Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

6 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

The only place I know in Digbeth is the bus station - not known for its nightlife!

Oh, there's night life alright at Digbeth Bus Station - it's just that you probably wont want to interact with it. I remember going to an all night cafe (decades ago) in Digbeth for the first time. I looked at the clientele and though ' Fuck. Am I going to eat a meal here and get out in one piece'? Then I looked at the two blokes with me, and thought 'Yeah, I reckon I'm probably going to be alright'. Then the two afore mentioned blokes went up to the counter and ordered several of the Big Breakfasts - each!

Loads of all night stuff going on in Digbeth nowadays though. No need to retreat to a greasy spoon.

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

20 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh, there's night life alright at Digbeth Bus Station - it's just that you probably wont want to interact with it. I remember going to an all night cafe (decades ago) in Digbeth for the first time. I looked at the clientele and though ' Fuck. Am I going to eat a meal here and get out in one piece'? Then I looked at the two blokes with me, and thought 'Yeah, I reckon I'm probably going to be alright'. Then the two afore mentioned blokes went up to the counter and ordered several of the Big Breakfasts - each!

Loads of all night stuff going on in Digbeth nowadays though. No need to retreat to a greasy spoon.

Yeah, bear in mind I am a (late) middle aged woman!  I like going out and enjoying myself but I don't like to live life too much on the edge!

1 minute ago, Beerqueen said:

Yeah, bear in mind I am a (late) middle aged woman!  I like going out and enjoying myself but I don't like to live life too much on the edge!

To be honest I wouldn't go there myself because of the 'age' thing (also middle aged this end). It's just that if you are suitably aged, then that's where you'd want to head, instead of going to the night life offered on Broad street. 

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

To be honest I wouldn't go there myself because of the 'age' thing (also middle aged this end). It's just that if you are suitably aged, then that's where you'd want to head, instead of going to the night life offered on Broad street. 

I tend to go to Brum only for gigs - big and small.  For normal nights out, I like seeing live bands in local pubs or just going to pubs with friends.  But if there is anywhere in Brum (or Bridgnorth!) that you recommend I will certainly consider it.

4 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I tend to go to Brum only for gigs - big and small.  For normal nights out, I like seeing live bands in local pubs or just going to pubs with friends.  But if there is anywhere in Brum (or Bridgnorth!) that you recommend I will certainly consider it.

I'm musically challenged so couldn't recommend a gig place in either Birmingham or Bridgnorth, I'm afraid. I don't even go out that often anymore. I much prefer staying in and getting a bit lashed (in terms of drink and debauchery). In fact, going out is a bit of a chore, but often quite fun when I make the effort.

Just read this whole thread and wanted to give a big shout out in the absence of any more upvotes to @H.M.V and @MetaKateand all the other women who have shared their stories here. Big love and solidarity to you all. I'm 35 years old, have been sexually assaulted seriously once (whatever that means) but in minor ways more times than I count, including plenty of verbal harassment. Some of these happened at gigs, which is heartbreaking, sometimes on public transport, sometimes walking home, the list goes on... we all know though. I don't have a female friend who hasn't been assaulted in some way or other. You just learn from a young age to keep an eye out and keep your guard up and so on and so forth but it still happens. You wouldn't really believe that some of the scum that's out there exist until you meet one of them.

This shit ain't new though. Back in the 90s Courtney Love and Kathleen Hanna (albeit while fighting amongst themselves) banged this same old drum to deaf ears. So it's nice to see it gain some traction.

I've been on the site, lurking first, for years now and while I love it it can sometimes feel a bit blokey at times, even in a nerdy kinda way, so it's super awesome to see such cool women posting out front. Kudos.

I've never been to a meet but I would like to. Always bottle it. Have walked past a few times and even saw @stuartbert two hats last time... maybe next year I'll make it. Some of you are pretty cool.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just read this whole thread and wanted to give a big shout out in the absence of any more upvotes to @HMV and @MetaKate and all the other women who have shared their stories here. Big love and solidarity to you all. I'm 35 years old, have been sexually assaulted seriously once (whatever that means) but in minor ways more times than I count, including plenty of verbal harassment. Some of these happened at gigs, which is heartbreaking, sometimes on public transport, sometimes walking home, the list goes on... we all know though. I don't have a female friend who hasn't been assaulted in some way or other. You just learn from a young age to keep an eye out and keep your guard up and so on and so forth but it still happens. You wouldn't really believe that some of the scum that's out there exist until you meet one of them.

