How steep is that hill leading to WV?

angelin

What are the 2 man scout tents like? Does the porch area have a ground sheet?

I am quite attached to my own tent, I can stand up in it which does make getting ready for the day a bit easier. 

Also tempted by WV but don’t want to spend a fortune on one of the bigger tents. 

Just now, djdavejohnson said:

Thanks all for your contributions - as mentioned I really hadn't ever given WV a fair consideration, however given the Pro's stated I am now quite tempted. I'm an early bird anyways so shower queuing shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I can hold off on the food front until I get to the main festival sight itself. The lack of a queue to get in on the Weds is also a massive plus, along with not having to find a spot and pitch manually. I guess I'm curious too to try it out as an option after slumming it in various fields over the years! I'm assuming the accommodation sale is akin to ticket day in terms of business? I've been looking at the basic podpads (the huts?) - can anyone advise on these?

The no traffic or queue to get in, coupled with minimal distance to carry your stuff is the biggest plus point. Add to that hot showers and good toilets its a no brainer. I have a bad feeling there are going to be a LOT more people trying to book WV this year though... I just hope I can get on quick enough and book. 

Just now, Skoo said:

I am quite attached to my own tent, I can stand up in it which does make getting ready for the day a bit easier. 

Also tempted by WV but don’t want to spend a fortune on one of the bigger tents. 

You cant stand up. They fit 2 people quite comfortably but snug. We always book a the next tent up in size. 3 of us in 4 mans, 4 of us 6 mans... the space is needed. 

20 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Two other pros IMO are:

- the lack of queues to get in, we walked straight in around 10am in 2016 (with none of the traffic chaos whatsoever that the general carparks/roads faced). Queued for about 10mins on Wednesday afternoon in 2017.

- showers. I can barely function on a normal day without a hot shower, let alone after being "on it" the night before. Queues can be big after 10am, but the men's move pretty quickly, and you can always use the time queuing to have a coffee/can/chat.

Showers is a really good one too actually, should have been on my list. 

Also portaloos. With the right combination of good planning and timing it's possible when staying at WV to avoid the use of long drops for anything other than peeing.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles
Fkd up my 'with/without'

32 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Thanks all for your contributions - as mentioned I really hadn't ever given WV a fair consideration, however given the Pro's stated I am now quite tempted. I'm an early bird anyways so shower queuing shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I can hold off on the food front until I get to the main festival sight itself. The lack of a queue to get in on the Weds is also a massive plus, along with not having to find a spot and pitch manually. I guess I'm curious too to try it out as an option after slumming it in various fields over the years! I'm assuming the accommodation sale is akin to ticket day in terms of business? I've been looking at the basic podpads (the huts?) - can anyone advise on these?

I stayed in a 2 person pod in my first year, it was nice to be off the floor, though bed not very wide. They sell like hot cakes though so need to be right on the ball to bag one. Considering a 4 person one this year as got the kids with me. Didn't find the hill too bad, however this time I know will be more of a struggle due to health so still in 2 minds.

56 minutes ago, Skoo said:

There’s no ground sheet in the porch area in the 2 mans. This was a change from the tent we used to take before we stayed at WV, and took some getting used to - layered it with a couple of bin bags to stand our wellies on overnight. 

And yes they are snug but not unmanageable and we had proper blow up camp beds with a frame in ours last time. 

4 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

There’s no ground sheet in the porch area in the 2 mans. This was a change from the tent we used to take before we stayed at WV, and took some getting used to - layered it with a couple of bin bags to stand our wellies on overnight. 

And yes they are snug but not unmanageable and we had proper blow up camp beds with a frame in ours last time. 

Thanks for that. I suppose you could bring your own groundsheet and peg it in if you wanted to. 

Note on the showers... The queue for blokes wasn't too bad... Think I was in it 10 minutes tops (around 8:30am) but the girls queue took a good while longer. I was waiting on my daughter, who was still queuing when I got out. Didn't time it, but I'd say she was around an hour in total queuing and showering.

1 minute ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Note on the showers... The queue for blokes wasn't too bad... Think I was in it 10 minutes tops (around 8:30am) but the girls queue took a good while longer. I was waiting on my daughter, who was still queuing when I got out. Didn't time it, but I'd say she was around an hour in total queuing and showering.

An hour's queuing is an hour wasted in my opinion!  I don't think I've ever had a shower at a festival, but then I know I'm a mucky cow!

Just now, Beerqueen said:

An hour's queuing is an hour wasted in my opinion!  I don't think I've ever had a shower at a festival, but then I know I'm a mucky cow!

I agree (it's an hour wasted .  Not that you're a mucky cow) so we reverted to wet wipes after Day 1. Worth bearing in mind if you're paying the extra in hope of regular hot showers

The hill before the WV hill is much harder as it is quite a narrow, and sometimes muddy, path. How quiet it is in your tent depends on where you are. The year we stayed we were in the last row of tents overlooking the main festival and it was pretty loud and on a slope.

Going back during the day is a pain in the proverbial so take your evening clobber with you in the morning and leave it in a lock up nearest to where you think you will be or Pennards then you can layer yourself up without carrying it all day.

Also take something to attach to your tent so you can identify it when "tired" as they really all do look alike ?

22 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Also take something to attach to your tent so you can identify it when "tired" as they really all do look alike ?

They do indeed, I came back one night last year in a state of such extreme “tiredness” that I tried to get into next doors tent, 2 very alarmed girls told me it wasn’t my tent. I apologised, alighted and got in my own tent. I awoke the next morning, still extremely “tired” and noticed my bag, with lots of stuff I really didn’t want to lose, was missing. Shit, I thought. Quick look round. Nothing. I then trudged the mile or so to lost property, still very “tired” but to no avail. Trudged back to WV, up the hill and back to my tent, outside of which was my bag....!! The 2 girls next door must have woken up, found a random bag inside their tent and threw it outside. 

Take a tent marker?

£7 will buy you some solar lights on a string. Arrange them in a discreet but recognisable pattern by taping some of them up or the like.

They aren't bright enough to disturb anyone ( as long as you don't put them on flash!) But can be a good marker.

Or if you leave in the evening tie on an 8hr chemical light stick.

48 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Any tent marker needs to be reasonably unobtrusive (stupid I know) but they don't let you fly/attach flags etc. (At least in 2016). Worth a check beforehand 

I have had a 9 metre pole with a dragon windsock on it every year at Worthy View since it started.

The climb up the steps isn't too bad if you're reasonably fit and not too pissed.  The tricky bit is the slope just after the entrance that leads down to the tipi field.  

As has already been said the main plus is that your tent is already up and parking is reasonably close so no real lugging and no stressing.   The main negative is that it's a pain to make return visits during the fest so once you're on site for the day you really can't nip back for anything without it being a chore.  The food options up there aren't really worth bothering with.  Take something to make a brew like a gas hob if you need something first thing but otherwise don't bother.   The showers are alright for males as there's hardly a queue.  The females showers have a humongous queue after 8am.  It's communal changing too so be warned if that's not your bag.

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I was shocked in 2017 when I could basically run up the slight incline!

Oy! Off to the Get Fit for Glastonbury thread with you!

3 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

The climb up the steps isn't too bad if you're...not too pissed.

Gah!