How steep is that hill leading to WV?

angelin

I feel i need to know before Saturday. Is it the hill where Joe Strummer is? Whats the plus points of staying there besides car parking? Is it possible to arrive by coach and walk all the way there with all your gear? Weve done Tangerine Fields before and that soon wore thin having to find our tickets in and out. We’ve done the pyramid at least ten times and recently weve spent more time time in the Park and, as we are getting old and creaky we are thinking WV might be a good idea. One of us will be on public transport though. I woukd love to hear your honest reviews. Thanks!

The serious answer. 

The hill past Strummerville is worse than the steps to Worthy View though I am fit so it doesn't bother me. 

The ticket thing doesn't matter, you have a wristband. 

Showers are a godsend but always go before 9.

There's a shuttle bus from the drop off but yes you can also walk across site but it will take you over an hour if you are carting a load of stuff. 

Done Worthy View twice and definitely going back. 

I’ve stayed there a couple of times -  a lot quieter than normal camping so I get a better nights sleep (helps a lot at my age).

Yes the way up is by strummerville and up a further hill which is as steep but with wide steps. You’re out of breath at the top but it only takes a few minutes (I would also say I’m quite fit so never found it a problem).

Ive used the hot showers too which also perks you up on a hangover. It’s just a bit more civilised but if you like being in the mix then maybe not for you. It’s not as social as the tents all face in one direction so not much opportunity to chat to your neighbours.

Parking right next to the campsite is a massive advantage, you can get the coach but it’s a fair old trek across site to get over there.

26 minutes ago, angelin said:

I feel i need to know before Saturday. Is it the hill where Joe Strummer is? Whats the plus points of staying there besides car parking? Is it possible to arrive by coach and walk all the way there with all your gear? Weve done Tangerine Fields before and that soon wore thin having to find our tickets in and out. We’ve done the pyramid at least ten times and recently weve spent more time time in the Park and, as we are getting old and creaky we are thinking WV might be a good idea. One of us will be on public transport though. I woukd love to hear your honest reviews. Thanks!

Stayed there 4 times. Got the coach once and just get the shuttle from the main coach park straight to WV (if busy you may need to wait a bit but 20-40 mins max). Don’t walk.

Hill is fine with hand rail and not too steep an incline. Even in bad weather (2016) it was fine. Worse on the way down as a bit slippy then back up. I only went back once in the day max other than back there at night. If you want multiple trips back to tent in the day it’d probably get a bit much.

Showers are fine if you’re an early bird like me - expect queues at peak times. 

Always felt safe there. No trouble or too much noise so easy to get sleep.

Quick no traffic escape on Sun eve or Monday depending on when you want to leave.

I actively enjoy walking up that hill. In comfortable footwear, working off some of the thousands of calories consumed that day, sobering yourself up a bit... then the view on the top? Fingers crossed for Saturday. Though i’ll be happy just being back on the farm full stop.

The walk up the hill is fine. Only done it once and the win 2016 when the conditions were a tad awkward. As for eateries etc, there is a little village green type area before you head down the path. There is a bar, food and coffee stalls, with a couple more coffee/bacon roll type vans in the fields. The view from the bar area particularly at night is really quite something.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Good cheese toasties at the top of WV but the staff always acted like they were off their heads. Still, a nice pre-bed snack.

Haha, that's absolutely true. I remember grabbing a roll on the Monday morning one year and they'd all clearly been up and 'on it' all night 

12 hours ago, angelin said:

VERY! haha but there are hand rails and steps been put in so its nowhere near as bad as it once was. If you fit and healthy it is not an issue at all. If you aren't then it could be a pain in the ass but still manageable. 

2 minutes ago, Havors said:

VERY! haha but there are hand rails and steps been put in so its nowhere near as bad as it once was. If you fit and healthy it is not an issue at all. If you aren't then it could be a pain in the ass but still manageable. 

The only time I found it unmanageable was after Radiohead last year. Although admittedly I was in such a state I was struggling with going downhill, or flat ground.

I'm taking a newbie with me this year, and he is NOT a camper (it's taken me over 10 years to convince him to come to Glasto). He's seriously proposing WV, whereas I've never considered it previously. Anyone able to advise on pro's and con's, given the prices, i.e. is it generally considered good value?

Many thanks!

13 hours ago, angelin said:

Doooomed you'll be Doooomed 

Worth View

PROS 

Majority of our group come down from Scotland, earliest we get to the farm is Wednesday late afternoon/early evening (traffic depedening) so there's a huge benefit in knowing you have your spot, your tent set up and your mate's tent next to you. Takes away all the stress at the end of a long journey. 

