Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Trolls on 'ere mate.

I called you a liar yesterday - what gives? ?

I give it out mate so I expect to take it.

I also know you have a mischievous side to you . I know that I was not lying but just could not be arsed crawling through pages on a thread trying to find a screen print of tickets being sold on the Liverpool website, the day before the game. 

GFY is a bit strong imo. Just agree to disagree and move on. You had made your point and you were correct in what you were saying. You just went a bit Roy Keane at the end there.

He's a Corkonian, they eat their own young down there. You were spouting utter codswollop about tickets tho chief, just sos we're clear. Whatever trash you were reading was incorrect. If only tickets were freely available. Im still in the mid-20,000's on the seasie list for Anfield and have been on it for nearly 20 years.

12 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

He's a Corkonian, they eat their own young down there. You were spouting utter codswollop about tickets tho chief, just sos we're clear. Whatever trash you were reading was incorrect. If only tickets were freely available. Im still in the mid-20,000's on the seasie list for Anfield and have been on it for nearly 20 years.

They have a weird system at Anfield don’t they? My boss can’t get a premier league ticket for love or money, champions league though he goes home and away. Do they have 2 different systems?

uniteds way is a scam though, if you have a season ticket you have to have the cup tickets and money taken automatically. No matter if you can go or not, fans shafted as usual. 

Edited by thetime

The prem is much more competitive than it was 20 years ago. Only Arsenal and United won it for 9 years in a row between 1995 and 2004.

I really don't understand the worry about the state of the league. There are 6 teams capable of winning the league (bar a Leicester style miracle) each season if they invest correctly and have luck on their side. This is much more competitive than the prem has been in the past.  

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I looked, and a lot of the time I had trouble realising he was on the pitch. ;) 

When he's good he's very good, but he's also very good at doing anonymous.

You missed more goals + assists and man of the match performances than any other PL player then ;)

I get what you're saying but almost all of the attacking players in the league have had their dry patches.

21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Peeps won't care when the PFA team of the year is City's first XI. But I can tell you now that that is a problem.

People thought the same level of dominance would happen with Chelsea when they initially had all their investment - it didn't 

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

The less popular clubs in the prem at the moment will gain fan bases if they manage to establish themselves in the prem for years to come. 

Thats more about being a gloryhunter than a football fan isn't it?

Personally I've got a lot more respect for the people who follow clubs with no great prospect of trophies than someone with a remote control who latches on to "big" clubs.Most places have a team that they can support from the Premiership to the Conference.

28 minutes ago, Lad said:

Dunno about that.

I've loved watching Wolves this season, who've played (sometimes) with a flair others (outside the top) haven't got close to.

As I'm not "a fan" of any Prem club I tend to watch the teams who play the football I like, and that changes as teams change style.  It's not like they have to be winning stuff, I watched Arsenal thru most of those dry (but still good football) Wenger years.

I'm thinking there's a good chance that Wolves will improve some more over coming seasons, and (unlikely but possible) might pick up some silverware - but that's not why I watch them; I watch them because I enjoy what I watch (more than I do many other teams), whether they win or lose.

For me it's about the football not about the glory.

31 minutes ago, Lad said:

Personally I've got a lot more respect for the people who follow clubs with no great prospect of trophies than someone with a remote control who latches on to "big" clubs.Most places have a team that they can support from the Premiership to the Conference.

All clubs have to start somewhere and build up a fan base organically. All the big clubs who have fell off recently only have a big fan base because of their past success. 

I don't see a fan who picks a successful team as a gloryhunter. I would say a gloryhunter is someone who keeps switching the team they support based on who's playing better at the time. 

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

The prem is much more competitive than it was 20 years ago. Only Arsenal and United won it for 9 years in a row between 1995 and 2004.

I really don't understand the worry about the state of the league. There are 6 teams capable of winning the league (bar a Leicester style miracle) each season if they invest correctly and have luck on their side. This is much more competitive than the prem has been in the past.  

I think that Leicester season was a bit of a freak season which skews comparison to some extent. Taking that season out we have only had Chelsea, city and man u winning in recent times, which isn't a significant difference from the 2 who dominated previously.

I do take your point there are more teams challenging, although I struggle to see even with luck and clever transfers Spurs or Arsenal challenging for a league title anytime soon.

Edited by pink_triangle

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

You are well down that list because Liverpool sell a small comparison of their tickets to season ticket holder in comparison to the other clubs. They would rather milk the day trippers than sell a cheaper season ticket.

It does not matter if you support your team because they were successful or because they are your local team. All that matters is you stick with them through the good times and the bad. Thats why I have no respect for FC United and hate them more than I hate the rags.

