Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

There are the metal pint pots but I think the bar staff still pour into a proper cup and transfer over, this thus making them a waste of time.

I found if you specifically ask them not to do that then it tends to go straight into the tin pot, but maybe I just have a persuasive manner :)

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Latitude has reusable plastic pint cups, charged £2 deposit for the first one, take it back and swap it next time. Plus you can't take in your own drink so no cans.

Glastonbury have these plastic cups but only at crew bars (I think), @glasto-workercould give you chapter and verse on why they're not more widely used. 

There are the metal pint pots but I think the bar staff still pour into a proper cup and transfer over, this thus making them a waste of time.

The best reusable pint pots that I've come across are at Green Man, made from recycled plastic and really sturdy for plastic pots. You pay a refundable deposit with your first pint and then just take it back and they change it for a clean one if you ask and refill it. Yours to keep at the end of the festival or return it and get your deposit back. Whether it's practical for a festival the size of Glastonbury I'm not sure but they were better than the metal ones they had in 2017

IMG_20181023_165354907.jpg

26 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

The best reusable pint pots that I've come across are at Green Man, made from recycled plastic and really sturdy for plastic pots. You pay a refundable deposit with your first pint and then just take it back and they change it for a clean one if you ask and refill it. Yours to keep at the end of the festival or return it and get your deposit back. Whether it's practical for a festival the size of Glastonbury I'm not sure but they were better than the metal ones they had in 2017

IMG_20181023_165354907.jpg

I have a number of different versions of these from various festivals.  I took one to Glasto in 2017 but they wouldn't fill it but instead insisted on filling a paper cup instead.  I still poured it into mine afterwards though because they are much nicer to drink from then paper cups.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Trick is to pre-fold it before stomping / squashing.

Hold the can upright and squash it in halfway down the can from each side so it meets in the middle. Then rotate it 90 degrees (still upright) and do the same top and bottom. Won't meet in the middle, but you'll put the folds in the right place to get it started.

Then either stomp it flat, or (and this is my preference) flatten it in your hands. Should now be nicely flat and fit easily into a pocket for later disposal. Just remember to upend it and get rid of the dregs before putting it in said pocket :)

3 hours ago, Quark said:

If I have a tin of pop this afternoon I will post a photo sequence just for you :D

Well obviously not just for TOS - I will be watching this thread intently and will try to perfect this before June.  (I have to say though that I'm fairly certain the guy in question did no such folding - it was finish the can, stomp, done.)  I may of course be talking out of my arse as I can't even remember where it was but maybe Other Stage in 2017?  It certainly wouldn't have worked in 2016!

Edited by Beerqueen

5 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Okay, I concede: my sense of humour appears to get checked-out when I enter this forum.  Every time I hear mention of Philippa's Van or the monorail, a bit of my soul dies.  But funny or not, this thread will still be seen as a personal dig by one person on this forum and the same old handbags are likely to be swinging again.

I feel the same about Phillipa's van. Comes across really sleazy and I think it would be well remembered that women make up a good portion of this forum and it totally creeps me out. 

p.s I was involved in the other night but deleted comments and reported the trouble making rogue poster posing as Gazza. I don't really look at post counts and reps when replying so didn't notice it was a new account. I also apologised. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Okay, I concede: my sense of humour appears to get checked-out when I enter this forum.  Every time I hear mention of Philippa's Van or the monorail, a bit of my soul dies.  But funny or not, this thread will still be seen as a personal dig by one person on this forum and the same old handbags are likely to be swinging again.

Hi Mark,

Very specifically with regards to the in-jokes thing. I struggled at first with some of them, but I’ve found when someone asks for an explanation as to what one’s about you get an almost immediate response about it, even a link to an archived thread. In the same manner people here are (gleefully) eager to share help and advice, esp. to newbies. 

Just my two penneth! 

In-jokes can seem a bit cliquey and make newer members feel out of place and maybe even might dissuade curious people from registering.

That's why we need to balance them out by roasting Richard Ashcroft to within an inch of his life, a wholesome and welcoming activity enjoyed by all.

