Muddy / non-muddy years

fuzzy_logic

I can only really do from 2010 onwards 

2010 - Dustbowl. So so dry. 

2011 - Wet and muddy for a couple of days, dried up by the end IIRC

2013 - A bit wet but overall very manageable

2014 - Wasn't there a thunderstorm that year?  I seem to remember it being muddy friday  and scattered showers onwards. 

2015 - Dustbowl at first, soggy last day i think

2016 - Mud. So much mud.  It nearly broke me

2017 - Yes please.  That again forever would be ok by me.

Since the fence went up, 2005, 2007, 2011, and 2016. Arguably 2004 depending on where you draw the line.

Of those, only 2016 was bad from day one through to the end. 2007 actually started off really nice but got worse when the rain came and never ever stopped. 2005 and 2011 did both dry out by the end of the festival - 2005 was actually damn near perfect weather apart from the flash floods on Thursday night / Friday morning.

2004 was a bit damp at times, and muddy in places but nowhere near the level of the other years mentioned.

I've done 2010 on-wards and only 2010 & 2017 have been dry, in fact I could have done with a bit more cloud cover in 2017 as it was scorching on the Tuesday/Wednesday) and there's not much shade on site until all the venues are open.

Being stood in silence in pissing-down rain in 2014 as the thunderstorm had shut down the site was a particular low point as it cut short a brilliant set I was watching and threw out the stage timings for the rest of the day, which meant I accidentally saw Interpol (much dullness) and Paulo Nuttini.

2016 was definitely the worst year I've even been and nearly caused me to leave early, it broke the wife and she didn't want to go in 2017.

She's not going in 2019 due to the imminent arrival of grandchild number 2 so hopefully that'll bring a dry one.

I don't want to curse 2019 but I can't remember there ever being 3 dry Glasto years in a row.

1 hour ago, Penrhos said:

I've done 2010 on-wards and only 2010 & 2017 have been dry, in fact I could have done with a bit more cloud cover in 2017 as it was scorching on the Tuesday/Wednesday) and there's not much shade on site until all the venues are open.

Being stood in silence in pissing-down rain in 2014 as the thunderstorm had shut down the site was a particular low point as it cut short a brilliant set I was watching and threw out the stage timings for the rest of the day, which meant I accidentally saw Interpol (much dullness) and Paulo Nuttini.

2016 was definitely the worst year I've even been and nearly caused me to leave early, it broke the wife and she didn't want to go in 2017.

She's not going in 2019 due to the imminent arrival of grandchild number 2 so hopefully that'll bring a dry one.

I don't want to curse 2019 but I can't remember there ever being 3 dry Glasto years in a row.

That won't be a curse then  - as 2018 was fallow it would still only be two dry Glasto years in a row :)

It's 2020 that no one wants to be buying a ticket for due to the savage weather that can be anticipated :ninja:

Having missed out on tickets for 2017 and some of my gear having reached end of life I'm trying to decide if I can delay Glastonbury purchases long enough to get a dry/wet year view or whether my excitement will just make me buy both...

8 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

2016 was my first year and I still have nightmares about that mud. I don't think we'll get mud that bad any time soon. 

2017 was great, no mud- I wore chucks all weekend!!

I have to ask, what are these chucks you speak of? If they are crocs I'm afraid we can no longer remain friends. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I liked 2016.

2017 was optimum weather from Thursday onwards though. Not too hot, no rain.

My first year was 1998, 2016 was a breeze.

I also really liked 2016, at least it didn't rain much during the festival. I find that the bad weather brings a level of camaraderie to the festival, which is something you don't get in dry/hot years.