I followed City through the divisions, through the absolute dark times, now I have it good. If we went back to being shit I would still go and support them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

. The less popular clubs in the prem at the moment will gain fan bases if they manage to establish themselves in the prem for years to come. 

Do the stats show that attendance significantly improve as teams are more established in the league. I haven't got a clue if they do or not. I would have thought geography would limit a team like Bournemouth potential attendance.

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It does not matter if you support your team because they were successful or because they are your local team. All that matters is you stick with them through the good times and the bad. Thats why I have no respect for FC United and hate them more than I hate the rags.

I followed City through the divisions, through the absolute dark times, now I have it good. If we went back to being shit I would still go and support them.

FC United wasn’t set up because united were shit though. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

I know, thats even worse. You stick by your team no matter what.

It wasn’t as straight forward as that, it was because of a multiple of reasons. That’s why owners and football in general treat fans like shit. They will go and support there particular team no matter how shabby they get treated. 

Not a supporter of FC United, fair play to them making an actual stand against how shit fans get treated at top level football and especially at united. 

Just now, thetime said:

It wasn’t as straight forward as that, it was because of a multiple of reasons. That’s why owners and football in general treat fans like shit. They will go and support there particular team no matter how shabby they get treated. 

Not a supporter of FC United, fair play to them making an actual stand against how shit fans get treated at top level football and especially at united. 

They seen their arses over nothing. Then their great moral crusaders all had their fingers in the till. They sold out to the bbc for tv fixtures which they said they were against. Basically they are full of shit. I literally live on the same road as their ground so have seen what has gone on first hand. Their fans causd trouble everywhere they go and I can't wait for them to go bankrupt. As football fans go they are the lowest of the low.

28 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think that Leicester season was a bit of a break season which skews comparison to some extent. Taking that season out we have only had Chelsea, city and man u winning in recent times, which isn't a significant difference from the 2 who dominated previously.

Yeah, I guess me saying 'much more' competitive was an exaggeration but I certainly don't think it has got worse so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

29 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I do take your point there are more teams challenging, although I struggle to see even with luck and clever transfers Spurs or Arsenal challenging for a league title anytime soon.

I'm an Arsenal fan so I guess it is just wishful thinking ?

13 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Do the stats show that attendance significantly improve as teams are more established in the league. I haven't got a clue if they do or not. I would have thought geography would limit a team like Bournemouth potential attendance.

There is certainly an increase in attendance for clubs as the climb up the leagues and I don't see why that would change as they establish themselves in the prem. I have no idea about the stats though, it would be interesting to look into.

I think you are right that some clubs would have a low ceiling for their potential attendance, Bournemouth being one of them. Conversely, I can see a club like Brighton having a lot potential as a club due to the increasing popularity of the city. 

9 minutes ago, thetime said:

Well the only way of doing that is to stop going to the games and protect outside the stadium instead. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

They have a weird system at Anfield don’t they? My boss can’t get a premier league ticket for love or money, champions league though he goes home and away. Do they have 2 different systems?

uniteds way is a scam though, if you have a season ticket you have to have the cup tickets and money taken automatically. No matter if you can go or not, fans shafted as usual. 

Tickets are sold in tiers, so priority to people who go regularly, then member, then locals, then general sale, though by the time it gets to the members sale it's pretty much all gone. Mostly done two bulk sales in July and November (I think). Getting a one off ticket part-way through a season is nigh-on impossible at times.

35 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They seen their arses over nothing. Then their great moral crusaders all had their fingers in the till. They sold out to the bbc for tv fixtures which they said they were against. Basically they are full of shit. I literally live on the same road as their ground so have seen what has gone on first hand. Their fans causd trouble everywhere they go and I can't wait for them to go bankrupt. As football fans go they are the lowest of the low.

How do you think Salford will do in attracting fans when they get in the football league. They seem to be getting about 2k now, but I can't imagine there being a huge demand once they move up.

36 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Yeah, I guess me saying 'much more' competitive was an exaggeration but I certainly don't think it has got worse so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

?

I think it depends what metric you use for competitiveness. Do you use teams competing for the title, the gap between top and middle, the gap between the top and bottom etc.

38 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

?

I think you are right that some clubs would have a low ceiling for their potential attendance, Bournemouth being one of them. Conversely, I can see a club like Brighton having a lot potential as a club due to the increasing popularity of the city. 

I wonder if there is potential for crowd fatigue if you are not progressing. To me the thought of being a mid/lower premiership supporter looking each season at winning 10/11 games doesn't seem like fun. I'm sure they would reply to me being stuck in the national league for 10+ years isn't much fun either!