New security measures in place

brettredmayne

I think there will be extra searches and people should pack light to make it easier for everybody. They won't search everybody though as that is impossible. depending on security there will probably be random car searches, a bit like coming back into the UK by ferry for example.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are saying bring less, makes sense to reduce the amount of rubbish and will pep up the stall takings. They may have a few more search tables but on the whole I don't think you will see much difference from previous years.

Simply stating everyone will be searched may be enough to put off a potential attacker however they simply cannot search everyone. It would be logistically impossible. Just do the math 5min per search (generous if people have to unwrap trolleys) * 120000 = 600000 mins = 10,000 hours, lets say 100 security searching simultaneously at the gates (usually about 20) = 100 hours. This would mean the last person searched would get in some time on Sunday.

Ain't gonna happen.

I haven't read past page 1 on this thread so forgive me if this has already been covered.

Sadly I am the advance party this year and so will be arriving at about 0500 with 9 tents ! :( Ergh. Anyway I shall be putting all the tents into me little trolley and the wrapping them in so they dont fall out, I will then happily cut it out with my penknife for them to search if they desire and then wrap it back up to continue on to the camping field.

Anyone see any major issues with that ?

Trying to think about this laterally, but still total guesswork - they can't search everyone.

As such, I'm sure police/security/CCTV will be profiling people for heavy searches. Assume most people will be patted down, random digging in smaller bags and heavier surveillance on the big stuff, which one assumes they'll be checking for explosive type issues - hence the seperate queue. 

Cant see any electronic airport style searching.

4 minutes ago, Franky said:

I haven't read past page 1 on this thread so forgive me if this has already been covered.

Sadly I am the advance party this year and so will be arriving at about 0500 with 9 tents ! :( Ergh. Anyway I shall be putting all the tents into me little trolley and the wrapping them in so they dont fall out, I will then happily cut it out with my penknife for them to search if they desire and then wrap it back up to continue on to the camping field.

Anyone see any major issues with that ?

I'd go for something like this rather than a penknife which may be a target for removal.

(shrink wrap cutter incase the image hasn't shown)

400300_2000x2000.jpg

Edited by squirrelarmy

16 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

This has nothing to do with the police/security wanting an excuse to interfere more in people's festival. Let's face it, after the cuts that have taken place, the police could do with less work to do, not more.

It also has nothing to do with drugs. As always, anyone who takes drugs in with them runs the risk of being searched, and those drugs being confiscated if found. Nothing changed, there.

And it certainly has fuck all to do with the monumental chip on your shoulder about which socioeconomic group festival-goers come from.

The Festival will have been in discussion with the police and security teams in light of recent events, and will have decided on a course of action to keep the people attending as safe as they can. Can't see a problem with that. If that makes me a 'mindless drone' (seemingly your standard response to anyone who disagrees with you), then so be it.

How can you possibly speak with such certainty? Because they said so? :lol: 

As I say, people like you will have nothing to worry about, so no need to get het up.

46 minutes ago, swede said:

Put your stash wrapped up in your tent, cant see them unwrapping peoples tents, then it would take forever to get people in.

They may ask to see inside the bags. I don't take anything naughty anyway so I'm not worried 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'd go for something like this rather than a penknife which may be a target for removal.

(shrink wrap cutter incase the image hasn't shown)

400300_2000x2000.jpg

My penknife is totally legal dude, doesn't even come under "points and blades" they would have no right/power or reason to take it, that said, if they said hand it over, I would. No point in being a dick when people are only trying to do thier jobs.

48 minutes ago, The Nal said:

People should adhere to the bring less request in general, threat or no threat.

Every year you see 100s of people bringing enough stuff in to last them for a year. Dragging trolleys through the place, pumping sweat, multiple trips to the car etc.

For what?