This shit ain't new though. Back in the 90s Courtney Love and Kathleen Hanna (albeit while fighting amongst themselves) banged this same old drum to deaf ears. So it's nice to see it gain some traction.

I've been on the site, lurking first, for years now and while I love it it can sometimes feel a bit blokey at times, even in a nerdy kinda way, so it's super awesome to see such cool women posting out front. Kudos.

I've never been to a meet but I would like to. Always bottle it. Have walked past a few times and even saw @stuartberttwohats last term maybe next year I'll make it. Some of you are pretty cool.

It would be awesome to have a drink with you. Although I will be most upset if Mia Wallace doesn't rock up. Lol Can meet up before the meet if you want. :D

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

It would be awesome to have a drink with you. Although I will be most upset if Mia Wallace doesn't rock up. Lol Can meet up before the meet if you want. :D

Ah thank you :) And you. If it helps I have a very similar haircut, although I don't smoke cigarettes any more.

First few years I went was always in a big group of mates and Wednesday was very much a group day so never felt like I could peel off to the meet. Now it's just me and the other half and a couple of other friends we will meet up with down there so maybe this is the time to pop by for a pint.

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just read this whole thread and wanted to give a big shout out in the absence of any more upvotes to @HMV and @MetaKate and all the other women who have shared their stories here. Big love and solidarity to you all. I'm 35 years old, have been sexually assaulted seriously once (whatever that means) but in minor ways more times than I count, including plenty of verbal harassment. Some of these happened at gigs, which is heartbreaking, sometimes on public transport, sometimes walking home, the list goes on... we all know though. I don't have a female friend who hasn't been assaulted in some way or other. You just learn from a young age to keep an eye out and keep your guard up and so on and so forth but it still happens. You wouldn't really believe that some of the scum that's out there exist until you meet one of them.

I've never been to a meet but I would like to. Always bottle it. Have walked past a few times and even saw @stuartberttwohats last term maybe next year I'll make it. Some of you are pretty cool.

You should have said hello, I would have been overjoyed. Ever since I realised that you almost certainly aren't actually Uma Thurman (more than a year after you started posting!), I've been curious what you actually look like, if for no other reason than those few minutes of discombobulatation you get when you meet someone who doesn't look how you imagine them - since you're basically your static profile picture in my head, maybe listening to a Nick Cave record instead of the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Anyway, if you ever see someone wearing a 9.Pablo Honey t-shirt and more hats than are good for him, then say hello. Preferably at the meet!

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah thank you :) And you. If it helps I have a very similar haircut, although I don't smoke cigarettes any more.

First few years I went was always in a big group of mates and Wednesday was very much a group day so never felt like I could peel off to the meet. Now it's just me and the other half and a couple of other friends we will meet up with down there so maybe this is the time to pop by for a pint.

Sadly Neil insists that nobody wants a Thursday meet, when it's clearly the best day to meet up with folk from t'interweb. Wednesday can be so rushed, being arrival day.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You should have said hello, I would have been overjoyed. Ever since I realised that you almost certainly aren't actually Uma Thurman (more than a year after you started posting!), I've been curious what you actually look like, if for no other reason than those few minutes of discombobulatation you get when you meet someone who doesn't look how you imagine them - since you're basically your static profile picture in my head, maybe listening to a Nick Cave record instead of the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

Anyway, if you ever see someone wearing a 9.Pablo Honey t-shirt and more hats than are good for him, then say hello. Preferably at the meet!

Ha yeah I recognised you from the 9. Pablo Honey t-shirt! :) Also your avatar used to be of you I think.

My first two avatars were of Nick Cave, one a painting on a compost loo, so I'm a bit more along the right lines now... although certainly not Uma Thurman.

Sadly two of my favourite posters from back in the day have gone AWOL, but I don't think they ever made the meet anyway :(

Thursday would be better for me yeah. By the time I'm in and set up on Wednesday I'm walking around like a kid at Christmas the rest of the day...

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha yeah I recognised you from the 9. Pablo Honey t-shirt! :) Also your avatar used to be of you I think.

My first two avatars were of Nick Cave, one a painting on a compost loo, so I'm a bit more along the right lines now... although certainly not Uma Thurman.

