2019 festival

6 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Bastille are subbing Foos. Better to just accept it now than cause yourself more pain down the line. 

It's not as bad as I thought it'd be, going back through their songs of the 1st album I could probably cope with their set if I'm being honest. Plus it's on the Friday so hopefully it'll only get better from there. 

Also wouldn't be surprised to see No Rome make an appearance on the 1975's day, especially with Pale Waves also performing.

8 minutes ago, MIchael_scarn said:

It's not as bad as I thought it'd be, going back through their songs of the 1st album I could probably cope with their set if I'm being honest. Plus it's on the Friday so hopefully it'll only get better from there. 

Also wouldn't be surprised to see No Rome make an appearance on the 1975's day, especially with Pale Waves also performing.

Yeah, I meant I've gone past the Bastille thing comfortably now but they are a band with enough singalongs to get through it if nothing else good enough clashes. It's one of those where its happy enough for those you really want to see.

Just now, thewayiam said:

Yeah, I meant I've gone past the Bastille thing comfortably now but they are a band with enough singalongs to get through it if nothing else good enough clashes. It's one of those where its happy enough for those you really want to see.

Think people just wanted it to be jam packed going in to what is the biggest headliner of the weekend. It could have been better but it also easily could have been worse.

BMTH have been playing Medusa from Count Your Bessings and They Have No Reflections from their 2004 EP on their current tour (as well as a couple of Suicide Season tracks) and I would have loved it if they were headlining if they played them at R&L, the reaction would be just as priceless as it is on the videos of this tour :lol: 

Consequently, I’d theyre available in Ticketmaster’s Black Friday sale tomorrow, I’m going to go to the Leeds date on Saturday night in hope they play them.  

Edited by Andre91

5 minutes ago, VCK said:

Wait, are people claiming that 2009 was a good line up? It was one of the worst, and I remember thinking "what the fuck?" when I first saw it.

Was preceded by and followed by two of the best line ups ever though.

I wasn’t there and It certainly lacked a bit of diversity but for me Radiohead doing a In Rainbows heavy set and arctic monkeys just after releasing for me there best album would have been a dream for me if i was old enough to have went back then 

1 minute ago, dum surfer said:

I wasn’t there and It certainly lacked a bit of diversity but for me Radiohead doing a In Rainbows heavy set and arctic monkeys just after releasing for me there best album would have been a dream for me if i was old enough to have went back then 

One of the strongest sets of headliners that I can remember, but the undercard was weak. I mean, Bloc Party subbing for the second year in a row.

Hasn't aged well either, with a lot of the bands in high slots that probably wouldn't play those slots in 2019.

Radiohead were amazing to be fair, I wasn't even really a fan before as I didn't "get" them but I fell in love with their music after that show.  Arctic Monkeys, however, were absolute garbage, still one of the worst live performances I'd seen by any band. Kings of Leon were disappointing too.

14 minutes ago, Diamond24 said:

Arctic Monkeys weren't helped by following the energy of The Prodigy, and the fact that Humbug had only just been released so the majority of the crowd didn't know the songs. 

They played enough stuff from their first two albums but it just wasn't their night. Alex Turner has no charisma or stage presence, or at least he didn't back then.

The Prodigy were really good that night, even though their constant shouting of "all my fucking people! All my Leeds warriors!" wore thin after about three songs. Heard some real horror stories about people getting crushed down the front though, and apparently one of my mates passed out.

Similarly, Kaiser Chiefs played a really lively set and they were followed by Kings of Leon who have never been known for their onstage energy.

Edited by VCK

3 hours ago, theevilfridge said:

I’m actually impressed that from all my time on eFests this is probably the most wrong statement I’ve come across. And I look at the politics discussions! ?

Yeah I was at Leeds fest 09 and it was probably the best line-up of the ten I went to.

AM are boring live shocker! They always have been.Great on record but absolutely no stage presence or charisma live. Such a shame. I saw Foos in 2011 and although Dave et al tried much harder they weren't much better. Flat and weak. I'm going to give them a 2nd chance next year but I doubt they'll change my mind as I find their recorded music pretty flat and weak too. Just my tuppence ha'penny, I'll go sit in front of the fire with my slippers on now.

1 hour ago, VCK said:

Wait, are people claiming that 2009 was a good line up? It was one of the worst, and I remember thinking "what the fuck?" when I first saw it.

Was preceded by and followed by two of the best line ups ever though.

Nah, not really, just that the argument against it revolved around questioning the headliners at that point in their respective careers, which is complete bollocks.

Gutted that I didn't start going until 2010, just because of missing Radiohead - I think that was the last time they played Just?

2013 remains my favourite of those I've been to.

8 minutes ago, jj200 said:

I reckon Foos will get a longer set because their shows are 2 hours plus

Going by clashfinder, it's only Mumford, Metallica + RHCP (think they underplayed?) that've been given 2 hours in the past few years (1.45 for KOL last year), but I'd imagine if there was any case for a slightly longer set, it'll be the Foos.

Edit: Foo's got 3 hours in 2012, with the Cure playing 2hrs30. Something may have changed since then though.

Edited by frontsidecab

14 minutes ago, frontsidecab said:

Going by clashfinder, it's only Mumford, Metallica + RHCP (think they underplayed?) that've been given 2 hours in the past few years (1.45 for KOL last year), but I'd imagine if there was any case for a slightly longer set, it'll be the Foos.

Edit: Foo's got 3 hours in 2012, with the Cure playing 2hrs30. Something may have changed since then though.

Says on the RnL site Foos have a 3 hour set. Would guess 3 hours at Reading, 2.5 hours at Leeds.