Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 minute ago, Comfy Bean said:

I was just pulling your leg ? 

I remember you being critical of the praise Harry Kane gets in the past so have always sensed that Spurs weren’t your thing.

To be clear I’m no fan of Kane either. I sometimes manage a full day without thinking about his injury time equaliser at Hampden. Happened right in front of me. One of those that I “knew” he’d score while the ball was still in the air coming towards him. 

I just think Spurs get a free ride from the media. The way the media have reported the league seasons of spurs and Chelsea who have almost the same points is a stretch in my view. I appreciate Spurs have achieved it with less money, but on the pitch both have had ups and downs.  I don’t really feel strongly for or against the team, but just find the media darlings thing a little annoying!

Like you I have bad memories of England injury time goals, but this time it was Daniel Sturridge (what has he done since) and this was a winner. Then again we won the group and did slightly better in the tournament overall so I got over it! I don’t remember Kane playing (although I assume he didn’t) in that game, so he doesn’t have the same bad memories!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I just think Spurs get a free ride from the media. The way the media have reported the league seasons of spurs and Chelsea who have almost the same points is a stretch in my view. I appreciate Spurs have achieved it with less money, but on the pitch both have had ups and downs.  I don’t really feel strongly for or against the team, but just find the media darlings thing a little annoying!

You've half answered the reasons why they are given a better go of it by the media. Spurs and Chelsea are not the same and thus it shoudnt be surprising that they are viewed differently when judging the successes and failures of their seasons. 

If United finished on the same points as say Bournemouth you wouldn't expect the response to the two teams to be the same. Why do you expect it for Chelsea and Spurs?

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am not giving it billy big balls, just pointing out some observations. Need need to get all uptight. It is not over till its over. Yes I have always maintained I think City will win it but there will be nothing premature coming from me.

When have Scousers ever been known to have been gracious?

When has any football fanbase ever been gracious about rivals?

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

You've half answered the reasons why they are given a better go of it by the media. Spurs and Chelsea are not the same and thus it shoudnt be surprising that they are viewed differently when judging the successes and failures of their seasons. 

If United finished on the same points as say Bournemouth you wouldn't expect the response to the two teams to be the same. Why do you expect it for Chelsea and Spurs?

Aye. This is how I see it with Spurs. Over performing in the champs league and the Prem, relatively speaking when compared to Chelsea.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I am not giving it billy big balls, just pointing out some observations. Need need to get all uptight. It is not over till its over. Yes I have always maintained I think City will win it but there will be nothing premature coming from me.

When have Scousers ever been known to have been gracious?

I think you'll find a fair few are. 

My last post on here even commented how whoever wins it deserves too. Be it City or Liverpool. Liverpool have had a superb season, but City are a juggernaut. If we come through I wouldn't say we lost it, more that City won it. I genuinely thought City would crack under pressure as they've never really faced it in recent years apart from in Europe, but you've ploughed on. Even after the Spurs game, I thought that doubts but set in but you've ground out results. Two games left and in all likelihood it'll go the the last game, for us to be there is an achievement. I'll be gutted if we don't win it as we could have taken advantage after the Newcastle defeat, but we didn't and it's decided over 38 games not 1. 

Let's see how it plays out over the next two weeks, but City have clear advantage with the lead and the extra rest. It's been some season. 

(And on a separate note: congrats on the ticket!)

Edited by vintagelaureate

18 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I think you'll find a fair few are. 

My last post on here even commented how whoever wins it deserves too. Be it City or Liverpool. Liverpool have had a superb season, but City are a juggernaut. If we come through I wouldn't say we lost it, more that City won it. I genuinely thought City would crack under pressure as they've never really faced it in recent years apart from in Europe, but you've ploughed on. Even after the Spurs game, I thought that doubts but set in but you've ground out results. Two games left and in all likelihood it'll go the the last game, for us to be there is an achievement. I'll be gutted if we don't win it as we could have taken advantage after the Newcastle defeat, but we didn't and it's decided over 38 games not 1. 

Let's see how it plays out over the next two weeks, but City have clear advantage with the lead and the extra rest. It's been some season. 

(And on a separate note: congrats on the ticket!)

The Saturday night up in Newcastle coming after Barcelona in midweek is a big ask. I hope Liverpool take it to the last day.

7 hours ago, mjsell said:

I don't expect it to be the same, but in some ways I think it goes beyond what you say. All 4 teams chasing those last 2 places have consistently dropped points to clubs with less resources in recent weeks. 3 are described as choking and 1 isn't. Over the season the media give the impression that Spurs have been better than the other 3, I don't feel there has been much difference.

10 hours ago, eastynh said:

Can't wait to see what meme they come up with if City win their next 2 games. Just think, if Liverpool had not blew a 7 point lead, they would not need favours from elsewhere.

just think, if City hadn't blown a lead then Liverpool would never have been 7 points ahead. :rolleyes: 

Season is 38 games, and tens of thousands of important moments.