Well for me, it's for a bit of comfort as we're there for five days... an airbed rather than a rollmat, something to sit on at the campsite, that sort of thing. Although this is the first year since 1994 that I failed to get a ticket, so I'll worry about it again in a couple of years. :)

11 hours ago, russycarps said:

What an unpleasant situation. It puts me off going a bit.

And you just know the coppers will gleefully use this opportunity to discriminate against anyone who looks a little bit alternative. Extra vigorous searches for those poor souls. And God help them when they find their measly stash.

Of course Cordelia and Rupert will have nothing to worry about.

they will be profiling for sure...but not for people who might be bringing drugs in.

Just now, MJP said:

Hope that the old poppers don't get taken off me like they did at Birmingham Pride.

Let gays live, man. :(

Poppers are more a teenie halfway drug. Horrible stuff - and almost certainly in a glass bottle so probably better to bring some real drugs instead

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

How can you possibly speak with such certainty? Because they said so? :lol: 

As I say, people like you will have nothing to worry about, so no need to get het up.

Not getting het up at all, just pointing out that you're talking bollocks.

I would be interested to know what you mean by 'people like you', though, considering you know virtually nothing about me.

Just now, frostypaw said:

Poppers are more a teenie halfway drug. Horrible stuff - and almost certainly in a glass bottle so probably better to bring some real drugs instead

Don't worry, I do. ;)

Do love a bit of poppers o'clock at the NYC Downlow though. :D

1 minute ago, Thunderstruck said:

they will be profiling for sure...but not for people who might be bringing drugs in.

As I said in another thread I'm half Egyptian so I know I'm going to be searched regardless (as I always do)  - just curious how many eFestivalers have a similar ethnicity,  if they do end up doing racial profiling? Is it just going to be me and 3 or 4 others unpacking all their shit?! :lol:

26 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

This has nothing to do with the police/security wanting an excuse to interfere more in people's festival. Let's face it, after the cuts that have taken place, the police could do with less work to do, not more.

It also has nothing to do with drugs. As always, anyone who takes drugs in with them runs the risk of being searched, and those drugs being confiscated if found. Nothing changed, there.

And it certainly has fuck all to do with the monumental chip on your shoulder about which socioeconomic group festival-goers come from.

The Festival will have been in discussion with the police and security teams in light of recent events, and will have decided on a course of action to keep the people attending as safe as they can. Can't see a problem with that. If that makes me a 'mindless drone' (seemingly your standard response to anyone who disagrees with you), then so be it.

Russy can certainly be a tit but you're kidding yourself if you don't think there are those in the police/security/local council who have a massive throbbing hard on at the thought of stricter searches and increased security presence.

It's likely to cause longer delays, cause undue stress on those bringing in recreational drugs and I'm highly sceptical that it'll be of any use protecting anyone.  However given the amount of people on here expressing concern after recent events the one thing it may do is help people feel safe which might be worth the other issues.

Not had to use the car parks before so no idea if possible, but could they carry out searches before leaving the car park and make the actual wristband queues move as normal? Would spread the load off the gates, just the coaches to deal with there.

Went to Disney Paris recently and had to put bags through the airport type conveyor belt before getting to proper entrance. Don't know how easy these would be to set up ad hoc though.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

As I said in another thread I'm half Egyptian so I know I'm going to be searched regardless (as I always do)  - just curious how many eFestivalers have a similar ethnicity,  if they do end up doing racial profiling? Is it just going to be me and 3 or 4 others unpacking all their shit?! :lol:

lol, yeh it sucks for you I guess! My guess is it will actually be random, with extra searches based on anybody who raises suspicions. I really don't think the searches for 90% will be much more than usual.

10 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Im pakistani. Ill be shaving beforehand for sure! At glasto, ive been searched once in 8 years of going. I'll be searched again for sure!

11 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

My other half is South Asian. With a beard.

He loves a bit of racial profiling, but I am reconsidering how we split the load. Usually I go off with the tent and he lugs the trolley behind, but might swap that round this year.