The bell tents (which we book) are a good size and comfortably sleep 6 to 8 people with space inside for sitting if the weather's not great. They're well ventilated so you don't find yourself waking up sweating if it is warm and sunny. 

The tents are well spaced out so there was plenty of room of 12-16 to sit outside together having a beer without encroaching on other people's space. 

It's relatively quiet at night so it's easy enough to get a kip. 

The view of the site you get as you approach the top of the stairs down is amazing, great way to start the festival. 

If you're a fan of The Park Stage/area then it's ideal once you pass Strummerville you can take a shortcut behind the tipis to get there.

CONS

Aside from the duck egg omelettes I mentioned above I'd agree with @Hugh Jassthat the food options aren't great. Don't think I've ever bothered getting anything from the main food bit at the top of the hill.

The hill isn't as bad as its sometimes made out, but it will put you off going back to the tent unless you're finished for the day or absolutely have to go back. This means you need to be prepared that when you're down at the site, you're pretty much down for the day. 'Nipping back to the tent' isn't really an option given the slog. This isn't much of a problem if the weather is like 2017 and you can drop down wherever you like and chill out but in 2016 it was tough going. 

If there's something on at JPT you want to see at the start of the day you need to be leaving early to make the journey up there from WV. 

For me the pros outweigh the cons. We stayed in Tangerine Fields last year and I thought WV was much better. In terms of value for money if you're there Wed to Mon I think it's decent.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

27 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

I'm taking a newbie with me this year, and he is NOT a camper (it's taken me over 10 years to convince him to come to Glasto). He's seriously proposing WV, whereas I've never considered it previously. Anyone able to advise on pro's and con's, given the prices, i.e. is it generally considered good value?

Many thanks!

The Pro's.

The car park. If you are driving this is a major league plus. The parking is literally over the road from the campsite so minimal lugging of supplies and queuing is required. 

Having a pre-pitched tent also takes the stress out of Wednesday you can rock up at any time knowing you are not competing with thousands of others for your preferred camping spot.

The accommodation is pretty good. I've stayed in the bell tents before and they were great and the scout tents look both sturdy and roomy.

Both a pro and a con is the location. Pro, it's on the south side so you are only a short walk away from the SE Corner, Glade and Avalon. Also Strummerville can be found on the return journey for a sit down before completing your climb. The con, is that the camp is outside the fence. As nice as WV is (and I'm trying again this year) you do notice and if you get too comfy you may miss out on valuable bimbling time. If you decide to go for WV then definitely make the effort to leave early and gt yourself into the main festival.

Is it value for money, for the convenience and removal of day one  and five stress I'd say yes. Just don't get too settled in and miss the festival!

13 hours ago, angelin said:

I've not been up the hill since 2010, apparently steps and a hand rail have been put in since then. If you're an unfit 50+ year old like me it can be a struggle but nothing too bad if you take your time.

The only really bad one was Monday morning when I was carrying all my camping gear back up to where mates where staying/parked. Nearly killed me!

Anyway:

Lovely view :)

6350049_orig.jpg

Two other pros IMO are:

- the lack of queues to get in, we walked straight in around 10am in 2016 (with none of the traffic chaos whatsoever that the general carparks/roads faced). Queued for about 10mins on Wednesday afternoon in 2017.

- showers. I can barely function on a normal day without a hot shower, let alone after being "on it" the night before. Queues can be big after 10am, but the men's move pretty quickly, and you can always use the time queuing to have a coffee/can/chat.

Thanks all for your contributions - as mentioned I really hadn't ever given WV a fair consideration, however given the Pro's stated I am now quite tempted. I'm an early bird anyways so shower queuing shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I can hold off on the food front until I get to the main festival sight itself. The lack of a queue to get in on the Weds is also a massive plus, along with not having to find a spot and pitch manually. I guess I'm curious too to try it out as an option after slumming it in various fields over the years! I'm assuming the accommodation sale is akin to ticket day in terms of business? I've been looking at the basic podpads (the huts?) - can anyone advise on these?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

The only time I found it unmanageable was after Radiohead last year. Although admittedly I was in such a state I was struggling with going downhill, or flat ground.

Haha I only remember going up once... on the thrusday morning 7am after the stone cirlce... the other nights I have no idea how or what time I went back up. It's a blur.