Sadly two of my favourite posters from back in the day have gone AWOL, but I don't think they ever made the meet anyway :(

Thursday would be better for me yeah. By the time I'm in and set up on Wednesday I'm walking around like a kid at Christmas the rest of the day...

Unfortunately the "2 hats" thing is more common than you might imagine. And @GETOFFAMYLAWN did tell me off for "only having one t-shirt" when he ran into me wearing it in Manchester as well at twice at Glasto, so I'll have to find another gimmick.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I thought you were little Kylie getting a pic taken with Lord cave for years!

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just read this whole thread and wanted to give a big shout out in the absence of any more upvotes to @H.M.V and @MetaKateand all the other women who have shared their stories here. Big love and solidarity to you all. I'm 35 years old, have been sexually assaulted seriously once (whatever that means) but in minor ways more times than I count, including plenty of verbal harassment. Some of these happened at gigs, which is heartbreaking, sometimes on public transport, sometimes walking home, the list goes on... we all know though. I don't have a female friend who hasn't been assaulted in some way or other. You just learn from a young age to keep an eye out and keep your guard up and so on and so forth but it still happens. You wouldn't really believe that some of the scum that's out there exist until you meet one of them.

I've never been to a meet but I would like to. Always bottle it. Have walked past a few times and even saw @stuartbert two hats last time... maybe next year I'll make it. Some of you are pretty cool.

❤ I hope to make the meet this year, its just so difficult on the Wednesday to do anything other than explore!

I chickened out of coming to the last meet, partly because of introversion and also because I’d made the disasterous decision to promise everyone ciders if the Foos played Frome. 

I’d really like to be there in 2019 though. Still too introverted for a group camp even though I go solo, but you’re a fine bunch of humans and your company would be my pleasure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I chickened out of coming to the last meet, partly because of introversion and also because I’d made the disasterous decision to promise everyone ciders if the Foos played Frome. 

I’d really like to be there in 2019 though. Still too introverted for a group camp even though I go solo, but you’re a fine bunch of humans and your company would be my pleasure. 

I too am quite introverted @kalifire, and went solo last year. I did go along to the meet, and nobody bit me... in the main they’re quite a decent bunch! Beware @Curlygirl ‘s cherry bake well vodka though!

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

Sorry to hear that the "owe everyone a cider" thing was genuinely stopping you from coming. I don't think anyone would have actually held you to it! Hope you can make it next time.

I've also chickened out of the meet the last couple of years. However IF I manage to get a ticket in the resale there's a decent chance I'll be camping solo (mates will be in TF and it's likely to be full by then), so hopefully that'll encourage me to come along. In particular I definitely owe @Woffy a pint or two for responding to me on twitter when I'm drunk and talking politics

This thread has been like therapy. Nice to see most forum members have the same attitude about equality. As a new poster, I’m still a bit scared to have too strong an opinion in case of getting roasted so I’m also grateful for @H.M.V and @MetaKatefor having our backs. A certain joke is now stricktly removed from my newbie in-jokes list. 

There was one other in joke that I noticed that I didn’t understand which was FTFY?! ?

I will try and make the meet but I think we will be onsite later on the Wednesday so it depends how long it goes on for.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

This thread has been like therapy. Nice to see most forum members have the same attitude about equality. As a new poster, I’m still a bit scared to have too strong an opinion in case of getting roasted so I’m also grateful for @H.M.V and @MetaKatefor having our backs. A certain joke is now stricktly removed from my newbie in-jokes list. 

There was one other in joke that I noticed that I didn’t understand which was FTFY?! ?

I will try and make the meet but I think we will be onsite later on the Wednesday so it depends how long it goes on for.

Welcome :)

FTFY as far as I know is broader internet slang for Fixed That For You, often accompanied by a wink. People use it when they edit someone else's quote to say something they think it should say in a jokey way.

There's a few in jokes I don't get either and I've been here for years so don't worry! Quite a lot of users have met in real life so to speak so have shared references.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d love to come to the meet, like others I’ve chickened out before. Sadly I’m on a Thursday coach this year so it’s a moot point anyway.

There's usually a Thursday meet too. It's under the auspices of an NFR meet, but it's essentially the Thursday eFesters meet. It's not as mad busy as the main one, so maybe a lower pressure way to come and say hello?