Lineup 2020

randlfan

13 minutes ago, jump said:

Since it's not the same weekend is there any reason you'd think they wont play both festivals? There were a few high up spots on this year's line up like Frank Carter, Royal Blood, Anderson Paak etc were playing other fests and/or doing their own shows, even Liam Gallagher who is headlining isn't on an exclusive.

don't see many metal bands in reading without a metal headliner, that's what i mean. if slipknot played reading the mainstage lineup would be heavy oriented, like metallica in 2015

2 hours ago, Dukey said:

It is interesting there's been no MCR announcement for the UK yet... maybe this is just my false hope

MCR are playing MK. They are not playing Reading and Leeds. I have this on very good authority now.

Slipknot announcing a date at MK has convinced me it’s right. I’m sure MK hasn’t actually held a gig in ages.

2 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

don't see many metal bands in reading without a metal headliner, that's what i mean. if slipknot played reading the mainstage lineup would be heavy oriented, like metallica in 2015

Maybe but in the last few years the likes of Korn, Skindred, Five Finger Death Punch etc have played the mainstage without a metal headliner and it doesn't mean another heavy headliner like Bring Me The Horizon, Rage Against The Machine, Metallica etc aren't gonna be at R&L.

42 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

MCR are playing MK. They are not playing Reading and Leeds. I have this on very good authority now.

Slipknot announcing a date at MK has convinced me it’s right. I’m sure MK hasn’t actually held a gig in ages.

The MK Dons stadium hosted Take That, Rod Stewart and Rammstein in the summer, but the last thing at the Bowl was the EDC in 2016, and last full solo show was Foos' Wembley make-up dates in 2015.

Good to see it in use at long last.

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

R&L hasn’t changed. What’s changed is what is popular in the mainstream. R&L has always been the zeitgeist festival. 

Reading has changed but they have brought back recently a day of rockier stuff more which I think they obviously notice has a crowd as its selling the quickest day at the minute as well. If they can book it and its selling then booking more across the 3 days, rock is still doing well, it's the indie size that isn't as strong. I've got a 22 year old from Kent in my hostel here at the minute who's been to Reading and he was telling me even he thinks it's gone down hill and is shit now. I can go for a day ticket no problem but a weekend to hell with that.

5 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Dream is caput.

FB_IMG_1576083875435.jpg

That kills any chance that they'll be booked for Reading anytime soon again. Realistically as well they can book a bill suited to them on this, at Reading I don't think they could....the bonus with this is as well that its going to be very affordable for me compared to Download and MK Bowl is a 1000% better venue.

4 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Biffy Clyro. 

Don't see it after playing 13 and 16. People were complaining about Blink 182 returning and this would be no different. Not convinced they'd get it outright either.

6 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

People were complaining about Blink 182 returning and this would be no different. Not convinced they'd get it outright either.

I’m 100% biased, but I feel like Biffy have much more of a reason to return than Blink. Blink have seemed a bit irrelevant to me for years, while Biffy are still getting attention, albeit less than previously, for their newer projects. I doubt they’ll ever be solo headline level again, but I think they’re a safe booking, even if it isn’t particularly interesting.

1 minute ago, charlierc said:

How come the Biff were big enough to headline Reading outright in 2013 but only co-head in 2016?

2013 followed two very successful albums in Opposites and Only Revolutions, 2016 was linked to Ellipsis, which drew much less attention. I think that’s why.

36 minutes ago, Quorn said:

2013 followed two very successful albums in Opposites and Only Revolutions, 2016 was linked to Ellipsis, which drew much less attention. I think that’s why.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Obviously we don't ever know for sure but Fall Out Boy and Biffy Clyro was believed to be hastily put together after someone dropped out.

Both plausible. I think there's an element of it being a last minute arrangement, in much the same way its believed Kings of Leon were in 2017, but equally that they'd been away for a while and on the back of a new album that was less exposed than its 2 predecessors.

Just now, charlierc said:

Both plausible. I think there's an element of it being a last minute arrangement, in much the same way its believed Kings of Leon were in 2017, but equally that they'd been away for a while and on the back of a new album that was less exposed than its 2 predecessors.

It's not equal; the album came out months after they were announced to headline. Just like Opposites came out a week before they were announced to headline that year, so obviously had no bearing on what type of headliners they were..

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It's not equal; the album came out months after they were announced to headline. Just like Opposites came out a week before they were announced to headline that year, so obviously had no bearing on what type of headliners they were..

Hmmm... thought I'd go away and have a look. Gig announcement was made in March 2016, while the album was #1 on release in July 2016. So, point taken. Maybe I misremembered the chain of events and made a presumption based on radio play, as I don't recall Ellipsis having a song that got mainstream attention in the way I seem to recall Black Chandelier and Biblical did.

Also spotted a mistake by putting KoL at Reading 2017, not 2018 when they actually were there... maybe its a sign I should go to bed.

Saying that, Fall Out Boy got called back a bit soon after 2016 to a similarly lofty slot...

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

How come the Biff were big enough to headline Reading outright in 2013 but only co-head in 2016?

Something was definitely put together rather hastily with the co headline stuff as Biffy played longer and last at both sites so it didn't really play out as much of a co headline.

3 hours ago, Quorn said:

I’m 100% biased, but I feel like Biffy have much more of a reason to return than Blink. Blink have seemed a bit irrelevant to me for years, while Biffy are still getting attention, albeit less than previously, for their newer projects. I doubt they’ll ever be solo headline level again, but I think they’re a safe booking, even if it isn’t particularly interesting.

Blink yes are just a band now with fun tunes that people like from days back, nothing recently is important and I don't see the point with Matt Skiba over DeLonge even if he can't sing a sentence. If Biffy got booked with no opinions against due to time frame that will purely ignoring the same reaction as other bands. The the same happened with Eminem when it was in a short time span. I just don't think they should be come the KOL of TITP and V Fest.