Except by Richard Ashcroft, presumably.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

In-jokes can seem a bit cliquey and make newer members feel out of place and maybe even might dissuade curious people from registering.

Because I hate new members and want them all to leave, here's my response to this thread:

we need a blackface ban. it's getting out of hand.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's why we need to balance them out by roasting Richard Ashcroft to within an inch of his life, a wholesome and welcoming activity enjoyed by all.

Except by Richard Ashcroft, presumably.

True that. 

Although there aren’t many here particularly. You kinda stumble across them once here.

RE: Dickie-A. I sincerely hope he continues his current run of ‘form’. And his Twitter. 

Vaguely back to the original question.

Dont think everyone has a good time the way you have a good time, so maybe ,just maybe someone who looks uncomfortable whilst surrounded by others gurning their faces off doesn't need to lighten up but is happy to not get involved. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

True that. 

Although there aren’t many here particularly. You kinda stumble across them once here.

RE: Dickie-A. I sincerely hope he continues his current run of ‘form’. And his Twitter. 

And you do kinda get the hang of it quite quickly:

Someone thought blackface was acceptable fancy dress (Gazza?)

Two Hats thinks ELO isn’t a band

Its fun to tell newbies there’s a monorail 

JJ is a loon/Emily in disguise/a Russian bot

Pablo Honey is always number 9

Philipas Van i actually have no idea about that one but I’m happy to stay in the dark (as HMV said - sleazy)

Any others?

You are all v amusing,

Signed

A Newbie

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

And you do kinda get the hang of it quite quickly:

Someone thought blackface was acceptable fancy dress (Gazza?)

Two Hats thinks ELO isn’t a band

Its fun to tell newbies there’s a monorail 

JJ is a loon/Emily in disguise/a Russian bot

Pablo Honey is always number 9

Philipas Van i actually have no idea about that one but I’m happy to stay in the dark (as HMV said - sleazy)

Any others?

You are all v amusing,

Signed

A Newbie

See you at the Ridge and Furrow in June! :D I'm sure there may be a few more and new ones to be made. But it's the stuff like that that made me ask questions and as Woffy said get a helpful response with a link. As a result felt more included than not. 

6 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

See you at the Ridge and Furrow in June! :D I'm sure there may be a few more and new ones to be made. But it's the stuff like that that made me ask questions and as Woffy said get a helpful response with a link. As a result felt more included than not. 

?. Only if you promise to have a distinctive hair colour so I can seek a fellow female efestival-er out.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

?. Only if you promise to have a distinctive hair colour so I can seek a fellow female efestival-er out.

Oh I'm sure someone will come along soon and tell you how you'll hear me and my sweary voice before you'd notice whatever colour my hair is likely to be at the farm. :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

As a Canadian theres an extra level of encryption on this forum. It took me a few days to realize Macca=Paul McCartney, Madge= Madonna...

Now I'm gunna have to figure out what/who/where Gazza is?

Yes! Me too. The one that took me the longest was working out Jay Z and Beyoncé were the Carters!

Gazza I think is a forum member with a few more down votes than the average member (thewayiam). He gets a bit of stick.

12 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

As a Canadian theres an extra level of encryption on this forum. It took me a few days to realize Macca=Paul McCartney, Madge= Madonna...

Now I'm gunna have to figure out what/who/where Gazza is?

Says you lot with yer ‘pencil crayons’!

THEY’RE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!

?

I’ll bet you a two-four - or at least a loonie - you’ll have picked up all the lingo by June  

What a post-modern twist to the thread: an explanation of all the forum 'in-jokes.'  Woffy - I agree that this sort of thing isn't intended to exclude people; I just have a sense-of-humour-failure about shared group banter, as I'm inherently anti-social.  The only reason I got up on my soap box about this thread was that mass forum handbag battles are depressing, but I got it wrong: kalifire was just being witty rather than raising a mob.

(Re. Pippa's van.  As H.M.V. points out: sleazy, but also a bit misogynistic.  I didn't get on my soap box about this one though as, in all likelihood, Pippa and her van were only ever a work of fiction, and I didn't want to fan the flames.)