run of Run The Jewels -> Caribou -> Hot Chip on the West Holts will take something massive to ever topple for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Chrisp1986 said:

Is Fred Again doable first? Not sure I have ever done Other to JP for headliner. I have done JP to Pyramid which was about doable 

Last year there was an hour between St Vincent and Primal Scream so yeah plenty of time. 

Can’t imagine it’ll be heaving for Hot Chip, so will be fine to mooch over post Fred. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:45 PM, DJL said:

No, it's them. Not that they're bad now, but there was absolute fucking magic about them in 2015, it was obvious at the time that they were carrying around lightning in a bottle around with them on that tour and it couldn't last.

It's tempting to say Sarah Jones was the difference, but even if she came back I don't think they would quite have the same magic again.

I might go and see them again, still going to be at least an 8/10 gig for me. But in 2015, they were doing 10/10 for the entire tour.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No, it's them. Not that they're bad now, but there was absolute fucking magic about them in 2015, it was obvious at the time that they were carrying around lightning in a bottle around with them on that tour and it couldn't last.

It's tempting to say Sarah Jones was the difference, but even if she came back I don't think they would quite have the same magic again.

I might go and see them again, still going to be at least an 8/10 gig for me. But in 2015, they were doing 10/10 for the entire tour.

You clearly didnt set to see them in Brixton back in September then.....?

They have been one of the most consistently great live British bands for well over a decade... There was some magic in the air at WH thats for sure.. but you're getting a party whenever you see them.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

2015 was sensational. An all timer. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them below an 8/10.

Recent tour was 9.5 for sure, latest album slaps live. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

They have been one of the most consistently great live British bands for well over a decade... There was some magic in the air at WH thats for sure.. but you're getting a party whenever you see them.

This 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I do think Sarah Jones makes a big difference. Such a good drummer. I have a couple of other bootlegs from that year and there’s a total groove about them that they’ve never replicated.

I saw them in Glasgow last year (at one of the worst gig venues I’ve ever been to) and they were still absolutely great, but not West Holts 2015 great.

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

This 

That's good to hear!

I wasn't actually at the festival in 2015, but saw them in Manchester (possibly the best gig of my life) and regularly watch the video of the W Holts set. I saw them once again since and while they were still really good, it wasn't quite the same.

The last two albums haven't really hit the spot for me, which is sad because they were easily my favourite band for a while 

I suspect I'll be there.

38 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I do think Sarah Jones makes a big difference. Such a good drummer. I have a couple of other bootlegs from that year and there’s a total groove about them that they’ve never replicated.

I saw them in Glasgow last year (at one of the worst gig venues I’ve ever been to) and they were still absolutely great, but not West Holts 2015 great.

She really is a magic ingredient. When I saw them again they had the guy who played on a lot of the recordings that she was copying. All of the beats were in the right place and there was nothing different to the arrangement.  It's not like when Oasis or The Stone Roses changed drummer and it was a different drum part. Again, there was nothing wrong with the way he played, not at all... She just gave it that little extra in-the-pocket goodness.  Like a rhythmic MSG.