Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

Compare the treatment Spurs are getting in the media, to the one Arsenal got in the post-Highbury era. Arsenal were getting criticised for not competing at the very top, not showing enough ambition, bottling it, for finishing 3rd/4th. Spurs are doing fairly equivalently, with a fairly equivalent proportional budget, etc.

I don't think PT is wrong to say that the media are treating Spurs much more generously than their rivals.

18 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Spurs signed no new players and will (probably) finish ahead of their London neighbors whilst moving into one of the best new stadia in the world where they host a CL semi they should win. A bit good.

This. Seasons not over for spurs yet and it's hard to say that it's been a bad one. Champ league semi finals and 3rd in the league is excellent in the circumstances 

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Compare the treatment Spurs are getting in the media, to the one Arsenal got in the post-Highbury era. Arsenal were getting criticised for not competing at the very top, not showing enough ambition, bottling it, for finishing 3rd/4th. Spurs are doing fairly equivalently, with a fairly equivalent proportional budget, etc.

I don't think PT is wrong to say that the media are treating Spurs much more generously than their rivals.

You are being swayed by the media coverage arsenal got in the last few years of Wengers reign. 

The first couple of years after opening the Emirates it was nothing of the sort. 

7 hours ago, Homer said:

As already said, it's because Spurs were already over-performing considering the relative amounts of money spent.

I think it's partly that, but not completely. The way the media has reported on Spurs performances have suggested both a value for money and absolute difference to the other teams. I don't believe the league table reflects the absolute difference that the media suggest. Also the standard of Spurs football is massively exaggerated which I think has nothing to do with resources.

If it was purely related to resources then why aren't Liverpool and City treated differently. I see very little allowance for the fact Liverpool have a lesser wage bill. When either team win or lose they are treated very similar.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

This Ajax team are a joy to watch. Hope they win the tournament before it gets broken apart.

Haven't seen anything of them up until now. Wasnt that impressed if I'm honest. Thought it was an incredibly poor quality champions league semi final - and would expect either team to be dispatched comfortably in the final if they played to a similar level. 

Edited by mjsell

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Haven't seen anything of them up until now. Wasnt that impressed if I'm honest. Thought it was an incredibly poor quality champions league semi final - and would expect either team to be dispatch comfortably in the final if they played to a similar level. 

I commented directly after the goal. Up until that point they were a great watch.

18 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I commented directly after the goal. Up until that point they were a great watch.

They were playing some nice passing football, but Spurs made it so so easy for them in that first 25/30 minutes. But as soon as a bit of pressure was applied most of the passing fell to pieces. 

Like I said not a great quality of game - Atmosphere was top notch though. Really impressed with that stadium - Spurs have been really fortunate with the timing of moving in so close to the clubs biggest games - but fair play to them. 

Ajax have beaten Real Madrid, Juventus and Spurs away from home in the Champions League knock outs.

Under Rodgers, Liverpool lost to Basel and got knocked out at the group stages.

Edited by jyoung

8 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Ajax have beaten Real Madrid, Juventus and Spurs away from home in the Champions League knock outs.

Under Rodgers, Liverpool lost to Basel and got knocked out at the group stages.

Unbeaten in the group stage. Played Bayern twice. Going for league, scored 111 goals doing so, in the cup final, 3 or 4 of their best players are very young. De Light is 19, van de Beek 22 etc

They've a really nice mix of youth and experience.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Unbeaten in the group stage. Played Bayern twice. Going for league, scored 111 goals doing so, in the cup final, 3 or 4 of their best players are very young. De Light is 19, van de Beek 22 etc

They've a really nice mix of youth and experience.

Heard that Mino Raiola is De Ligt's agent. Could impact any potential move the lad makes this summer?

If I were De Ligt, I'd be hoping Barca offer the chance to link up with de Jong but Raiola seems to enjoy rinsing United for their millions.

This isn't a dig just at Liverpool fans but as an English person that loves to travel to these places like Barcelona its just infuriating how moronic some of our population is. Would you just pick some old guy off the street and chuck him in a fountain in this country?

Edited by lost