Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

4 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Youre right - but can you sit there and say that a well managed Villa isnt a premier league sized club?

Premier League sized of course but there is no reason to suggest that over time that couldn't change and a smaller club could not become established in the Premier League. Brighton for example. The signings haven't been that shrewd and the style of play has been very poor but they have some of the best facilities in Europe and if they managed to stay up for a few years I think they could end up being a lot more decent than they are now. The foundations are there. It's that these things take time, just like Villa's decline did.

You're right about Villa with regards to years of dodgy management though. Christian Purslow is there now after time with Liverpool and Chelsea and they're also co-owned by the same guy who owns Milwaukee Bucks and just ploughed $500 to keep them in Wisconsin and build a new arena so hopefully the club is pulling in the right direction.

Just now, jyoung said:

Also: No way Mane should be in the TOTY ahead of Hazard who as always, has carried Chelsea and has one the best goals and assists stats out of the lot. But oh well.

You serious? Mane head and shoulders above Hazard this season. I would say Mane has been Liverpool's second best player this season, would be my third placed player of the year. Van dijk and then sterling for me as player of the year, united fans scoffed at Mane when LVG was interested. 

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

So only 3 teams represented in the team of the year - one of them being Pogba? wtf - yet the league is laden with quality...

This is often the case, look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Team_of_the_Year_(2000s). Pretty much all the PFA team's of the year have no more than 5 teams represented. Not really worth reading much into anyway.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Top 4 "race" the easiest ive ever seen it. Bottom two relegated in March? Cmon lads. City getting another 100 points next year. Sooner the league wises up the better. The general standard is poor.

Any evidence that the top 4 is the 'easiest' you have ever seen it? As I keep reiterating all the teams challenging for the top 4 have done well in Europe. 

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Initially yes these teams would face problems. They would probably scrape through survival first season after promotion. But the bigger city teams have scale/fanbases that will grow over time and see them progress to stability and success.

A well managed Sunderland/Villa/Leeds/Forest and one of the Sheffield clubs (even Derby/Norwich/Boro? are more substantial clubs) "should" be in the Premier League instead of the relative minnows that are focussed only on survival each August. This would bring up the standard of the league IMO. The sth coast teams benefiting from proximity to London at the moment. Part of wider malaise.

This is a load of rubbish. From what you have said you just want the prem to return to exactly how it was 20-30 years ago.  Things move on, some clubs get worse and some get better. That's the beauty of football and how the relegation and promotion system works. The less popular clubs in the prem at the moment will gain fan bases if they manage to establish themselves in the prem for years to come. 

I'm not sure on the relevance of sth coast teams benefiting from being 'near' London. Any evidence for this point? Southampton and Bournemouth are a pretty similar distance from London than Bristol, Leicester and Norwich. Are teams in these areas also getting the mysterious benefit of being 'near' London as well then?

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

This is often the case, look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFA_Team_of_the_Year_(2000s). Pretty much all the PFA team's of the year have no more than 5 teams represented. Not really worth reading much into anyway.

Any evidence that the top 4 is the 'easiest' you have ever seen it? As I keep reiterating all the teams challenging for the top 4 have done well in Europe. 

This is a load of rubbish. From what you have said you just want the prem to return to exactly how it was 20-30 years ago.  Things move on, some clubs get worse and some get better. That's the beauty of football and how the relegation and promotion system works. The less popular clubs in the prem at the moment will gain fan bases if they manage to establish themselves in the prem for years to come. 

I'm not sure on the relevance of sth coast teams benefiting from being 'near' London. Any evidence for this point? Southampton and Bournemouth are a pretty similar distance from London than Bristol, Leicester and Norwich. Are teams in these areas also getting the mysterious benefit of being 'near' London as well then?

Thank you for them words.

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

You serious? Mane head and shoulders above Hazard this season. I would say Mane has been Liverpool's second best player this season, would be my third placed player of the year. Van dijk and then sterling for me as player of the year, united fans scoffed at Mane when LVG was interested. 

You take hazard out of Chelsea and I'm not sure they finish top half. The rest of them have been woeful while he's been excellent. 

I do think mane has been fantastic though. 

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Im here for sly winking digs at Utd chief. Arsed about "debate".

You state baseless comments and then refuse to respond when someone challenges them. I find that bizarre but I can see we are very different people. I'll leave you to your 'sly winking digs at Utd'

Pogba should be nowhere near that team of the year. Its also a joke Hazzard is not in it. Bernardo and Fernandinho have been the 2 best midfielders in the country this year. Mane, Sterling, Aguero and Hazzard have been the 4 best attackers.

Pogba had a 6 game spell where he scored a few penalties against fodder, after Ole got the job. He has been abysmal most of the time he has been at United. Now I know he scored 2 goals at the Etihad last season but City should have annihilated United that day. I can not think of one single big match in his entire stay at United where he has stood up and been the main man who has taken the game by the scruff of the neck and won United the game. He is just a media savvy Balotelli. Loads of ability by no heart and no brain.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Pogba should be nowhere near that team of the year. Its also a joke Hazzard is not in it. Bernardo and Fernandinho have been the 2 best midfielders in the country this year. Mane, Sterling, Aguero and Hazzard have been the 4 best attackers.

Pogba had a 6 game spell where he scored a few penalties against fodder, after Ole got the job. He has been abysmal most of the time he has been at United. Now I know he scored 2 goals at the Etihad last season but City should have annihilated United that day. I can not think of one single big match in his entire stay at United where he has stood up and been the main man who has taken the game by the scruff of the neck and won United the game. He is just a media savvy Balotelli. Loads of ability by no heart and no brain.

United fans would agree with all of this.

The players who voted for pogba should be made public. ?

17 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

You state baseless comments

In the past two decades, not only has the team of the year never had 2 teams dominate to the extent they have this year, involvement from only 3 teams has NEVER happened. 4 teams have contributed three times in the past 18 seasons including one where Utd absolutely dominated.

My point is not "baseless" as you suggest. Lets say we swap Pogba for Hazard. Its still never happened before. So GFY.

Edited by Wooderson

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

In the past two decades, not only has the team of the year had 2 teams dominate to the extent they have this year, 3 has also NEVER happened. 4 three times in the past 18 seasons including one where Utd absolutely dominated.

My point is not "baseless" as you suggest. Lets say we swap Pogba for Hazard. Its still never happened before. So GFY.

And you accuse me of losing my cool in here. Come on mate, you are far better than telling someone to GFY. 

Its a game at the end of the day.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

And you accuse me of losing my cool in here. Come on mate, you are far better than telling someone to GFY. 

Its a game at the end of the day.

Trolls on 'ere mate.

I called you a liar yesterday - what gives? ?

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

In the past two decades, not only has the team of the year had 2 teams dominate to the extent they have this year, 3 has also NEVER happened. 4 three times in the past 18 seasons including one where Utd absolutely dominated.

This is better, at least you are coming back with some kind of argument. I'm not trying to have a go at you, I just enjoy discussing football.

I disagree with the fact that there are only 3 teams represented is significant in regards to the quality of the league (which is what you claimed). As I said, the team of the year is normally dominated by a couple of teams. 

There is still a couple of points I made as well which I would be interested to see your opinion on.

10 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

So GFY.

Thank you for them words

Edited by CRW5252