Just because you didn't know. :P 

if you didn't know and looked at Blue moon, their is a football conspiracy against them. quite hilarious reading.

anyway ....weekend sets up a tasty Villa vs Leeds playoff final ...... whispers 'play to the whistle'

Edited by pryce

As a Leeds fan I am of course massively biased but yesterdays events were brilliant entertainment were they not?!

I still don't know which side of the fence I sit on however.

Morally wrong... perhaps. Officially wrong... no.

It's a difficult one isn't it. I would have loved to know if the eventual outcome would have been the same had that game had more relevance in the who goes up automatically situation!

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

As a Leeds fan I am of course massively biased but yesterdays events were brilliant entertainment were they not?!

It's a difficult one isn't it. I would have loved to know if the eventual outcome would have been the same had that game had more relevance in the who goes up automatically situation!

it was hilarious, and same thoughts as you...Bamfords dive didn't help the situation, not sure what he was thinking

The first thing I thought when I heard there was controversy involving Leeds, was that it was Leeds fault (that's probably unfair but it's true).

The player passing it down the line looks like he slows down before kicking it, suggesting to everyone playing (except the striker) that the play has finished and there's going to be some kind of stoppage. But the striker being a striker has only one thought in his mind and that is to score. So I think everyone has done what they would do in that situation and it's not really anyone's fault just a bizarre set of circumstances. 

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Absolute mayhem. Crazy scenes. The Prem needs Bielsa and Leeds. That combination is blockbuster.

57 minutes ago, santowhir said:

The first thing I thought when I heard there was controversy involving Leeds, was that it was Leeds fault (that's probably unfair but it's true).

The player passing it down the line looks like he slows down before kicking it, suggesting to everyone playing (except the striker) that the play has finished and there's going to be some kind of stoppage. But the striker being a striker has only one thought in his mind and that is to score. So I think everyone has done what they would do in that situation and it's not really anyone's fault just a bizarre set of circumstances. 

He put his hand up to stop the Villa players pressing, a common thing done when you're going to put the ball out. So he has done something wrong, and he apologised for it afterwards. Like JoeyT said, not wrong by the rules, but that chance only came about by doing something morally wrong. The goal occurred because the Villa players were out of position due to the (fair) belief that the ball was being put out. Bielsa realised this and ordered his team to do the right thing and even it up. Ultimately, 3 different Leeds players did something wrong (surely there can be no debate over whether or not Bamford and Jansson's actions were wrong) so it's fair to say it was Leeds' fault. A couple of Villa players could've been calmer in their reaction for sure, but they were right to be angry and didn't cross the line (despite Bamford's horrible attempt to make it appear so).

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I suggest you take a look at the overwhelming comment in any place discussing City/Liverpool. :rolleyes: 

Rather than what bluemoon tells you is going on but isn't.

I am basing that comment on my own experience of dealing with Scousers at football rather than Bluemoon. No offence Neil but I would hazard a guess that I have had more dealings with Scousers over the years than a bloke who lives in Bristol like yourself. 

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I am basing that comment on my own experience of dealing with Scousers at football rather than Bluemoon. No offence Neil but I would hazard a guess that I have had more dealings with Scousers over the years than a bloke who lives in Bristol like yourself. 

did you know the internet is an amazing thing which allows you to read stuff in any place you fancy from anywhere in the world? :D 

As I say, if you look anywhere where City/Liverpool is discussed you'll see little dissing of City by Liverpool fans (tho there's always some) and lots of "fair play to City if they win it, they've been fantastic".

51 minutes ago, pryce said:

final game of the season decision to make

Milton Keynes vs Mansfield, winner gets promoted

or

Solihull moors playoff semifinal

which ever I choose the other will be a 4-3 game

My limited experience of Solihull is that they are a well organized team who are tall and very physical. Not pretty to watch, but it's been effective for them. I think they will probably play Fylde and lose in the semi. If it was me I would go to the league 2 game!

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't expect it to be the same, but in some ways I think it goes beyond what you say. All 4 teams chasing those last 2 places have consistently dropped points to clubs with less resources in recent weeks. 3 are described as choking and 1 isn't. Over the season the media give the impression that Spurs have been better than the other 3, I don't feel there has been much difference.

As already said, it's because Spurs were already over-performing considering the relative amounts of money spent.

Spurs' record signing is £36m, Chelsea's is almost double at £71m. It's really not that complicated.

They've also started dropping points as players have become injured and their resources have become stretched (see again: how much money they have spent).

Edited by Homer

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

As already said, it's because Spurs were already over-performing considering the relative amounts of money spent.

Spurs' record signing is £36m, Chelsea's is almost double at £71m. It's really not that complicated.

They've also started dropping points as players have become injured and their resources have become stretched (see again: how much money they have spent).

Spurs are also competing on in two top-tier competitions, with a squad full of players who had very little in the very of pre-season from playing to the end of the World Cup. Chelsea have been able to field a pretty much entire second string team to get through the Europa League, and look like they'll just about make it.

Chelsea are in a horrible decline which started when Conte went awol and has continued well into this season. At least we managed to win the cup last year and hopefully, we'll make the Europa final this year too and end the season with some silverware. We're only heading in one direction though and it certainly isn't towards PL / CL title contenders.